Rob Vrabel of Farmington Hills, MI, member of the Kuhnhenn Guild of Brewers Homebrew Club, won a gold medal in Category #13: Stout during the 2014 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Grand Rapids, MI. Vrabel’s Stout was chosen as the best among 708 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2014 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Rob’s Oatmeal Stout | Oatmeal Stout
- 17.375 lb (7.88 kg) pale malt
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) flaked oats
- 1.5 lb (0.68 kg) Victory malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) 80° L caramel malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) black malt
- 0.75 lb (340 g) chocolate malt
- 0.75 lb (340 g) pale chocolate malt
- 4.0 oz Golding pellet hops, 18.5% a.a. (60 min)
- WLP002 English ale yeast (2 vials)
- Original Gravity: 1.062
- Final Gravity: 1.016
- ABV: 6.04%
- Single step infusion mash at 154° F (68° C) for 60 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 14 days at 68° F (20° C).