Jonathan Permen of Renton, WA, member of the Impaling Alers, won a gold medal in Category #1: Light Lager during the 2012 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Seattle, WA. Permen’s Light Lager was chosen as the best among 200 final round entries in the category and helped earn the 2012 NHC Homebrewer of the Year title.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2012 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Sitzung Helles | Light Lager
- 14.25 lb (6.46 kg) German Pils malt
- 0.44 lb (200 g) Munich malt
- 0.16 lb (73 g) biscuit malt
- 0.16 lb (73 g) melanoidin malt
- 1.85 oz (52 g) Hallertau Mittelfrüh (FWH)
- Wyeast No. 2308 Munich lager yeast (starter)
- 3 g CaCl2
- 1 g MgSO4
- Original Gravity: 1.051
- Final Gravity: 1.01
- ABV: 5.38%
- IBU: 19.6
- SRM: 4.6
- Single infusion mash at 154° F (68° C) for 60 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 6 weeks at 48° F (9° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.5 vol) 1 package gelatin finings (in keg).