Randy Scorby of Baker City, OR, member of the Good Libations, won a gold medal in Category #22: Smoke-Flavored and Wood-Aged Beerduring the 2011 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in San Diego, CA. Scorby’s Smoke-Flavored and Wood-Aged Beer was chosen as the best among 289 final round entries in the category and helped earn the 2011 NHC Homebrewer of the Year title.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2011 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Smoke Screen | Classic Rauchbier
- 6.9 lb (3.13 kg) Weyermann Rauch malt
- 1.1 lb (498 g) Weyermann pils malt
- 1.0 lb (454 g) Weyermann Munich II malt
- 0.7 lb (317 g) 51° L caramel-Vienna malt
- 0.1 lb (45 g) Carafa II malt
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Tettnang hops, 4% a.a. (60 min)
- 0.3 oz (8.5 g) Tettnang hops, 4% a.a. (5 min)
- Wyeast No. 2633 Octoberfest lager yeast blend starter
- Original Gravity: 1.057
- Final Gravity: 1.013
- ABV: 5.78%
- IBU: 27
- SRM: 12
- Single decoction mash schedule. Mash in at 122° F (50° C), hold for 10 minutes. Pull a thick decoction and hold at 154° F (68° C) for 20 minutes, and boil for 10 minutes. Return to main mash and hold at 154° F (68° C) for 40 minutes or until conversion is achieved. Sparge with 168° F (76° C) water.
- Primary fermentation for 48 days at 48° F (9° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.5 vol).