John Jurgensen of Friendswood, TX, member of the Bay Area Mashtronauts, won a gold medal in Category #28: Specialty Cider and Perry during the 2006 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Orlando, FL. Jurgensen’s Specialty Cider and Perry was chosen as the best among 37 final round entries in the category and helped earn the 2006 NHC Cidermaker of the Year title.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2006 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Spiced Cider | Cider and Perry
- 5.0 gal (19 L) pasteurized Knudsen's organic cider
- Cote de Blanc yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.05
- Final Gravity: 1
- ABV: 6.56%
- Cider: After racking to tertiary, stabilize and clarify. Rack again. Sweeten to taste. I used ~4.5 tsp per pound cider. Force carbonate to taste. Spices: soak cinnamon and nutmeg in Everclear in separate jars. Add spices to taste. I use 32 drops cinnamon and 8 drops nutmeg per pound cider.
- Primary fermentation for 7 days at 70° F (21° C) in glass.
- Secondary fermentation for 7 days at 70° F (21° C) in glass.
- Tertiary fermentation for “it seems like a long time” at 70° F (21° C) in glass.