The following beer recipe from Drew Beechum is featured in the July/August 2016 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Join the American Homebrewers Association or start your 30-day free trial to access the Zymurgy digital archive and other exclusive member benefits!
This refreshing wheat beer has an IPA-level hopping that is sure to please palates of all kinds. Wheat beer sweetness paired with tropical fruit hops makes Beechum’s spin on a white session IPA a winner!
The Tropical Session White IPA | India Pale Ale
- 5.5 lb (2.27 kg) domestic pale malt
- 4.0 lb (1.81 kg) white wheat malt
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Warrior hops, 16% a.a. (60 min)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Amarillo hops, 8.5% a.a. (knockout/whirlpool)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Citra hops, 11% a.a. (knockout/whirlpool)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Galaxy hops, 11% a.a. (knockout/whirlpool)
- White Labs WLP090 San Diego ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.046
- ABV: 4.5%
- IBU: 55
- SRM: 5.3
- Boil Time: 90 minutes
- Efficiency: 75%
Mash at 154° F (68° C) for 60 minutes.
Substitute 4.2 lb (1.9 kg) pale malt extract syrup for the pale malt and 3 lb (1.36 kg) wheat malt extract syrup for the wheat malt.