Paul Sangster of Carlsbad, CA, member of the QUAFF (Quality Ale and Fermentation Fraternity), won a gold medal in Category #5: Bock during the 2011 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in San Diego, CA. Sangster’s Bock was chosen as the best among 230 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2011 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Tri-Paul-Bock | Bock
- 14.75 lb (6.69 kg) Munich malt
- 4.5 lb (2.04 kg) German pils malt
- 2.75 lb (1.25 kg) Caramel Munich malt
- 2.0 oz (56 g) Hallertau pellet hops, 3% a.a. (60 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Hallertau pellet hops, 3% a.a. (30 min)
- WLP833 German Bock yeast (2.5 L starter)
- Original Gravity: 1.088
- Final Gravity: 1.02
- ABV: 8.93%
- IBU: 24
- SRM: 21
- Mash grains at 155° F (68° F) for 60 minutes. Mash out at 168° F (76° C) for 5 minutes. Freeze-concentrate post fermentation.
- Primary fermentation for 3 months at 35° F (2° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.4 vol).