Vincent Rokke of Fargo, ND, member of the Prairie Homebrewing Companions, won a gold medal in Category #1: Light Lager during the 2011 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in San Diego, CA. Rokke’s Light Lager was chosen as the best among 191 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2011 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Viking Gold | Light Lager
- 18.0 lb (8.16 kg) German Pilsner malt
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) dextrin malt
- 2.0 oz (56 g) Hallertau Hersbrucker pellet hops, 4.6% a.a. (60 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Hallertau Hersbrucker pellet hops, 4.6% a.a. (1 min)
- 1.5 oz (42 g) Hallertau Hersbrucker pellet hops, 4.6% a.a. (0 min)
- 2 tsp. Irish moss (15 min)
- Wyeast No. 2206 Bavarian Lager yeast (3500 mL starter)
- Original Gravity: 1.048
- Final Gravity: 1.012
- ABV: 4.73%
- Mash in at 142° F (61° C) and hold for 30 minutes. Raise to 152° F (67° C) and hold for 30 minutes. Mash out at 165° F (64° C) for 15 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 18 days at 50° F (10° C)
- Secondary fermentation transfer to keg and slowly drop temperature to 35° F (2° C)
- Forced CO2 to carbonate