Here is a summary of the October meeting of your American Homebrewers Association Governing Committee (GC).
- The preliminary AHA plan for the coming year has been submitted to the Brewers Association (BA) Board for review. Any changes that need to be made will be completed and submitted to the BA Board in December.
- The AHA is working to improve content in Zymurgy and on the AHA website. This is a top priority to generate more outreach to the general membership, drive up web traffic, and encourage new and renewal membership. Author outreach, including outside sources, is also a priority and the membership is encouraged to either offer ideas for homebrewing articles to the AHA.
- Another top priority for the AHA is hiring a new director. The interview process for applicants will begin in the next late October
- There will be a focus group at the next BA Board meeting where our two BA Board representatives, Jill Marilley and Roxanne Westendorf, will discuss the various programs the AHA provides
- GC Secretary Goose Steingass gave an update on his continuing work to push a homebrewing bill through the Ohio Legislature.
- The nomination window for candidates to fill the three open seats on the Governing Committee opened on October 14 and extends through November 30. Potential candidates need to submit a candidate statement and a headshot photo no later than December 8. Voting will begin February 15, 2022 after the candidate list is published in Zymurgy and extend through March 31. Results of the election will be announced in April.
- Finally, we held a discussion on the changes to the 2022 National Homebrewing Competition which will be announced to the membership at a later date.