Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Entries closed....  (Read 28453 times)

Offline donger

• 1st Kit
  • "Mongo like candy..."
NHC Entries closed....
« on: March 05, 2012, 09:35:26 am »
Dang.... Why not limit it to 4 entries per brewer max in your own region? You brewing machines that enter 15+ cannot be that desperate for ribbons. C'mon!

Formerly the Queen of Beer. Currently the Old Bag.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: NHC Entries closed....
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:45:00 am »
I feel your pain, but there's more than 30K AHA members, and what, a million or so homebrewers?
They can't please everyone.  Heck, I brewed 42 times last year; 4 entries is a 3-day weekend.   ;D

cheers--
--Michael

Offline donger

• 1st Kit
  • "Mongo like candy..."
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:51:51 am »
I dunno... something needs to be changed. There has been this problem in the past - I think capping the number of entries per brewer at 4 allows more to participate.
Just my .02

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:24:35 am »
We're definitely looking for a solution.  I'll pass along the 4 entry limit idea.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mkultra69

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:33:56 am »
I agree something needs to be fixed. I've been planing on this for a year now (as I live 20min from Seattle) and now what's the point. Every thing on the west cost was filled up by the time I got home from work Friday night. Think I'm going to end up getting a refund on the confrence tickets now.

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:46:30 am »
I say boohoo to you if you missed the entry window.  Apparently you have different priorities than entering NHC if you could not make any of your beers in before the number hit 7500.

You could have entered 5 different regions all day saturday.

I don't think there should EVER be a limit on how much homebrew you enter!!!!  Maybe a solution is to add like 5-10 more "first-round" judging centers and then make it a three round competition.

OR

Early bird gets the worm. 

its funny how most people who complain about homebrew competitions, never volunteer for them.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:57:59 am »
Using Gordon Strongs 3 entries to 1 medal ratio, if you want to be confident that one of your beers will get a medal, 9 entries is not a lot i.e. 3 advance and 1 places in the 2nd round.

Things have changed a lot since I went to my first NHC in 2003.  I have entered the last 3 and the competition is getting pretty tough.

The conference location will be an issue in the future, it will need to be in a bigger convention city with good sized hotels that can handle a bunch of people.  I remember when the NCAA final 4 was plangyed in 20,000 seat arenas, or smaller.  It used to be at Kemper arena in KC often when the NCAA was headquartered in KC.  Not anymore, it is in larger cities with a stadium large enough to seat a huge crowd, adn the hotels that can handle that.  Not saying it will be that big, but the needs of a larger conference will force changes to where it can be.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 11:02:19 am »
  It used to be at Kemper arena in KC often when the NCAA was headquartered in KC.  Not anymore, it is in larger cities with a stadium large enough to seat a huge crowd, adn the hotels that can handle that.  Not saying it will be that big, but the needs of a larger conference will force changes to where it can be.

Outdoor football stadiums!! ;D

Mkultra69:  Were you not aware that you didn't have to enter in your region?  Sorry you missed the cutoff, but I'd still go to the conference, especially when it's in your backyard!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:06:19 am »
Think I'm going to end up getting a refund on the confrence tickets now.
Dont' do that.  There is a lot more at the NHC than just the competition.
Brew on

Offline donger

• 1st Kit
  • "Mongo like candy..."
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:19:40 am »
I say boohoo to you if you missed the entry window.  Apparently you have different priorities than entering NHC if you could not make any of your beers in before the number hit 7500.

You could have entered 5 different regions all day saturday.

I don't think there should EVER be a limit on how much homebrew you enter!!!!  Maybe a solution is to add like 5-10 more "first-round" judging centers and then make it a three round competition.

OR

Early bird gets the worm. 

its funny how most people who complain about homebrew competitions, never volunteer for them.

Edith,
You make a lot of assumptions...  I volunteer for a lot of comps in several states and am also an exam grader. ANYWAY - I think capping is a good way to allow lots of brewers to push forward their best beers to the competition. I also think registering in your own region is best, too.

Lots of people have other priorities over entering in the first 24hrs... like, oh, maybe, working?  Geezus you're a insensitive goob.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:21:26 am by donger »

Offline aod

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 11:27:55 am »
I've judged at the NHC First Round a couple times and found there to be quite a mix of good beers and problematic beers.  Definitively folks apply the "shotgun entry method" instead of sending their best forward.  Or is it, Enter Early, Enter Often? ;)

My opinion is the judging is often not the best larger competitions due to the number of entries, workload per judge, time constraints, etc.  Entering beer in the NHC to get feedback is not the best idea; especially at $10 an entry to boot.

~Adam

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 11:28:19 am »
Question:  About what % of entries come from non-AHA members?

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:48 am »
The conference location will be an issue in the future, it will need to be in a bigger convention city with good sized hotels that can handle a bunch of people.  I remember when the NCAA final 4 was plangyed in 20,000 seat arenas, or smaller... 

I think a better analogy for homebrew competitions would be a bowling league.

There is a lot more at the NHC than just the competition.

Amen brother!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 11:34:19 am »

I think a better analogy for homebrew competitions would be a bowling league.

Puna...this wasn't your house I hope:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-05/hawaii-lava-evacuation/53361612/1

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 11:42:43 am »
Question:  About what % of entries come from non-AHA members?

I'm not 100% certain, but I think you have to be an AHA member to enter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell