Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is your perfect spring beer?  (Read 5223 times)

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
What is your perfect spring beer?
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:55:50 am »
I'm prepping for my first AG brew day sometime in the next few weeks and I'm having a heck of a time deciding on what to brew!  So, I'm turn to the community for inspiration.  What type of beer really screams "spring" to you? 

To give you a picture of my current cellar, I have a holiday spiced ale, ESB, Irish red and pumpkin porter on draft (yes, I really need to get through that holiday themed beer faster!)  In (recent) bottles I have a milk stout which came out superbly and a hoppy brown gone wrong.  I don't really know how to describe it, it's not really a brown ale and it's not particularly hoppy...  but it's good!  On deck I have an applewine that's currently cold crashing and a pre-anchor steam beer that should be ready to bottle later this week, plus a cranberry braggot that probably has another month to go before I do much else with it.

I'm looking for something medium bodied that will be ready soon, and I'm perfectly happy to use a kit.  So, what do you think, world?  What's your perfect spring beer?

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: What is your perfect spring beer?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:59:23 am »
I personally like a good Pale Ale or IPA for Spring.  My Pale Ales and IPAs are session style beers, so not very high ABV, usually high 4s low 5s.  After drinking a lot of malty dark beers for winter, I'm looking forward to some lighter body, hoppy beers.  My wife is asking me to brew a Wit (I currently have a Hefe on keg for her). 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:21:39 am »
I personally like a good Pale Ale or IPA for Spring. 

I couldn't agree more.  I think a nice hoppy APA at 4.5% or so would be perfect.  Still flavourful and full bodied enough for the not quite summer days but more refreshing than some of the ones you mentioned.  You could come up with some sort of Easter themed name to keep with your holiday trend.

But, I'd also get to work on some pilsners or kolsch right away to give them good lagering time before summer really gets here.  I'm finding fall and winter beers can be ready fast but summer beers take some forethougt.  My next big batch is going to be 10 gals of pilsner to have ready for July.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:26:31 am »
Never really liked the traditional spring beers that much or the summer ones for that matter.  But I guess I'd go with a nice pale ale, also.  I'm starting to not really care what season it is for beer, if I have good beer on tap, it doesn't matter what the weather is like.
Jesse

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:29:54 am »
As the weather warms up and outdoor starts I like to have a farmhouse ale or wheat on tap,  Nice refreshing lawn mower beers.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:36:26 am »
Never really liked the traditional spring beers that much or the summer ones for that matter.  But I guess I'd go with a nice pale ale, also.  I'm starting to not really care what season it is for beer, if I have good beer on tap, it doesn't matter what the weather is like.

I hear ya.  A good beer is a good beer anytime of the year.  I usually brew certain styles for certain seasons due to requests from friends and family. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:44:56 am »
Last year I made an orange blossom honey-amarillo pale I called Brewce SpringSting. I used 3 lbs. of honey for a 6.5 gallon batch so it was a bit sweet for me but turned out to be my Mom's favorite.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 08:57:42 am »
I agree with the others that a Pale Ale is a good choice. I also have to throw in an American Honey Wheat as my top choice. Make it a little higher than session strength at 6-6.5% abv.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:33:23 am »
I usually have a pilsner or two on tap throughout the spring/summer months, either a CAP or a BoPils or both.  Last year I brewed a kolsch that went down nicely and I'm trying to figure out when I can fit that in my brewing schedule again.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 11:18:21 am »
Here's my flow of the seasons for my beer tastes, along with my go-to commercial versions:

Spring - Pilsners (Lagunitas, Saranac BoPils) & Kölsch (Reissdorf, Gaffel)

Summer - APA (Ballast Point Yellowtail, Otter Creek Pale Ale - will be sadly missed/need to find a good clone) & IPA (too many to name)

Fall - Porter (Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter), Misc. Flavored beers (Shipyard Pumpkinhead, Oaked Arrogant Bastard)

Winter - Doppelbock (Celebrator), Imperial anything (90-minute IPA, anything from Heavy Seas, etc)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 11:23:03 am »
An Ordinary Bitter or Mild and Hefeweizen. Kolsch is nice too for Spring.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 12:47:20 pm »
I like to have an ESB and IPA on tap for the milder weather seasons. However I keep a Munich Helles and/or Pilsner on tap at all times.

I would like to brew an APA for this coming spring....which starts next Tuesday.  :o
Ron Price

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 12:58:40 pm »
i have Hefeweizen, English IPA, a Steam beer, Milk Stout and a Scottish 70 on tap for spring.

Summer time will be Kolsch, BoPils, Wit, Hefeweizen, ESB, American IPA, and blueberry Oatmeal Stout.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 01:05:50 pm »
Brown, Bitter, American Amber, California Common, or Saison/farmhouse are where my mind is....something with still a little meat on the bone...saving the Kolsch (brew now, for later), PA, blonde, hefe, wit, Pilsners for when it is hot out. Of course, I don't live in the south (where hot is perhaps already)....if I lived further north, I would include lower shilling Scottish, Brown Porter, and English Stout as spring beers.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 05:32:49 pm »
i usually make a cream ale with fresh spruce tips.