Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many of you filter your homebrew before kegging/bottling?  (Read 36060 times)

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
And are there any other benefits than having a nice pretty looking clear beer?

Thanks.
I don't drink a lot but I do drink frequently.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How many of you filter your homebrew before kegging/bottling?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:15:29 am »
None that I'm aware of.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:13:24 pm »
I have a filter setup, but I've only used a couple of times.  It seemed like more trouble than it's worth, and it wasted beer.  I let time and gravity clear my beer now.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:21:31 pm »
I fine my beer pretty regularly, but don't filter. Personally I feel fining accomplishes the same thing without the hassle of using a filter.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:31:00 pm »
Time and gravity, along with some gelatin do the trick.  I do find that the beers taste better to me when they drop bright.  No yeast and hop tannins to give harsh flavors.

Edit - there will be some yeast and tannins, but the lower levels give a better tasting beer to me.  Always frustrating when the keg blows once a beer is bright and drinking the best, so the gelatin helps.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:32:53 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:43:07 pm »
A little whirlfloc and time seems to be working well for me.  Still haven't tried the gelatin technique.  Anyone aware of pros/cons for gelatin versus whirlfloc/irish moss?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:45:34 pm »
Time and gravity, along with some gelatin do the trick.  I do find that the beers taste better to me when they drop bright.  No yeast and hop tannins to give harsh flavors.

Edit - there will be some yeast and tannins, but the lower levels give a better tasting beer to me.  Always frustrating when the keg blows once a beer is bright and drinking the best, so the gelatin helps.
Exactly. The beer loses some of the harsher, green beer flavors and tastes smoother when bright/clear.

A little whirlfloc and time seems to be working well for me.  Still haven't tried the gelatin technique.  Anyone aware of pros/cons for gelatin versus whirlfloc/irish moss?
I use both. (although I admit the gelatin gets used more when I forget kettle finings)
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:12:31 pm »
I bought a filter setup 20 some odd years ago and I used it exactly once and I learned three things as a result: 
1) Filtered clarity adds nothing to the flavor of the beer (and in fact may take something away).
2) Filtering is a pain in the arse
3) Beer can get just as clear on its own when it's properly aged

Ever since then, all of my beers spend a few weeks in a carboy in a fridge held at 33°F,  and then they get transferred  to the keg for serving (and from which I can also  bottle as needed for gifting).  It's clear and bright from the first pour to the last...no sludge.

Commercial breweries (especially, it seems, many of the newer ones) rush their beer out and filter it for clarity.  Not being in a particular hurry myself, I just let nature do the work.   And it's one less piece of kit to clean afterwards.
After that first use, my filter housing became a simple carbon filter through which I run my municipal water for brewing.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 01:21:14 pm »
I do not filter nor did I ever want to filter. In fact I don't even bother with whirlflock or gelatin most of the time. Gravity and time make it clear and I actually like my brew cloudy. Adds a little rustic vibe to it.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 03:00:28 pm »
Thanks everyone, the responses have been very helpful as always.
I don't drink a lot but I do drink frequently.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 06:09:29 pm »
You all guys are wusies!!

I filter and I LOVE it.
I can not think of better spend time with my beer then filtering ;).

Now seriously.
In homebrew setup geletine will do what you need to do.
If you want to filter it can get quite involved.
You can filter carbonated or non carbonate beer but it would require different set up.
In Going Pro forum I described how to filter carbonated beer.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 05:50:19 am »
I've found that, once I had calcium, pH and conversion worked out, most every beer is bright by about 6 weeks from brewing without any further intervention.  I naturally carbonate most beers, so that is 1-2 weeks fermentation, 2-3 weeks warm conditioning, then 1-2 weeks cold conditioning.

Offline pikelakehomebrew

• Cellarman
  • brewing in the north metro
    • Pike Lake Home Brew
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:50:34 am »
In addition to Whirlfloc and Irish Moss, Clarity Ferm (a WYeast product) works pretty good to.  You pitch one vial (per five gallons) right before pitching the yeast and that helps quite a bit, too.  For s#its and giggles, I decided to pitch the Clarity Ferm to a test batch of witbier wort in the carboy, and holy crap did it clear out!  We're talking "read a newspaper through my three-gallon glass carboy" clear.  Obviously you don't want a crystal clear witbier (or any other style where clarity is not wanted), but the experiment illustrated just how well it works (for me — your mileage may vary).

I have also read from a couple sources that it even helps break down glutens and denatures them to a large extent, making beer more tolerable to those with mild to moderate issues with glutens.  But don't quote me on that.  WYeast hasn't released any studies on the denaturing of glutens with Clarity Ferm and to what degree of parts-per-million the gluten remains.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:53:14 am by pikelakehomebrew »
pikelakehomebrew.com
On tap: Oktoberfest, Belgian Dubbel, Peach Blonde Ale, Surly Furious clone

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 10:41:31 am »
all i do is pour my beer through a stainless steel wire collander when i am putting it from kettle to fermenter. i have a cap that i bottled a week ago.  one bottle is in a 1 liter plastic bottle so i can check conditioning. it is already crystal clear.
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 10:56:08 am »
I don't. Do use whirlflock tabs when I remember. Also have a couple year old box of gelatin that's never been used.

Not that big of a deal to me. I think there's a small difference in taste if the beer is young but time is the homebrewer's friend.

I just can't be bothered really.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis