Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BASEBALL!  (Read 16121 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
BASEBALL!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 12:11:00 am »
I used to list football as my #1, but with all the stuff coming up recently about the sort of post-career problems these guys are having, and the whole Saints pay-per-hit thing, I'm kinda getting turned off to it. Id say baseball, rugby and cricket are all vying for the #1 spot. I like baseball more than the other two for the moment, mostly for nostalgia. About rugby, you'd think soccer/foot would be the big thing for everybody around here, but because of the hooliganism and general attitude of the fans, most 'family' types are flocking to rugby. Everybody has a good time, eats good food, doesn't start fights.

Weaz a big reason for liking baseball is that you don't have to stay glued to the tv to see everything. It's even better over the radio.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: BASEBALL!
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 12:52:25 am »
I think baseball is about my 20th or 30th favorite sport, behind hurling, football, hockey, and lacrosse.  Before you get to baseball there are some placeholder spots for random Olympic sports like biathlon.  I don't mind going to a baseball game, but that's different.  Watching on TV is too boring.

On the other hand, golf is my favorite sport to nap to.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 05:50:39 am »

If the pro teams from Japan played teams from the US during the regular season and could compete for the World Series Title, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  Instead it's a publicity stunt and seems like a MLB comment on US fans.

/stepping off high horse now/

I'm glad Ichiro had a good game!

Paul

I think the dumbest part of this is that both teams have more Spring Training games next week. I guess it's to let them get over jet lag, but it seems ridiculous to play two games that count and then play more practice games.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 06:28:06 am »

+1 But I find baseball is close to even here.  Going to a game is just as much about a tour of the stadium for me anymore.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
BASEBALL!
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 06:43:03 am »
I think baseball is about my 20th or 30th favorite sport, behind hurling, football, hockey, and lacrosse.  Before you get to baseball there are some placeholder spots for random Olympic sports like biathlon.  I don't mind going to a baseball game, but that's different.  Watching on TV is too boring.

I used to like going to games, especially when I lived 90 mins from Camden Yards. I still go to our minor league games sometimes, but they do have a great fireworks show.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 07:59:51 am »
We have the Minor League Iowa Cubs (Chicago Triple A) here in Des Moines.  When the kids were smaller we'd sign them all up for the "Knothole Gang" club and use it as a cheap family outing.  You can't beat $9/kid for 6 games, a t-shirt, a bomb-pop and a small drink at each game.  and GA tickets only $6 (only $5 if you buy a book of ten).  It kinda made baseball fans out of all of them.  Seeing a game at the park is so much more interesting than watching one on TV.  They've seen enough games to make them be able to understand what's happening when listening on the radio too.

I grew up in town in NW noted for it's baseball teams so it's part of my childhood I could share.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 08:17:22 am »

You forgot competitive eating. Like Nathans 4th of july hotdog eating contest.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 08:25:26 am »

Weaz a big reason for liking baseball is that you don't have to stay glued to the tv to see everything. It's even better over the radio.

This.

Used to get the radio feeds at night from Philly, Boston, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, St Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland when I was growing up in NJ.  Loved the hometown announcers.

GO BIRDS!
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 10:19:39 am »

You forgot competitive eating. Like Nathans 4th of july hotdog eating contest.

The ironic thing about competitive eating...is that I'm the one who feels sick just watching it.  ::)
Ron Price

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 10:53:50 am »

Years ago I told my wife that if she ever caught me watching golf on TV she should wake me up and tell me I'm not old enough to do that. 
She's had to tell me more than once.  Does this mean I'm too old?

As an older fart, I seem to remember that the traditional opening day for baseball happened in Cincinnati on or about April 6, which is not only where I used to live, but it's my birthday.  Opening day gets earlier and farther away every year, which is odd for a sport that prides itself so much on tradition.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 11:33:37 am »

This.

Used to get the radio feeds at night from Philly, Boston, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, St Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland when I was growing up in NJ.  Loved the hometown announcers.

GO BIRDS!

+1... I love having the game on in the background while I'm doing something else... although I do find myself sitting down riveted at certain times during the game.  It's a relaxing way to enjoy a sporting event.  I don't need everything I do and/or watch to be fast-paced and riveting.  Sometimes a lazy day watching baseball is nice.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 11:46:30 am »
I enjoy watching my kids play baseball or football more than I like watching pro sports, that's for sure.
And nothing makes a kid smile more after a game than to hear a parent genuinely say, "I loved watching you play."  That's it--no feedback, no criticism.  Save it for practice on another day.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 12:51:56 pm »
I really enjoy baseball because every pitch sets up a different strategy.  Most people don't learn the game well enough to see what's happening at that level, and that's cool.  It's an easy game to watch on many levels.  Hell, going to watch a game at the park is a major social event.

I love listening to games on the radio while I do something else.  I love watching games on my iPad when I'm up camping on the side of Mauna Kea.  I love watching games on the big screen TV.  Modern camera and TV technology lets you see the threads on the ball on a pitch!  I really love going to a game at the park.  The sights, the sounds, the smells...  awesome!

I totally understand why MLB chose to play games in Tokyo.  There's a huge potential fan base there.  I wish they would bring a few games here to Hawaii.  LOTS of baseball fans here too.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 01:23:52 pm »
As an older fart, I seem to remember that the traditional opening day for baseball happened in Cincinnati on or about April 6, which is not only where I used to live, but it's my birthday.

Good day for a birthday, it's mine also
Joe

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 02:40:02 pm »
I just had to repost my last year's baseball thread posting:

Not feeling it with the team this year though...but we shall see. 

I also have a AA team (NH Fisher Cats - Toronto) one mile from my office, and we usually make a couple games in Portland, ME ( Seadogs - Red Sox AA team ).   Good times!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------