Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerators--any suggestions?  (Read 28201 times)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Kegerators--any suggestions?
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:54:55 am »
I'm in the market for a commercially made kegerator (preferably 2, even 3 taps) capable of fitting two 5-gallon cornys (or three cornys, if three taps). 
Anybody have experience with them and suggestions on where to find/buy the best brands. 
This kegerator is going inside the penthouse at the condo complex, and the garage is too far away (by elevator) to be practical, so it has to be located inside the penthouse, and it has to look "really nice." 
DIY keezers and front-mounted fridge conversions aren't going to be considered due to time and aesthetics.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Kegerators--any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:02:29 pm »
You don't want to build one?  I think it may be cheaper to build your own.  But I've often thought about what I'll do next when my current kegerator goes out.  Think I'd want to get a medium sized fridge off Craigslist and install taps in the door. 
Check out Beveragefactory for commercial kegerators if money isn't necessarily an issue.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:18:38 pm »
I understand the time factor, but I gotta say, on the aesthetics factor, I have seen some amazing keggerator builds from chest freezers on here. WIth the wood collar for mounting the taps and wood facing to make it pretty some of them look a heck of lot nicer, IMO, than the commercial ones.

other than that, I got nothing.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:45:57 pm »
A keezer will be nice (once day), but would still be relegated to the garage area.

What I'm looking for is a relatively compact, wheeled, kegerator with the ability to dispense 2 (or 3) corny kegs at a time.  Something with dimensions around 2 x 2 x 3 ft, let's say.

I'll check out beverage factory.  Open to any and all suggestions.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:10:36 pm »
There is always the beermeister http://beermeisters.com/homebrew-dispensers
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:21:38 pm »
The thing I worry about with building one with a chest freezer and a collar is, what if the floor of the freezer gets dirty and you want to clean it?  The collar would make it way hard to get down to the floor of the freezer to clean.  I rather like the idea of a fridge much more.  Especially for your garage? Get a used fridge off Craigslist, drill holes for taps and there you go.  Why does it need to be so portable?

Those Beermeisters are expensive!  There's a few that are under $600 on Beverage Factory.
Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 03:19:27 pm »
I have a Sanyo 4912 which is still available evidently, albeit under other names and manufacturer. A small fridge (no freezer compartment) holds two cornies and perhaps a third if you modify the door.

You can go through the door or top to place external taps or tower- though I still use cobra-taps.

If you don't mind spending a tad more look into a real keg-orator fridge- they should hold 3 cornies. A look at the insides will show the difference between the two types of fridges. Plus they are plumbed for the tower already. That's what I would do to do it all again.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 03:34:02 pm »
The thing I worry about with building one with a chest freezer and a collar is, what if the floor of the freezer gets dirty and you want to clean it?  The collar would make it way hard to get down to the floor of the freezer to clean.  I rather like the idea of a fridge much more.  Especially for your garage? Get a used fridge off Craigslist, drill holes for taps and there you go.  Why does it need to be so portable?

Those Beermeisters are expensive!  There's a few that are under $600 on Beverage Factory.
but do they include the kegs?

don't mind me. I'm just starting trouble  ::)
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 03:54:07 pm »
I built collered keezer for my storage room in the basement, but my brother went with a used Beverage-Air professional unit as his lives in his dining room for around $400.

Has wheels and fits 3 ball lock cornys and his 5 pound tank (albeit very, very, very snuggly).  He has a single tap tower (wants to eventually upgrade to 3) and uses cobra taps on the rest.  Only problem with the snugness and the cobras is more than once he opened his taps by closing the door on them.

g
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 05:05:57 pm »
I like the look of the beermeisters.  If I ever get a commercial kegerator it'll probably be one of those.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 06:39:52 pm »

I designed mine to sit on a seam of weather stripping. The weight of the 2"x8" collar and the 2"x10" facing on the three visible sides is more than enough weight to hold the collar steady even when opening and closing the lid. The face board "lip" keeps it from sliding. For light cleaning i just throw in a towel and wipe it around with a pair of tongs. If I need to really clean well I can lift the collar off and do the deed. No fuss, no muss.  Works and looks like a charm.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 07:06:46 am »

I designed mine to sit on a seam of weather stripping. The weight of the 2"x8" collar and the 2"x10" facing on the three visible sides is more than enough weight to hold the collar steady even when opening and closing the lid. The face board "lip" keeps it from sliding. For light cleaning i just throw in a towel and wipe it around with a pair of tongs. If I need to really clean well I can lift the collar off and do the deed. No fuss, no muss.  Works and looks like a charm.
Hmmm seems like more work than it's worth, but I guess you've found a good solution for you.

This one at Beverage Factory allows you to connect your co2 up on the outside of your fridge.  It's one I'd probably look into.  http://www.beveragefactory.com/refrigerators/beer/danbyssteel-2.shtml
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 07:38:36 am »
I have a Sanyo 4912 which is still available evidently, albeit under other names and manufacturer. A small fridge (no freezer compartment) holds two cornies and perhaps a third if you modify the door.

Anymore information on who the other names/manufacturers are?  I have a Sanyo 4912.  Would like to have another.

Craig's List if I can't find a new one.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 07:53:37 am »
Thanks for the link beersk--I'm leaning towards something like that.  Not cheap with all the upgrades, but... it does sure look good.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 08:06:52 am »

Anymore information on who the other names/manufacturers are?  I have a Sanyo 4912.  Would like to have another.

Craig's List if I can't find a new one.

I think it is Frigidaire and Danby that make or did make something extremely similar. I simply don't know now.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis