Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best hop for 100% pale malt  (Read 6045 times)

Offline ignaciog182

• 1st Kit
Best hop for 100% pale malt
« on: April 13, 2012, 02:40:34 am »
Hey guys!
Im going to make a batch using 100% pale malt, mb 2row american, and my idea was to use just one kind of hop, for bitternes, aroma and flavour. I will use belgian yeast (to try that mix).
 wich hop will u use?
Thanks!

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Re: Best hop for 100% pale malt
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 02:58:44 am »
This one could go on for a bit as it is open ended.

Me? Right now I am a fan of Amarillo or citra for something like that. You will get many opinions.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 07:09:35 am »
I was reading descriptions of New Zealand hop varieties last night and there may be one that will work nicely. With a Belgian yeast already giving you spice/clove phenolics then perhaps something with a lemon/lime aroma like http://www.nzhops.co.nz/varieties/motueka.html?
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline ignaciog182

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:39:57 am »
Amarillo is not abiable in this moment at the place i usually buy.
Nice one the B saaz, ill consider it.
I was thinking of cascade, what do you think? Mb adding some extra malt than the usual por a pale ale, and also of hop, around 100 IBU

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 08:53:03 am »
the best hop is the one YOU enjoy the most.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 08:59:54 am »
Simcoe. 8)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 09:19:47 am »
the best hop is the one YOU enjoy the most.

+1

For my tastes Nelson Sauvin is fantastic!  Can't go wrong with Simcoe, Citra, Galaxy, Columbus, Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Sterling, or Chinook either.  It all depends on how you use the hop.  A little bit for bittering.  A lot late for flavor and aroma, and dry hop depending on your preferences.

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 10:07:56 am »
Simcoe. 8)

+1 Simcoe. It has made a really nice IPA this past week.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 10:14:29 am »
I'd say it depends on what Belgian yeast you plan to use.  For a fruity yeast, maybe a more subdued hop.  For a more phenolic yeast, a more intense hop.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 10:21:42 am »
Depends on what you're going for. If you're looking for a Belgian Pale, then noble style hops like Tettnang, Saaz, Hallertauer, Mt Hood, etc would all work fine. For a "Belgian IPA" style, then Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo would be nice.

If I had to pick just one hop alone, I'd go with Amarillo just because I find it has the citrus notes I like but with a bit more complexity than something like Cascade.

In general, I prefer to use at least 2 different types of hops for a bit more complexity. So if I were using pale malt plus a Belgian yeast, then I'd probably do a Belgian IPA with Chinook at 60, 15 minutes and maybe dry hopped and Cascade at 15, 5 and 0 minutes plus dry hopped. Of course, I love hops so if you ask me again in 10 minutes I might decide on CTZ/Willamette or Simcoe/Citra or Liberty/Centennial or Tettnang/Saaz...  ;D
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 10:24:10 am »
In general, I prefer to use at least 2 different types of hops for a bit more complexity.

I agree with you.  While SMASH beers are a great way to learn the flavor if ingredients, I have yet to taste one that I really liked as a beer instead of an experiment.  They just seem one dimensional and boring to me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 01:27:27 pm »

German Tett and Sterling - WY3522.  Some pils subsituted for the 2row will add some malt depth.
Just sayin ;)

Offline jakeamo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 02:34:03 pm »
What yeast strain? 1st choice would be a fuggle, styrian or tett. 2nd would be a goldings, EKG or challenger 3rd would be a noble Hallertau variety or american version like crystal, mt hood or vanguard. Saaz works with belgians also. I have only had 1 belgian ipa i could stomach, it was amarillo, i am just over sensitive to phenols and lots of hops. I keep my belgians below or around 30ibus. I have tried a few experiments with hoppy belgians and even a hoppy hefe (a gumballhead clone w/3068) yuck it was gross but the 5 gals with 1056 were great! Some strains are less phenolic and would be better suited for a belgian IPA. Since its just pale malt, the yeast strain and ferment temp you use are the most important thing here. I would add a pound of caravienna malt, and if you only want to use 1 hop, i would use a fuggle variety. Let us know how it turns out!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:41:30 pm by jakeamo »

Offline ignaciog182

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 06:53:05 pm »
Thanks a lot guys! I will make my order on monday and the beer the next weekend, ill tell you what i make at the end. And how it goes.

Offline hooter

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 07:46:26 pm »
I love Citra for single hop beers.  It's got a very complex citrusy, tropical, fruity profile that works well all on it's own.  Of course, it really depends on personal preference as there is such a wide spectrum of hops you could use.  Also, I personally like clean fermenting yeast strains (as apposed to complex Belgian strains) for SMaSH brews to let the characteristics of the malt and hops really shine, but that's just a personal opinion.