Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: tipping?  (Read 17004 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: tipping?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 08:48:33 pm »

Then pay them enough so they don't have to rely on tips.

Thats a Big Plus One There!!  Tips shouldn't be in the equation when it comes to payscale!!  If an Employer "can't" afford to pay their employees a decent wage... then they need to close their doors instead of relying on the public to pick up the businesses shortcomings.  We aren't talking about medevial times here.... or Are We?

a10t2... either my daughters bulls***ted me or they have been getting screwed again by their employer, trust me I Will Find Out.  Now I'm Pissed after reading the link you gave us!   >:(

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 08:54:37 pm »

Do you go to a restaurant for the service? No, you go for the food.

Service is an important part of the dining experience.  Yes, the food is the most important part but the quality of the service can make or break the experience.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 09:03:36 pm »
Service is an important part of the dining experience.  Yes, the food is the most important part but the quality of the service can make or break the experience.

That still has jack squat to do with what a person makes for a wage.  If that were the case employers would pay based on how well a person actually does their job rather than how well they get along with management.  If you're working in any field with me, I don't give two s***s about how well you can kiss my ass.... you better put out or your ass is gone and somebody else will take your place.  Too much bulls*** politics in the workplace today... thats what has screwed it all up.  jmo.... I agree with Brewboy on this subject... too much "politics" is "accepted in the workplace".
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:07:50 pm by dean »

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 09:06:30 pm »
If I was a pizza shop owner and the driver pissed everybody off but did a damn good job... I wouldn't give two s***s about replacing that person, I'd keep them, and I'd "pay them what they were WORTH."  Lumping everybody into a catagory is pure bulls*** "politics".... and America has swallowed it whole.  jmo...

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 09:13:47 pm »
Point in case... CEO's making hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars pay.... and most don't actually DO anything except "delegate"?  Screw that, I know how I'd cut my bottom line.... out goes the CEO and I'd hire some more people that actually Worked to turn me a dollar!!   

Holy smokes have people's brains fallen out being so open minded?! 

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 09:21:24 pm »
So we should eliminate incentive pay in all forms entirely?  You should show up for the job you were hired for, and no matter how well or how poorly you do it you should be paid the agreed upon wage?

Edit - And in the interests of "This is a home brewing forum" I'll bow out of this discussion.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:25:17 pm by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 10:04:55 pm »

Do you go to a restaurant for the service? No, you go for the food.

Service is an important part of the dining experience.  Yes, the food is the most important part but the quality of the service can make or break the experience.

It's a package you're buying. That's why you pay 400% markup on beer, 600% markup on wine, and 1000% markup on steaks. The food should be right, served quickly, with a smile, and everything in the place should be clean. It's not that much to ask. Tips for the pizza guy are a buck plus the silver - (and the delivery charge). Waitstaff usually get the 15 to 20 range but have been as low as pennies(canceled order and walked out they sucked so bad) and as high as 100% (drinks and apps).

Who have you seen get tips and wonder WTF - why are they getting tipped? Like the maids in the hotels kinda bugs me...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:06:31 pm by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 10:13:01 pm »
Coming from a country where tipping is not as customary (we may round up to the next Euro or a bit more when in a restaurant) I had to get used to the tipping culture in the US. I still don't like going to full service gas stations b/c I generally don't have cash on me and b/c I don't know if I'm supposed to tip or if it is included in the higher price for gas.

Kai

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 11:27:10 pm »
Coming from a country where tipping is not as customary...

While visiting my parents in Germany, they had to be schooled in the reverse. Because they were used to leaving a tip, and they tip 15-25% depending on service, there were times where it did have the intended effect. Where they were quickly recognized at the restaurant and served really well in subsequent visits. TIP...To Insure Promptness.

As far as the Fed and State min...I happened to see one of the federal posters stating what you should be making an hour. It showed that the federal minimum wage for tipped employees was over 4...but I did not read the whole poster. Just noticed the ammount...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 05:41:46 am »

Tonight, we ordered pizza from pizza-hut.

Hmmmmm .... I think here is your real problem.  ;)

For you folks who don't tip you waiter/delivery person .... here's a tip for you: Think twice before ordering from them again - remember, they bring you your food, and you better believe they remember you. They have "handled it first". As an ex-restaurant worker, I can attest I have seen things done to people's food that you would not want done to your food. Trust me on that!  If you think I'm exaggerating, think again. If you think it won't happen to you ... well ... what you don't know won't hurt you .... usually.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:52:24 am by majorvices »

Offline wzl46

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 06:54:38 am »

Good service should be expected as it is in any other non-tipping business. It shouldn't be any different in the food industry. I personally wish they'd up the prices and eliminate tipping all together. 

Eliminate tipping, and eliminate the wait staff's motivation to provide you with timely service.  My wife and I tip well, and when we go to our favorite restaurants, our regular waitresses have full beers on the table before we even have to order them most of the time, and our food orders are prompt and out of the kitchen, even on extremely busy nights.  We are very friendly with our servers, but it definitely isn't our personalities that gets us consistently great service.
Yeast infections are only bad when they don't happen to wort.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 08:05:59 am »
This thing is still going?   :D  Okay I think everybody is still missing something, if employers actually paid their employees a decent wage tipping would never have existed in todays world.  To Insure Promptness... that "was" what a tip was for.  Today tipping is are part of an employees pre-calculated wage... see the difference?   Nobody is saying people don't deserve, but employers "count on" our generosity towards their employees and Now the employers are taking up to half the tip for themselves!  Its the mentality of it and people just follow along, why not just keep a jar of vaseline handy, drop your shorts and bend over as soon as you walk into any business from now on...

Putting something in someone's food?  Mightn't that be considered a form of terrorism?   I think it would show how impaired and disgusting a person actually is if not criminal doing something to food, I suppose a person found doing that might even have put their own life in danger, depending on who they did it to?   Its terrible that people even think it happens so it too must be acceptable in todays society also?

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 08:17:16 am »
Putting something in someone's food?  Mightn't that be considered a form of terrorism?

You should turn off the TV for a little while, the media has warped your brain  ;)
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 08:33:26 am »
Quality service = a nice tip
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 09:01:47 am »

Good service should be expected as it is in any other non-tipping business. It shouldn't be any different in the food industry. I personally wish they'd up the prices and eliminate tipping all together. 

Eliminate tipping, and eliminate the wait staff's motivation to provide you with timely service.  My wife and I tip well, and when we go to our favorite restaurants, our regular waitresses have full beers on the table before we even have to order them most of the time, and our food orders are prompt and out of the kitchen, even on extremely busy nights.  We are very friendly with our servers, but it definitely isn't our personalities that gets us consistently great service.

Definitely true. I like tipping my wait staff. I'm not so much into tipping the hotel staff or the valet - I do anyway, but I'm always confused how to handle it - especially the valet.