Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FauxPils Faceoff  (Read 28019 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
FauxPils Faceoff
« on: April 29, 2012, 03:56:51 pm »
Goal: To determine whether triple-decoction or no-sparge single infusion provides better results in a pale, delicate, malt-centric beer for an average homebrewer.

Who I need: Eight people to drink beer and provide feedback. I'm looking for a mix of certified judges and non-judges who have a good palate.

What you'll get: Three beers each, one of which may or may not be a duplicate of either beer, to be randomly determined.

After tasting: Provide feedback following a standard BJCP-style scoring form format for each beer.

What I ask for: I will keep all feedback anonymous (unless you want credit), but I will upload the results on my crappy blog I never update. It would also be cool if you wanted to fill the bottles back up with some of your own homebrew and mail them back.

I want to keep the recipe details a secret until after the tastings, after which I'll make my detailed brewing notes public. I plan on brewing the beers back-to-back sometime late next month, or early in the following. 

Please leave any comments, concerns, or heckles below. Thank you.

Judges:
1. Denny
2. Ron
3. Tom
4. Jeffy

Non-judges:
1. Don (I know you brew a lot of lagers)
2. Jason
3. Red
4. Garc
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:02:59 pm by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: FauxPils Faceoff
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 04:40:50 pm »
Cool.  I'd be happy to participate, but I don't know that my palate is all that great (nor am I a certified judge). 

Looking forward to seeing the results though...

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

rabeb25

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 06:20:09 pm »
I'm in, great palate and a BIG lager brewer.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:31:14 pm »
I'd like to take a look at your blog.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 07:11:45 pm »
I could do that.  Can I play?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 08:01:41 pm »
I would be happy to help.  :)
Ron Price

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:09:17 pm »
nateo

dibbs

i would love to participate.  not a judge but i can do this.  would love to be more involved in this kind of thing.

don
Don AHA member

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 08:46:07 pm »
I would be happy to help.

BJCP National judge, sometime lager brewer.  Big beer lover.

Anyone have a copy from this?  http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue6.4/index.html
Brew on

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 10:01:03 pm »
I would like to be considered for this.

Not a judge yet, but I am working through the material so I can judge, and I use decoction on occasion.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:49:42 pm »
I would be happy to help.

BJCP National judge, sometime lager brewer.  Big beer lover.

Anyone have a copy from this?  http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue6.4/index.html

I have that issue, what do you need?
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:18:37 am »
Id be happy to participate also. Having done Hefeweizen's and BoPils decocted and nondecocted Ive always been interested in tasting them side by side.  Also would be happy to send some brews back to ya!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 08:40:41 am »
Wow, lots of people interested. I'd like to get 4 judges and 4 non-judges if I can. I don't know you non-judges that well, but I'll try to be as fair as possible in deciding the four non-judge participants. Shipping three beers to eight people is kind of expensive, so I'd like the most experienced people I can get. Feel free to send me a PM with your brewing experience, favorite styles, etc., and anything else you think might be relevant to my decisions.

Here it is: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

I have a hard time coming up with quality content, so I don't update it often. I think there are too many blogs out there just trying to just fill up space, so I try not to post unless it's something I might actually care about reading.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:55:19 am by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 08:45:44 am »
Wow, lots of people interested. I'd like to get 4 judges and 4 non-judges if I can. I don't know you non-judges that well, but I'll try to be as fair as possible in deciding the four non-judge participants. Shipping three beers to eight people is kind of expensive, so I'd like the most experienced people I can get. Feel free to send me a PM with your brewing experience, favorite styles, etc., and anything else you think might be relevant to my decisions.

Judges:
1. Denny (if still interested)
2. Ron
3. Tom

Non-judges:

I have a hard time coming up with quality content, so I don't update it often. I think there are too many blogs out there just trying to just fill up space, so I try not to post unless it's something I might actually care about reading.

Non Judge here. Brewed a lot of batches and have done versions of BoPils, Hefeweizen, Schwarzbier, Dunkel, Dopplebock, Maibock, and Dortmunder decocted and non decocted so i do I have experience tasting both ways, just never side by side.

I would also be happy to send back a version of my BoPils with a new decoction process I tried as well as a non decocted Oktoberfest and another brew.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 09:13:46 am »
I'm in.  Sounds like a great idea.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 10:44:56 am »

Judges:
1. Denny (if still interested)
2. Ron
3. Tom

Non-judges:

I'm have a Master judge ranking and I would like to help.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995