Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: GIve Up on ProMash??  (Read 21781 times)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Re: GIve Up on ProMash??
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 10:17:34 am »
I don't want to sound like my dad (his hatred of power windows on cars is legendary), but more features and gadgets often means you have less control.  ProMash does the calculations I need without doing stuff that I don't need (and often don't trust).  I hate seeing things like FG calculations that people trust blindly just because the software said so.  It's a tool, no more, no less.

Hear, hear!  I don't know how many people have told me that they do multiple batch sparges because Beersmith tells them to.  It's a tool, it's NOT brewing instructions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Without understanding how something works, anything bigger, better and faster will just help you fail quicker.
Tools are actually dangerous in the hands of people who don't know how to use them.  ~Lefty
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 12:26:04 pm »
Beersmith is without a doubt my favorite piece of brewing equipment and has paid the highest return on investment.

With Beersmith and Bru'n Water I CAN CONQUER THE WORLD!!!!!!!! aaaargh

Here, Here!  as some one who is mathematically impaired and has somehow gone my entire academic carreer without taking a Chemistry class, I need the tools.  I've resisted upgrading to BeerSmith 2.0 mainly just because I am cheap.  I used to hack my way through water adjustments (with hack results!) but have recently started using Bru'n Water (which rocks, Martin!).  I am glad there are smart people in the world to figure this crap out for me  :P

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Give Up on ProMash??
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 08:49:00 am »
I don't want to sound like my dad (his hatred of power windows on cars is legendary), but more features and gadgets often means you have less control.  ProMash does the calculations I need without doing stuff that I don't need (and often don't trust).  I hate seeing things like FG calculations that people trust blindly just because the software said so.  It's a tool, no more, no less.

I've downloaded/trialed other brewing programs (and even made my own spreadsheets) to test the accuracy of some of the calculations. I'm like you - I don't trust the machine unless I can see the moving parts.

I'm probably going to stick with ProMash until (like any other tool in my brewery) I feel its hampering my progress/success as a brewer.

I'll put the $30 towards something else for the brewery...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 09:56:27 pm »
So is there a problem with windows 7 and promash? I need a new computer and if I'm going to have to have trouble, I will op for something different.

Offline Wesbrau

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 11:19:15 pm »
I'm running Promash on Windows 7.  No trouble yet.
Wes

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 10:11:30 am »
I've been running Promash on Win 7 for over a year and a half.  No problems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 10:32:06 am »
Me too.

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 10:50:02 am »
What kind of update does Promash need?  It does everything I need it to do seamlessly.

It would be nice if it was Mac OS compatible for those of us that would like to use it without running an emulator.

narvin

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 11:05:10 am »
What kind of update does Promash need?  It does everything I need it to do seamlessly.

It would be nice if it was Mac OS compatible for those of us that would like to use it without running an emulator.

Wine Is Not an Emulator. 

(Seriously, that's what WINE stands for.  Unix humor, I know.)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 11:33:00 am »

Not to nitpick, and I know that not everything is perfect. But promash could be updated with the most current hop varieties.  I know the alpha acids could be entered manually, but the program would be a luxury to have if the newer hop varieties were already in the program.

I know this may be complicated but I would some how like to see an app. or tool for inserting hop beta acids as a way to give more recipe description to those hoppier beers. Just something that could give more detail to a beers formulation. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline madrivervt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 07:02:56 am »
I’m very frustrated with Promash.  Running on Windows 2010.  I cannot figure out how to update the “Actual FG” on a brewing session. Everything is trial and error.  The help function does not work.  (the "fix" is non-existent) I have gotten no response from my inquiry to tech support.  I'm feeling like I wasted money I could have spent on equipment. 

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 07:23:16 am »
i had been doing calcs myself until january. i had tried multiple trials of different software.  i settled on ibrewmaster for my iphone. i like it because it allows me to play with recipes on the fly.  i can also share when i run in to other brewers. it does most of what i would want and more.  i still idiot check the numbers.
Don AHA member

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 07:59:33 am »
I cannot figure out how to update the “Actual FG” on a brewing session. 

In your brewing session, open the "fermentation" tab. Enter your measured final gravity there, and it will show up as "actual FG" in your session window.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 01:28:46 pm »
I refuse to get a thermometer because the rule of thumb hasn't let me down yet.  ;)

/I kid. I kid.  Came late to the software party a few years back.  Picked Beersmith.  Love it even though the 2.0 layout took some getting used to.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 01:37:51 pm »
i had been doing calcs myself until january. i had tried multiple trials of different software.  i settled on ibrewmaster for my iphone. i like it because it allows me to play with recipes on the fly.  i can also share when i run in to other brewers. it does most of what i would want and more.  i still idiot check the numbers.

I really like iBrewmaster as well.  I started with ProMash years ago but iBrewmaster does everything I need plus I can have it running during my brew day on my iPad.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee