Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: GIve Up on ProMash??  (Read 21782 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
GIve Up on ProMash??
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:32:01 am »
I've used ProMash ever since I started AG brewing, but there is NO support and NO updates.

I did a trial of BeerSmith. It was nice, but I'm comfortable with ProMash, AND all my recipes are in ProMash format.

What's a guy to do?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: GIve Up on ProMash??
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:05:28 am »
Promash does what I need.

There is plenty of talk on the Interwebs that an update is on the way. I think there is a discussion on the Promash web site.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline anday6

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:59 am »
I haven't done it myself, but you can import most recipe file types into BeerSmith.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
GIve Up on ProMash??
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:24:48 am »
What kind of update does Promash need?  It does everything I need it to do seamlessly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:30:07 am »
I finally gave up when BeerSmith 2.0 came out.  Probably won't go back unless a new version really knocks my socks off and offers more than BeerSmith.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:03:25 am »
Not sure how up to date this is:
http://www.beerxml.com/converter.htm

Beersmith will import beerxml files.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 11:08:12 am »
Still haven't had a situation that I've needed support or an update with Promash.  It does what I need it to do. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 12:15:16 pm »
I have a few complaints:

- The Help application doesn't work on newer Windows OS. My main concern is that the ProMash application itself won't be able to run on a future OS. I'm not a big software guy, so I don't know if this is plausible.

- The ingredient and guidelines databases are outdated - I know I can update them by hand, but that's a lot of data entry, especially since it will regularly need updating.

The color swatch is not very accurate. Again, this may be from running on an old OS.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 01:21:32 pm »
Ah...I see your point.  I run Promash on XP and Vista with no problems, including the Help component.  I assume you must be referring to Win7?  There could be a problem, but I haven' used 7 yet.  I know with some of my old engineering programs, there is a Compatability tab available if I right-click the program icon on the desktop.  I don't see that with my Promash icon.

There is at least one set of updated databases for grain and hops floating around on the web.  I don't know where to point you for them.  I don't know if someone has posted an updated style database.  But it would only take minutes to update the existing database since there are not that many changes or new styles.

The color swatch is a joke.  There are far too many variables involved in going from the estimated SRM value to the color you see on your screen.  Screens and adapters vary.
You may be better off in most cases with taking the calculated SRM value and seeing what that color is using the BJCP color swatches. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:31:13 pm »
You can d/l a \help file compatibility program.  Took me about 3 min. to d/l and install.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:47 pm »
I have used ProMash for many years and thought it was the greatest software for homebrewers... and for many years it was the absolute best.  Last year I decided to try BeerSmith after my brew buddies kept telling me how much they liked it.  Now as they say its hard to teach an old dog new tricks - I was very comfortable with ProMash and resistent to try, let alone change brewing software.  However, after struggling thru the learning curve of BeerSmith, I find it to be very, very good.  I still have both softwares on my computers and I find I have switched entirely over to BeerSmith. ProMash was the Volkswagen of beer software, very easy to use with instant good results. Still nothing wrong with it, works very well.  BeerSmith is more like the Cadillac, its got all the cool tools and cool gadgets. It helps to be at least 3/4 nerd or a rocket scientist to utilize all its capabilities. 
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:53:40 pm »
As a forever Mac user, I remember going into a blue funk panic when Darryl Richmann stopped supporting the Brewer's Planner. Wow, what a long way we've come. Armchair brewing has never been more fun, nor brew day more organized and predictable. Beersmith is simply the Bees knees. Every update has been loaded with lots of useful new features and Brad Smith is simply one of the two most responsive software authors ever.

Beersmith is without a doubt my favorite piece of brewing equipment and has paid the highest return on investment.

With Beersmith and Bru'n Water I CAN CONQUER THE WORLD!!!!!!!! aaaargh
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 08:25:22 pm »
What kind of update does Promash need?  It does everything I need it to do seamlessly.

I agree; although current ingredients libraries would be well received. This comes from a guy who not only does not have an IPad/Phone; my phone doesn't even  have a keyboard. Ha ha ha
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

narvin

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 08:01:39 am »
I don't want to sound like my dad (his hatred of power windows on cars is legendary), but more features and gadgets often means you have less control.  ProMash does the calculations I need without doing stuff that I don't need (and often don't trust).  I hate seeing things like FG calculations that people trust blindly just because the software said so.  It's a tool, no more, no less.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:03:14 am by narvin »

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
GIve Up on ProMash??
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 08:44:40 am »
I don't want to sound like my dad (his hatred of power windows on cars is legendary), but more features and gadgets often means you have less control.  ProMash does the calculations I need without doing stuff that I don't need (and often don't trust).  I hate seeing things like FG calculations that people trust blindly just because the software said so.  It's a tool, no more, no less.

Hear, hear!  I don't know how many people have told me that they do multiple batch sparges because Beersmith tells them to.  It's a tool, it's NOT brewing instructions!

www.dennybrew.com