Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: which puree for a *fruit* pale ale on brett?  (Read 20200 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
which puree for a *fruit* pale ale on brett?
« on: June 10, 2012, 09:47:25 am »
greets all!

i am brewing a *fruit* pale ale on brett.  i was originally going to go with peach, but i'm not sure it would come through.  i was then thinking apricot and after that thought about raspberry, and now i'm just conflicted.  hahaha.

it's going to be an extract brew with citra, amarillo, and simcoe for the hops.  i was going to primary with us-05 and then add the puree and the brett brux in secondary.  i'm not sure if this would be considered "proper" procedure and i'm not sure how much puree to use.

which fruit puree  and how much would you use?  when would you add it?

thanks in advance.

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: which puree for a *fruit* pale ale on brett?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:56:04 am »
I can't really comment on procedure or quantity, but if it were me I'd use the apricot and then dry-hop with Citra and Amarillo in the keg or a week before bottling.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:39:43 am »
Brett b with a blend of sweet and sour cherries is another option to consider. I did this few years back and the Brett "cherry pie" character matched up well with the cherries.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:48:30 am »
Have you considered a 100% Brett beer.  There's a really good article in the recent Zymurgy about 100% Brett beers.  Works really well with fruit. 
Ron Price

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:59:18 am »
Mango with those hops and Brett Brux.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:00:10 am »
i saw that article last night ron, but i forgot to bring it to work.   that's fully a possiblity.

AHA# 196703

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:49:02 am »
yeah, those hops would not go with cherry. Mango and or apricot would. I'd dump the hops and go for brett character. Hops and fruit and brett .... just too much going on IMO.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:14:05 am »
yeah, those hops would not go with cherry. Mango and or apricot would. I'd dump the hops and go for brett character. Hops and fruit and brett .... just too much going on IMO.

which hops would you dump? 

AHA# 196703

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:25:59 am »
I would dump the simcoe.  Keep the IBUs low like 20-25 with a neutral bittering hop like magnum or warrior and use the Amarillo and Citra at 10 and/or flamout.  Maybe 0.5oz of each at each charge/hop addition?  No dry hop.  Ferment with a neutral yeast and then add your Brett and fruit (mango or apricot) in the secondary.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:06:15 am by hoser »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 09:53:12 am »

which hops would you dump?

I would dump going with any type of pronounced hop character. Personally, I think the cattiness of simcoe would go well if it was light and complemented rather than dominated the beer, but I would consider that in a darker beer and with cherries. OTOH mango and apricot would go with the citra for sure. Amarillo too, maybe. for my tastes this is going to be a challenging balancing game. Just be sure the hops are not dominant for your first round, you can go back and bump the hops up on your next try. That's my .02.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 02:01:16 am »
I would not necessarily use Brett b - it depends on if you are talking about White Labs or Wyeast.

From Wyeast I would recommend Brett lambicus, that will give you the cherry pie character that majorvices mentioned.

From White Labs then sure, Brett b (bruxellensis), should be a good choice.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 06:03:34 am »
I would not necessarily use Brett b - it depends on if you are talking about White Labs or Wyeast.

From Wyeast I would recommend Brett lambicus, that will give you the cherry pie character that majorvices mentioned.

i already ordered the brett b, but it is from white labs, so that's cool.

since i'm headed out of town and will be brewing when i get back, i went ahead and ordered the apricot puree.

i grabbed the copy of zymurgy with the brett beers article in it and i'm going to digest that today.

right now, i'm leaning 100% brett.

AHA# 196703

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 06:53:50 am »

Now, admittedly, I have only tried Brett b from WL, but I can't understand for he life of me why WY would be so much different. I've always heard that Bruxellensis is the cherry pie Brett.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 08:05:52 am »

Now, admittedly, I have only tried Brett b from WL, but I can't understand for he life of me why WY would be so much different. I've always heard that Bruxellensis is the cherry pie Brett.

Ive always heard Brett L is the cherry pie flavor where Brett B is the horse blanket barnyard smell.  I recently used Brett B from Wyeast in an Orval clone I did which is about 1 month into sitting on the Brett. I definitely smell the horse blanket coming out of there. Also just racked a 13 month old lambic over 9 lbs of cherries about 6 weeks ago, and I could smell the Cherry pie. That was done with Wyeast Lambic blend, which I understand is Brett B and Brett L.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 08:48:35 am »
Orval is one of my favorite beers. Period. I totally get cherry pie from Orval. Do get the horse blanket, too. But the cherry pie is my overall impression.