Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: screw the thermapen, Here's my fathers day present!  (Read 20991 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: screw the thermapen, Here's my fathers day present!
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2012, 10:39:45 am »
A car that's paid for vs $25,000.00 in debt?  Really?   :o

I did say that he should do it for fun. the numbers don't work out unless you assume huge repair costs to the rabbit in the next 3-6 years which with only 40k is unlikely.

Performance wise the olg TDI is a rocketship. I can squeal the tires in second and just a bit in third going around corners. not that I do that very often. I'm the guy tooting along at 55 in the right lane by the way. but my mpg is higher than my mph
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2012, 12:29:01 pm »
As far as I know one cannot get Bluemotion VW's in the US. Not sure if they do exist Prius-wise but a diesel-hybrid car makes total sense- so no wonder one hasn't been offered in the States! This is how trains have been powered for decades. Off the top of my head they get the car equivalent of a 1000 mpg- not literally but in terms if a car was as efficient as a diesel-electric train.

Diesel electric train engines have their own diesel fired generators that generate electricity which is supply to the electric motor powered drive wheels of the train engine.

Hybrid cars' electric motors are powered by batteries.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2012, 12:39:36 pm »
As far as I know one cannot get Bluemotion VW's in the US. Not sure if they do exist Prius-wise but a diesel-hybrid car makes total sense- so no wonder one hasn't been offered in the States! This is how trains have been powered for decades. Off the top of my head they get the car equivalent of a 1000 mpg- not literally but in terms if a car was as efficient as a diesel-electric train.

Diesel electric train engines have their own diesel fired generators that generate electricity which is supply to the electric motor powered drive wheels of the train engine.

This is true but the Chevy Volt's engine directly powers the electric motor when the battery's range has been exceeded. http://gm-volt.com/chevy-volt-faqs/ I was wrong about this not being available in the US.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 12:41:04 pm »

This is true but the Chevy Volt's engine directly powers the electric motor when the battery's range has been exceeded. http://gm-volt.com/chevy-volt-faqs/ I was wrong about this not being available in the US.

although that's not diesel. I think both BMW and Mercedes have a hybrid diesel but probably only in europe
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 12:41:41 pm »
a submarine can use a diesel or a battery when the nuke shuts down.  (the diesel powers the electric motor)
i have not found one in a car yet but i be a hoping 8)
Don AHA member

Offline punatic

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 01:10:03 pm »
Diesel Boats Forever!   8)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 01:13:07 pm »
The diesel hybrid cars do exist- just outside the States. I'm not sure why we can't/don't have them here but suspect it's politically influenced. :-[

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 01:22:27 pm »
The diesel hybrid cars do exist- just outside the States. I'm not sure why we can't/don't have them here but suspect it's politically influenced. :-[

Uh huh...  A diesel "Truther"!   ;D

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2012, 01:33:55 pm »

It is politically influenced.  Diesel in the US is more expensive than gas due to higher taxes on diesel.  In Europe, IIRC, diesel is cheaper than gas.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2012, 02:15:08 pm »

It is politically influenced.  Diesel in the US is more expensive than gas due to higher taxes on diesel.  In Europe, IIRC, diesel is cheaper than gas.

ahh but only in a per gallon sense. in a per mile sense diesel is cheaper.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2012, 02:24:57 pm »

ahh but only in a per gallon sense. in a per mile sense diesel is cheaper.

Diesel in the US is more per gallon due to tax structure vs Europe where it is discounted to encourage less oil imports. The price point for fuel in the USA combined with the higher purchase price of the Diesel engine option makes it a very long payback, if at all.

One other reason for fewer Diesels in cars in the USA is the differing emissions standards.

Locomotives - GE was working on one with batteries that would store the energy from dynamic braking, just like a hybrid. Lot of batteries, IIRC the next unit on the power end was all batteries. Don't know if it made production.

Yes, the Volt's gas engine does spin a generator which powers the traction motor.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline punatic

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2012, 03:57:25 am »
AFAIK there is only one diesel hybrid engine currently on the market, used by Citroen and Peugeot for their DS5 Hybrid4 and 5008 Hybrid4, respectively. The batteries and cars are pretty heavy so you don't get too much of a mileage savings, 34mpg mixed. French motor companies haven't been competitive for a while now, so no surprises there. The review: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/05/review-citroen-ds5-hybrid-4/

Volkswagen has a "Cross Coupe" that will supposedly get 157 MPG, but if that thing actually gets to market in the next two-three years, I will eat my hat.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2012, 11:15:43 am »

I think jaguar was working on a gas turbine electric generator for electric motor driven car but don't know how that is going
Don AHA member