Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First timer here  (Read 4932 times)

Offline j.petykowski

• 1st Kit
    • Aspiring Homebrewer tumblr.
First timer here
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:09:29 am »
I brewed my first from a kit, Brewers Best, and it's the English Brown Ale. Followed all directions and it is sitting in a glass carboy in my basement as I type. Although all the krauesen is gone, it looked very healthy for the first 48 and now it is all gone. Just wondering if that's okay, I'm about 60 hours into it, and also wondering would 72 hours be a good time to transfer into secondary? Thanks everybody, as I said I am new and just thought I'd ask.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: First timer here
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:12:33 am »
The Krausen settles back in to the beer after a few days.  You are fine.  I would just leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks, then rack and bottle. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline j.petykowski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:20:19 am »
The Krausen settles back in to the beer after a few days.  You are fine.  I would just leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks, then rack and bottle. 

Dave

Dave,
Thank you, I'm super pumped about my first homebrew.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 08:30:46 am »
Good luck and welcome to the addiction!
Dave Zach

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 08:31:23 am »
What temp did you ferment at?  My first brew I didn't pay too much attention to the temp and it got up to 80 degrees and fermented really fast.  Result was non too pleasant but a very good learning experience.  As long as your temps are good, I wouldn't worry too much about how fast your krausen rises and falls.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline j.petykowski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 08:40:42 am »
What temp did you ferment at?  My first brew I didn't pay too much attention to the temp and it got up to 80 degrees and fermented really fast.  Result was non too pleasant but a very good learning experience.  As long as your temps are good, I wouldn't worry too much about how fast your krausen rises and falls.

Well I would have to say it never got above 75 degrees, I have been checking every chance I can on it.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 08:48:50 am »

Well I would have to say it never got above 75 degrees, I have been checking every chance I can on it.

When you say 75 degrees, is that the reading on the thermometer strip (assuming this is what you are using)?
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline j.petykowski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 08:56:26 am »

When you say 75 degrees, is that the reading on the thermometer strip (assuming this is what you are using)?

Yes, I moved it to a cooler spot in the basement just to be certain, I will see if it cools it anymore.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 09:19:08 am »
Yes, I moved it to a cooler spot in the basement just to be certain, I will see if it cools it anymore.

I usually try to ferment in the low-mid 60's w/ most of my ales.  If you are using a temp. strip on the outside of your fermenter, then that's more than likely going give you more of an ambient temp reading rather than the actual temp of your wort/beer inside.  If your temp strip reads 75, then the wort/beer on the inside is closer to 80.  The beginning of fermentation is most important to keep your temps in check.

I was in your shoes last October as I began my homebrewing adventures and with the advice and help from others on this board, you'll be brewing some of the best beer you've ever tasted.  So never hesitate to ask any questions on this board.
Jeremy Baker

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 09:20:33 am »

F or future reference, try to keep it around 65F.  You'll end up with better beer that way.  Using a secondary is kind of an outdated idea any more.  It's seldom really necessary.  As was said above, if you just leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks you'll be fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 09:30:09 am »
+1 for skipping the secondary fermenter.  My first brew was the first time I transferred to a secondary fermenter and the last.  Not saying transferring to a secondary is never necessary, but for most brews you can get by without the need to do so.  I even dry hop in the primary fermenter.
Jeremy Baker

Offline j.petykowski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 09:32:20 am »

F or future reference, try to keep it around 65F.  You'll end up with better beer that way.  Using a secondary is kind of an outdated idea any more.  It's seldom really necessary.  As was said above, if you just leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks you'll be fine.

Denny,
Thanks for the advice, I will give that a try for next time.

Baker,
Thanks also for your help, and I am excited for the coming months. I'm just about 22 years old and ready to start a lifelong (hopefully) hobby. Been intrigued since my first visit to New Glarus Brewery. Cheers

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 10:15:23 am »
If you have another fermenter (that isn't you're bottling bucket), get another batch going ASAP. You'll be amazed at how fast that first batch goes.  Congrats!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 11:19:06 am »
You can keep the next batch cooler by placing the carboy in a tub of water and swap out frozen water bottles to keep the brew cool. You'll probably have to do it twice a day at most.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline j.petykowski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 03:15:01 pm »
You can keep the next batch cooler by placing the carboy in a tub of water and swap out frozen water bottles to keep the brew cool. You'll probably have to do it twice a day at most.

Thank you I will give this a try, folks weren't on board with me turning the air conditioning all the way down.

If you have another fermenter (that isn't you're bottling bucket), get another batch going ASAP. You'll be amazed at how fast that first batch goes.  Congrats!

I'm sure it will. So for good measure, I ran to the local homebrew store this afternoon to grab myself another carboy, thanks!