Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: To Share or Not to Share  (Read 7155 times)

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
To Share or Not to Share
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:41:58 am »
This may sound pretty lousy of me but I am not sure that I want to share my homebrew.  I have a company party coming up in a few hours and I was contemplating bringing a few bombers of my strawberry IPA to share.  I only have 4 bombers and 4 12 oz left and the people who actually would appreciate it have already tried it, and some who just wanted free beer have tried it as well and then followed it up with a Miller Light.  I know most of the people at the party will just be looking to get drunk on cheap vodka, so I feel that my efforts will be wasted.  So, should I share, or keep it for myself and a select few rather than the masses?

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: To Share or Not to Share
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:03:48 am »
If this would work, you could bring two bombers and some cups, and pour small amounts.  But nobody at this party knows your inventory, so you could also bring a really nice sixpack of commercial beer and be done with it. "Where's your homebrew?" "That was a great batch, wasn't it?"
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:57:33 am »
Share it with people who will appreciate it.

I've never found the office crowd to be too appreciative.  Polite, of course, but most are not craft beer drinkers.

Your office may be different, but it doesn't sound like it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 10:29:53 am »
I tend to be rather stingy with my beer when my supply starts to run low, as well. It's your beer, share if you want, or don't. I've had a few "friends" who just wanted free beer from me, and didn't care what it was. I'm not too concerned if they are upset with me. Just tell the moochers you are out, and the next batch won't be ready for some time. And share with those who will appreciate it, even in small amounts, privately somewhere else.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:56:22 am »
Do not cast your pearls before swine.
You can watch the way they taste it. If they throw it back like it's a frat house challenge...they ain't our kind of folks and it's a waste of your efforts. OTOH, if they sample and taste thoughtfully and are interested in learning, it's fun to turn people on to HB.

Office party...nope.  One on one or smaller get togethers....for sure.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 11:31:34 am »
No one will love your baby as much as you do. I've been pleasantly surprised by the response I've gotten from otherwise BMC-only drinkers. If you share your beer, you have to be OK with some people not liking it. Assuming anyone who doesn't like your beer has horrible taste is veering towards snobbery, if you care about that. I don't really mind being a snob.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 12:22:17 pm »
I love sharing my beer! In fact that is the biggest reason I stepped up to 10 gallons. 5 for me and 5 for my friends. However I only share with those who can/will appreciate it.  If someone is just looking at it for "free beer" ....that kinda pisses me off.

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 01:25:46 pm »
It's always good to get new people hooked on something good but in the masses I find it lost on some so I tend to keep it to a circle of friends who give honest feedback.  I also tend to like my beer and when I give away too much of a good batch I get a bit disappointed that there is little for me.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 01:35:44 pm »
I share my brew at homebrew club meetings and with friends in far away places if they promise to trade me back, and I send beer off to competitions and brew for club event give-aways, but I find the attitude of non brewing friends and work acquaintences a bit odd.  It's as if they think I'm hoarding my beer if I don't share it all the time.  Do they not know how much effort goes into a batch of homebrew?  I like the ad that Charlie P. has in Zymurgy - "This is my beer.  Make your own!"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:27:16 pm by jeffy »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 03:13:50 pm »
"Share it with people who will appreciate it."
+1

haha, I've been there.  Some batches become The Precious and I cannot share.  Considering I did all the work I'm going to drink them myself!
You tell yourself it's only homebrew and you can make more.  Then you have someone that insists they really want to try your beer and are open to new things...and you watch them surreptitiously pouring out 3/4 of your amazing belgian dark strong... 

not surprisingly Charlie was right.  It's mine; make your own.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 04:36:26 pm »
Screw em.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 05:40:51 pm »
I share my brew at homebrew club meetings and with friends in far away places if they promise to trade me back, and I send beer off to competitions and brew for club event give-aways, but I find the attitude of non brewing friends and work acquaintences a bit odd.  It's as if they think I'm hoarding my beer if I don't share it all the time.  Do they not know how much effort goes into a batch of homebrew?  I like the ad that Charlie P. has in Zymurgy - "This is my beer.  Make your own!"
+1
This is my way of thinking, but you know that/  :)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 08:50:07 am »
I like to share mine at club meetings and with certain of my friends.  Most of my beers are pretty hop centric and don't appeal to many of the BMC drinkers, especially my family.  They all think my beer is too "strong". 
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 08:53:00 am »
I did not end up bringing any, the people who tried it and liked it were a bit disappointed I didn’t but understood why, when in the background the rest of the guests were guzzling miller lite and loving every free drop.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 09:22:26 am »
Now I feel bad about myself for drinking Budweiser. I hope everyone isn't secretly judging me when I do.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.