Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pizza Fatta en Casa  (Read 54813 times)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: Pizza Fatta en Casa
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 09:36:05 pm »
Thats a beauty!!!

I think the only Stromboli is Philly style. If Im not mistaken it was invented there.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 07:07:41 am »
Well done, bluesman!  That looks awesome.  Do you use the Lehmann dough formulation for that or something else?
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 08:04:10 am »
Looks great, Ron!  I usually do it like a turn over myself (can fit more stuff in it).  We're on a good for you food diet lately, so I doubt I will be posting any bread or pizza type stuff :'(
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 08:32:53 am »
Thats a beauty!!!

I think the only Stromboli is Philly style. If Im not mistaken it was invented there.

Thanks Cap.

Actually some claim the origin is traced to Spokane, Washington as noted by Wapedia below.

Stromboli is reported to have originated in 1950 in Essington, Tinicum Township just outside of Philadelphia, at Romano's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria, by Nazzareno Romano. There, William Schofield supposedly gave it the name, after the movie Stromboli, starring Ingrid Bergman. [1] Other sources claim the stromboli was the brainchild of Mike Aquino, Sr. and that he created it in Spokane, Washington in 1954. [2] .
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 08:33:56 am »
Well done, bluesman!  That looks awesome.  Do you use the Lehmann dough formulation for that or something else?

Thanks Matt.

Yes. I used the Lehmann dough formulation and it turned out fantastic!  8)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 08:34:46 am »
Looks great, Ron!  I usually do it like a turn over myself (can fit more stuff in it).  We're on a good for you food diet lately, so I doubt I will be posting any bread or pizza type stuff :'(

Thanks Jim.

You could afford to treat yourself once in a while.  8)
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 10:43:56 am »

Thanks Jim.

You mean like sausages and cheese and pretzels and rye bread and lentils. ;)

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 10:47:56 am »

Thanks Jim.

You mean like sausages and cheese and pretzels and rye bread and lentils. ;)

Yeah...something like that.  :D
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 04:55:15 pm »
Thats a beauty!!!

Thanks Cap.

Actually some claim the origin is traced to Spokane, Washington as noted by Wapedia below.

Stromboli is reported to have originated in 1950 in Essington, Tinicum Township just outside of Philadelphia, at Romano's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria, by Nazzareno Romano. There, William Schofield supposedly gave it the name, after the movie Stromboli, starring Ingrid Bergman. [1] Other sources claim the stromboli was the brainchild of Mike Aquino, Sr. and that he created it in Spokane, Washington in 1954. [2] .

Spokane Washington?...Come on.

It was Philly for sure.

Spokane Washington...Ha Ha Ha...Was the Hoagie invented there too?  ;D
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

ohiobrewman

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 05:00:47 pm »
Now that's making me hungry :)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 06:44:53 am »
Thats a beauty!!!

Thanks Cap.

Spokane Washington?...Come on.

It was Philly for sure.

Spokane Washington...Ha Ha Ha...Was the Hoagie invented there too?  ;D

It's funny...I can't find one iota of info. that verifies Mike Aquino, Sr. is the creator of the stromboli...other than he said...she said...you said.

I guess one can beleive what they want. I do know for a fact that Romano's was making them in the 50's and continue to make them today. So there you have it Cap.  8)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:41:57 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 05:56:09 pm »
Made another NY-style pepperoni pizza tonight.  I used a 50/50 blend of Trader Joe's whole-milk and part-skim mozzarella cheeses.  I also added about .50 oz of parmigiano-reggiano cheese.  It was easily the best cheese I've used and probably the best NY-style pizza I've made (I've made probably made 10-11 of them so far).

AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 06:48:09 pm »
Great job Matt.

I think I've asked you this before on another channel, but what temp do you preheat your oven and for how long?

Also...approx. how long do you bake the pie? Do you put the pizza on the bottom rack of oven, on a screen first screen, then stone?

Looks delicious!  8)
Ron Price

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 07:20:12 pm »
Great job Matt.

I think I've asked you this before on another channel, but what temp do you preheat your oven and for how long?

Also...approx. how long do you bake the pie? Do you put the pizza on the bottom rack of oven, on a screen first screen, then stone?

Looks delicious!  8)

Thanks bluesman!

My apologies if you asked me before and I didn't respond.  I preheat my oven to 550 (although I don't have an oven thermometer, so I've never determined if the oven actually gets up to 550).  I preheat for one hour from the time the oven actually gets to 550.  It usually takes about 25 minutes for my oven to get up to that temp.

I bake the pie for approximately 8 minutes.  I start with the pizza on a 16" screen in the upper half of the oven until the cheese just begins to bubble (which is usually about 4 minutes into cooking).  Then, I rotate the pizza 180 degrees (to promote even cooking) and slide it off the screen onto the stone, which is on the bottom most rack of the oven.  When the bottom of the pizza is done to my liking (usually after about 3-4 minutes), I turn on the broiler and move the pizza back up to the upper rack for another minute or so, or until the rim is nicely browned and the cheese is nicely melted.

I have to say, tonight was the first time I really nailed my process.  Now I want to start getting more creative with toppings.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 07:47:31 am »
Good job, Matt.  It looks perfect!  I preheat to 500 myself and do the whole bake on a stone.  Your crust looks great!  I am assuming it's crispy and chewy from the look of it.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim