Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pizza Fatta en Casa  (Read 54817 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Pizza Fatta en Casa
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 07:54:58 am »
Great job Matt.

I think I've asked you this before on another channel, but what temp do you preheat your oven and for how long?

Also...approx. how long do you bake the pie? Do you put the pizza on the bottom rack of oven, on a screen first screen, then stone?

Looks delicious!  8)

Thanks bluesman!

My apologies if you asked me before and I didn't respond.  I preheat my oven to 550 (although I don't have an oven thermometer, so I've never determined if the oven actually gets up to 550).  I preheat for one hour from the time the oven actually gets to 550.  It usually takes about 25 minutes for my oven to get up to that temp.

I bake the pie for approximately 8 minutes.  I start with the pizza on a 16" screen in the upper half of the oven until the cheese just begins to bubble (which is usually about 4 minutes into cooking).  Then, I rotate the pizza 180 degrees (to promote even cooking) and slide it off the screen onto the stone, which is on the bottom most rack of the oven.  When the bottom of the pizza is done to my liking (usually after about 3-4 minutes), I turn on the broiler and move the pizza back up to the upper rack for another minute or so, or until the rim is nicely browned and the cheese is nicely melted.

I have to say, tonight was the first time I really nailed my process.  Now I want to start getting more creative with toppings.

No apologies required Matt.

I actually tried going direct to the stone on the bottom of my gas fired oven @ 550F (pre-heated for 60min) and got the slightly charred bottom that you've shown. See the following photos. I was going on the screen on the top first as you've done but the pie tended to stick the screen.

Overall this pie was my best to date.

I need to repeat the results to feel really good about it, but I'm happy with the progress.  8)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:26:44 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 08:01:28 am »
We're on a good for you food diet lately, so I doubt I will be posting any bread or pizza type stuff :'(
I am too
Did a Lawash flatbread for the crust (100 cal), 1/4 cup sauce (your choice), 1/2 cup cheese (try a mix of low fat and no fat) spicy Turkey sausage (1 oz) or turkey pepperoni. Add 'shrooms and tomatoe and other veggies to your hearts content. This will come in at 450-500 cal for the whole dinner plate sized pizza.  Cook it in a 500F oven, preferablly on a pizza stone, for 10 minutes.  The bread will crisp up, especially if you pre-cook it for a couple of minutes.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 08:08:21 am »
Once again, I lie ;)  Made buffalo turkey pizzas with leftover turkey breast on Friday night.  Always a big hit.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 09:10:32 am »
Once again, I lie ;)  Made buffalo turkey pizzas with leftover turkey breast on Friday night.  Always a big hit.

Great use of leftover turkey.

Ron Price

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 05:50:31 pm »
bluesman,

I have two screens and with one of them, the pizza always sticks.  With the other, the pizza transfers very easily.  I've taken a close look at both of them and can't see any discernible difference.  But it may be your screen that is the issue.  Just a thought.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 07:07:15 pm »
bluesman,

I have two screens and with one of them, the pizza always sticks.  With the other, the pizza transfers very easily.  I've taken a close look at both of them and can't see any discernible difference.  But it may be your screen that is the issue.  Just a thought.

I noticed the top face of the screen to be somewhat sharp around the edges of the lattice work. I wonder if there is any difference between different manufacturers of screens. Something to consider going forward. Thanks for the tip.
Ron Price

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2009, 01:15:39 pm »
....I turn on the broiler and move the pizza back up to the upper rack for another minute or so, or until the rim is nicely browned and the cheese is nicely melted.

You are a genius. I've made a few pizzas and this little trick gave my last pie nice "leopard spots" on the cheese. Thanks.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2009, 02:13:31 pm »
....I turn on the broiler and move the pizza back up to the upper rack for another minute or so, or until the rim is nicely browned and the cheese is nicely melted.

You are a genius. I've made a few pizzas and this little trick gave my last pie nice "leopard spots" on the cheese. Thanks.

What temp do you bake the pie at?  Mine gets that way without having to move it around and I use a stone alone at 500F.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2009, 04:24:46 pm »

I think that's the first time anyone has ever called me that.   ;D  I read about using the broiler for finishing on a pizza forum.  It really helps with the "leoparding," as you pointed out.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2009, 02:36:14 pm »

What temp do you bake the pie at?  Mine gets that way without having to move it around and I use a stone alone at 500F.

500f but I don't use a stone (santa may bring me one) and I was using really wet mozz. I have switched to a low moisture and done the broil thing with great success.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 07:57:49 am »
Had a pizza party Saturday night.  I did 7 pies and a stromboli in less than an hour.  They were eating them faster than I could turn them out. :o

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2009, 10:16:21 am »
Had a pizza party Saturday night.  I did 7 pies and a stromboli in less than an hour.  They were eating them faster than I could turn them out. :o

Nice...did you take any pics.
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 07:55:58 am »

Nice...did you take any pics.

Are you kidding?  It was a flurry of flour for an hour. ;)  Was cool though, made every pie different.  Cheessteak stromboli,  red pepper, artichoke and proscuitto.  sauage and onion, pepperoni (of course), sausage, poblano and onion, fresh mushroom.  Can't remember the rest.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 03:54:13 pm »
Does anyone have a good sauce recipe? My current one is:

1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbl dried basil
1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano

It needs a lot of work  ;D

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 05:18:44 pm »
My sauce is even simpler than yours, glitterbug.  I just start with this tomato product called "6 in 1" (I buy it at my local grocery store) and add salt, pepper and a blend of dried italian seasonings to taste.  The 6 in 1 stuff is just crushed tomatoes in a heavy tomato puree.  Apparently, the tomatoes are picked and packed within only a few hours and there are no preservatives/additives.  It's a great product.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial