Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC regional experiences  (Read 22410 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
NHC regional experiences
« on: April 07, 2013, 11:18:38 am »
There have been a lot of changes, new locations, and more interest than ever before.
So, I'm interested in hearing how they are going!

I can report that the Kansas City Bier Meisters did a great, great job of organizing a successful judging weekend in KC.  I know they are exhausted now but I hope they consider hosting a regional in another year or two.  Some solid and some excellent beers from around the country, and judging done by around 5pm yesterday.  Sufficient lighting and not overcrowded.  The food was great and plentiful, thanks.  Quite a few judges made really long drives to help out.  Janis even flew out to help!  Yeah I did some b****ing about a few long flights, but that is practically my calling card.    ;D

Looks like Category 16 is the most popular these days.  People love their Belgian Specialties...

How are the others regions going?

cheers--
--Michael

Offline james

• Brewer
Re: NHC regional experiences
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:04:32 pm »
I drove over to Seattle to judge this weekend.  We did 1 session Friday night and 2 on Saturday.  Wrapped up by 5:30 on Saturday.

Really well organized and everything went smoothly.  Having the 2nd bottle for mini-BOS is awesome.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:59:04 am »
I can report that the Kansas City Bier Meisters did a great, great job of organizing a successful judging weekend in KC.  I know they are exhausted now but I hope they consider hosting a regional in another year or two.  Some solid and some excellent beers from around the country, and judging done by around 5pm yesterday.  Sufficient lighting and not overcrowded.  The food was great and plentiful, thanks.  Quite a few judges made really long drives to help out.  Janis even flew out to help!  Yeah I did some b****ing about a few long flights, but that is practically my calling card.    ;D

Michael, thank you for the kind words! Yes, we are all exhausted, but it was well worth it. We certainly could not have pulled it off without the help of everyone - something Janis also commented on. When a snafu arose, there was always someone there to figure it out and make it a non-issue.

We had AMAZING food crafted by one of our members, a great staff, and a whole lot of volunteers from all over the midwest (and some beyond!).

I do hope we can do this again next year. If we can improve on a "great, great job", then I think we're in business!

PS - I'm going to have to get the recipe for that peach cider you handed me.  ;D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:36:52 am »
I forgot about the second bottle for mini-BOS...Mostly because it caused everything to go smoothly, and is generally an awesome change.  The competition isn't perfect but this is a big improvement.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:36:24 pm »
I agree that the 2nd bottle was a huge win during judging.  I was able to pull flights from large categories when extra judges showed up, because the mini-BOS could be delayed until all flights finished with no detrimental effects.  Even during the bottle sort, the larger number of bottles wasn't that big of a deal, as we finished the sort in a little over 3 hours.
It did take 2x the space though.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:29:59 am »
I thought I'd bump this up to see how the other regions have faired...are we all done?

I judged Th/Fri/Sat in Tulsa.  I believe they finished up the last few categories on Sunday.

An unfortunately-timed Tulsa Craft Beer Week really ate into the local volunteer pool, but I was impressed with the organization.  The FOAM club does a nice job, and Desiree Knott is an amazing organizer.

Several judges came from Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri and Texas to help out.  Gary Glass also flew out to help, which gave us a certain street cred...not as much as if we'd had Janis, but beggers can't be choosers.   ;D
I think a good time was had by all.  I saw a lot of really well-filled-out scoresheets.

Once again the single best improvement to this competition was the 2nd bottle. 
In review I'd be happy to send entries to Tulsa again and would judge there again, especially if they work on the local Fest scheduling to increase the volunteer pool.

any other regions/volunteers want to chime in?  Things you're happy with?  Areas for improvement?

cheers--
--Michael

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 11:10:00 am »
I thought I'd bump this up to see how the other regions have faired...are we all done?

I judged Th/Fri/Sat in Tulsa.  I believe they finished up the last few categories on Sunday.

An unfortunately-timed Tulsa Craft Beer Week really ate into the local volunteer pool, but I was impressed with the organization.  The FOAM club does a nice job, and Desiree Knott is an amazing organizer.

Several judges came from Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri and Texas to help out.  Gary Glass also flew out to help, which gave us a certain street cred...not as much as if we'd had Janis, but beggers can't be choosers.   ;D
I think a good time was had by all.  I saw a lot of really well-filled-out scoresheets.

Once again the single best improvement to this competition was the 2nd bottle. 
In review I'd be happy to send entries to Tulsa again and would judge there again, especially if they work on the local Fest scheduling to increase the volunteer pool.

any other regions/volunteers want to chime in?  Things you're happy with?  Areas for improvement?

cheers--
--Michael

I judged & stewarded on Saturday in Tulsa with the FOAM guys and High Gravity. Kudos to a well organized judging (lunch was great too!). Got to put a few faces to names I see on here or competition results pages.

Ross

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 11:13:19 am »
I judged Saturday in Zanesville and everything appeared to run smoothly.  I was not involved with any organization.  Those dudes seemed to keep things running and at least looked pretty well organized.

As a judge, I liked having the second bottle for mini-BOS.  Although its like there is a cup shortage now....

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 11:58:43 am »
Thanks to the both of you (Michael & Ross) & all of our guest judges for helping us out at the NHC (1st Round) in Tulsa, OK. We had some great beers & meads with some solid catered food from the 907 CafĂ© to lay down some good "belly mortar" for enjoying all of those fine homebrews. It's always nice to see entrants putting forth effort to help judge a competition they have vested interest in. I agree that we were "short-handed" due to Tulsa Craft Beer Week (TCBW) compared to our normal judging pool, but we also had a great crew on the other side of town at the festival speaking "the good beer (homebrew) gospel" and received alot of publicity for craft & homebrewed beer in Oklahoma. We'll definitely coordinate better & offset the dates IF High Gravity (Desiree) decides to host it again next year, but this year it was totally out of our control. Thanks again to you both! P.s. It was very nice to finally meet you Ross "Angry Scotsman" Harper. You're really not as "Angry" as all of that!  >:(  :P
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline Frank Barickman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 12:40:04 pm »
Thanks bbkf! 

From an organizers standpoint, I think it ran fairly smooth in Zanesville this weekend.  We judged 721 beers Friday - Sunday.  We were down about 20 judges compared to previous years that I have run the event.  We have a pretty good sized judge pool in our region so its not for lack of numbers. 

Reasons:

1.  I heard from numerous people that they were not judging this year cause they were frustrated with registration and/or having to ship their beers to a different region.

2. I heard from people that they were not entering or judging this year cause they were shut out of the conference and just did not care.

3. Several regional clubs had some events planned (normal meeting night, brewout, etc.)

On the flip side, we had a Friday session with 14 of 16 judges being National or higher and most other sessions were pushing closer to 20 of 50 being National or higher. 

Thanks to all that are lurking and came out to help!

Cheers,

Frank Barickman
"I'm not bitter"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:22:37 pm by Frank Barickman »

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 12:51:00 pm »
I believe that all the 1st round judging has taken place right?  Does that mean maybe this week the AHA will post 1st round results?  May 4th is too far away!! :(

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 01:14:06 pm »
I believe that all the 1st round judging has taken place right?  Does that mean maybe this week the AHA will post 1st round results?  May 4th is too far away!! :(

All of the regionals have to get their results to Janis and she has to process all of them. Be patient, young grasshopper.  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 01:59:54 pm »
Family obligations got in the way of judging in Zanesville. Had a good time at Indy last year. Zanesville is even closer to home.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 12:18:25 pm »
I drove down to judge a couple of flights for the San Diego location.  It was very well run and a pleasure to judge.  Kudos to Eric DuRose and the rest of the organizers and stewards.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 06:04:08 pm »

All of the regionals have to get their results to Janis and she has to process all of them. Be patient, young grasshopper.  8)

OK  the NHC says all results have been processed!!  Now can we get the results?....or do we have to wait another week?