Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC regional experiences  (Read 22411 times)

Offline vikeman

• 1st Kit
Re: NHC regional experiences
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 06:26:24 pm »
Michael, I got my scores back today from Tulsa judging and I only had one beer entered, it was in the 14C cat. I scored a 36.5 and it says advanced to mini-BOS, I take that meant that it went to a second judge cause I have two score sheets.

In a Mini-BOS, entries are ranked, but not normally scored.  Those two sheets you got back would have been from the two judges who judged your beer before the mini-BOS.

Offline biggerk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 06:37:00 pm »
I got mine from the Zanesville OH judging center...

biggerk
CAMRA Charlottesville VA
Kirk
Keg #1: Cider - York, Pink Lady, SF-05
Keg #2: English Brown
Keg #3: AHA Big Brew Wit - Cask Condition
On Deck:  English Brown
English Brown:  3rd Place Nashville Regional 2011 NHBC.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 07:05:57 pm »
If we know some regions are a bit slow, why are we still sending our beers to them? Somewhat local and well organized are my requirements for any competition. If I wasn't allowed to enter my beers in KC, I would have picked either Tulsa or St. Paul because I know they can run a great competition.

Well, this doesn't work for first time entrants who have no idea about the regions.  It also doesn't work because the registration process was a complete disaster.  It also, also doesn't work because once the entrant registers they are unable to register elsewhere.

This has been my first (and likely last) attempt to participate in the NHC and/or anything AHA related.  Due to the size and prestige of 'The Worlds Largest Homebrew Competition' (and the exorbitant fees) I was expecting a certain level of professionalism and it has been anything but.  I feel like I participated in a hobby group that got out of the organizers hands.  Lesson learned I suppose.

I feel a bit of the same way...This was my first time entering the NHC .I don't know I was just expecting it to run more smoothly for the hoops I had to jump through and high fees I had to pay just to enter.  Thank goodness my entries got moved to Seattle.....I received my scoresheets literally within days of the competition. Of course I don't know if my high scoring beers even went to the mini BOS since nothing was marked and there is some confusion if judges were supposed to fill them out. I don't know if I will enter next year but either way I don't expect the AHA to change. There is no need when demand out strips supply.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 07:20:14 pm »
If we know some regions are a bit slow, why are we still sending our beers to them? Somewhat local and well organized are my requirements for any competition. If I wasn't allowed to enter my beers in KC, I would have picked either Tulsa or St. Paul because I know they can run a great competition.

Well, this doesn't work for first time entrants who have no idea about the regions.  It also doesn't work because the registration process was a complete disaster.  It also, also doesn't work because once the entrant registers they are unable to register elsewhere.

This has been my first (and likely last) attempt to participate in the NHC and/or anything AHA related.  Due to the size and prestige of 'The Worlds Largest Homebrew Competition' (and the exorbitant fees) I was expecting a certain level of professionalism and it has been anything but.  I feel like I participated in a hobby group that got out of the organizers hands.  Lesson learned I suppose.

I feel a bit of the same way...This was my first time entering the NHC .I don't know I was just expecting it to run more smoothly for the hoops I had to jump through and high fees I had to pay just to enter.  Thank goodness my entries got moved to Seattle.....I received my scoresheets literally within days of the competition. Of course I don't know if my high scoring beers even went to the mini BOS since nothing was marked and there is some confusion if judges were supposed to fill them out. I don't know if I will enter next year but either way I don't expect the AHA to change. There is no need when demand out strips supply.
From the perspective of a long time member, the NHC has changed for the better in my memory. The Governing Committee was a positive change, as it is made up of members like you and me, who hear member voices and try to make changes for the better.

The problem is the rapid growth of the hobby, and how to respond to and manage the growth. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:28:15 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 09:34:06 pm »
I know we've had a few cover sheets not marked with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place that did advance.  It happens.
What about ones marked with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place that did not advance?  Anyone seen that mistake?

I'd like to see just the top 3 on each web site the second that the last region finishes judging.  But maybe it takes a long time to go through scoresheets and flight summary sheets and double check...

the reason I asked is post-Tulsa judging my name wasn't on the list of top 3 in Cat 14.  Yet my scoresheet shows up Saturday, and in addition to the 4 I knew about, my 14C says "3rd."
Hmm...maybe I'll hold off on draining that keg for a few more days.

cheers--
--Michael

Michael, I got my scores back today from Tulsa judging and I only had one beer entered, it was in the 14C cat. I scored a 36.5 and it says advanced to mini-BOS, I take that meant that it went to a second judge cause I have two score sheets. My question is that the "place awarded" box was blank, I guess that means I didn't place or will that be announced on the 4th? This was my first competition so not sure how this all works. Thanks

fyi, my friend scored 37.5 in this category and finished 2nd.  I also scored 37.5 and while it said "3rd" I found out tonight that I did not advance.  I'm fairly annoyed, truth be told.  The only reason I wasn't super excited is I was there when they announced someone else's name in that spot.  This is not an error we can make without people getting pissed off...

long story short - I wouldn't trust this category in this particular region until the NHC releases official results...
*edit* - sent you a PM to better describe queued judging and mini-BOS.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:39:57 pm by udubdawg »

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 11:21:31 pm »

From the perspective of a long time member, the NHC has changed for the better in my memory. The Governing Committee was a positive change, as it is made up of members like you and me, who hear member voices and try make changes for the better.

The problem is the rapid growth of the hobby, and how to respond to and manage the growth.
Don't get me wrong I think the AHA does a fantastic job by and large!!  I understand how homebrewing has exploded in the last few years and the problems dealing with that growth.  I think that at some point the AHA "might" have to realize that they can no longer put on the NHC in its' current form

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 12:02:13 am »
Don't get me wrong I think the AHA does a fantastic job by and large!!  I understand how homebrewing has exploded in the last few years and the problems dealing with that growth.  I think that at some point the AHA "might" have to realize that they can no longer put on the NHC in its' current form
We have already realized this and the competition committee is currently talking through the changes we are considering for next year.  We are also planning to survey the membership to find out what they want/expect from the competition so that we can make sure they are positive changes.  While I can't guarantee we will fix all of the problems and make everyone happy, it won't be because we didn't try to anticipate the needs of the competition.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 06:14:36 am »
We have already realized this and the competition committee is currently talking through the changes we are considering for next year.  We are also planning to survey the membership to find out what they want/expect from the competition so that we can make sure they are positive changes.  While I can't guarantee we will fix all of the problems and make everyone happy, it won't be because we didn't try to anticipate the needs of the competition.

You guys are awesome. Keep it up!  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

narvin

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 10:31:43 am »

fyi, my friend scored 37.5 in this category and finished 2nd.  I also scored 37.5 and while it said "3rd" I found out tonight that I did not advance.  I'm fairly annoyed, truth be told.  The only reason I wasn't super excited is I was there when they announced someone else's name in that spot.  This is not an error we can make without people getting pissed off...

Did it say "3rd" on the summary sheet for your entries, or just in the box on the cover sheet for that beer?

Also, how do you know you didn't advance?  When did they "announce" the results?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 10:43:02 am »
I got my score sheets from Zanesville yesterday.  Unfortunately there must have been better beers on the table.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 10:44:36 am »
Did it say "3rd" on the summary sheet for your entries, or just in the box on the cover sheet for that beer?

Also, how do you know you didn't advance?  When did they "announce" the results?

They read the regional results out loud at the conclusion of judging to the volunteers in attendance.  They are supposed to do this at each regional.  We looked at list of winners too to double-check, and my name wasn't on there.  I didn't see the Flight Summary Sheet and it wouldn't have done any good anyway, as it was just a number and not a name.  It was only a week later that I received the surprise of a Cover Sheet that said I finished 3rd.  I suspect a judge number of 5006 or other number that looked similar to my 5060 is the one that advanced.  Without the Flight Summary Sheet I cannot be sure.

Since I was there it was obvious a mistake was made, and was just a matter of determining which was correct - winner list or cover sheet.  If Desiree says I didn't advance then I trust her.  But what about the 90% of entrants who weren't in Tulsa?  Those 90% of people would have been excited to receive cover sheets that say they advanced and then pissed when finding out later that they didn't actually advance...

cheers--
--Michael 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 10:48:29 am »
I got my sheets back yesterday. Most of my beers were knocked down for one reason or another, doing some tasting last night, I agree.

The CAP saved the day, with a 1st. Now I will be nervous at the banquet, but will know the results fairly quick in the awards ceremony
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:05:55 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 10:51:46 am »
New York scoresheets . . . Anyone?  :'(

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 10:54:58 am »
Not yet.  Rumor on another forum says envelopes were being stuffed this past weekend so I expect they were put in the mail yesterday.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 11:21:02 am »

I know someone who entered NYC and he got his scoresheets yesterday.  You should get yours soon too i presume.