Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC regional experiences  (Read 22413 times)

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
Re: NHC regional experiences
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2013, 11:38:53 am »
New York scoresheets . . . Anyone?  :'(

I know someone who entered NYC and he got his scoresheets yesterday.  You should get yours soon too i presume.

No scoresheets in today's mail....maybe tomorrow.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2013, 11:40:03 am »
Since I was there it was obvious a mistake was made, and was just a matter of determining which was correct - winner list or cover sheet.  If Desiree says I didn't advance then I trust her.  But what about the 90% of entrants who weren't in Tulsa?  Those 90% of people would have been excited to receive cover sheets that say they advanced and then pissed when finding out later that they didn't actually advance...

This is exactly why I did an audit of every winner marked on the cover sheet versus the database before I started stuffing. I would hate to go through that myself.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2013, 11:43:39 am »
This is exactly why I did an audit of every winner marked on the cover sheet versus the database before I started stuffing. I would hate to go through that myself.

you rock!

8)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2013, 11:53:39 am »
I think Amanda should expect her region to fill up quickly next year if they decide to do it again. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bphad

• 1st Kit
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:02 am »
Anyone know if Milwaukee also put in placings?
One of my beers scored a 40, advanced to mini-BOS, but nothing in the place box.
Had high hopes for it as it has placed at every other comp it has been entered into this year.
Brewing....

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2013, 12:27:19 pm »
I think Amanda should expect her region to fill up quickly next year if they decide to do it again.

I entered KC.  I think they did an outstanding job.  I entered 15 there and I think I had a master level judge on 12 of the 15.  14/15 of my entries scored above 30.   I'm quite pleased and would totally enter their region again....but I think this is the last year of NHC for me.  Its time to let some of the newer brewers have the fun.

Offline jeffjm

• Cellarman
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2013, 12:51:19 pm »

As opposed to the incredibly long time it took to fill up this year?  ;)
I set out running but I take my time.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2013, 11:41:39 am »
First round results are up

http://bit.ly/13MxsL3

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2013, 12:12:20 pm »
I went and logged in. I have no scores against my entries. Is anyone else seeing the same, or did my beers not make it to the shipping destination.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2013, 12:22:17 pm »
I went and logged in. I have no scores against my entries. Is anyone else seeing the same, or did my beers not make it to the shipping destination.

my scores show up...

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2013, 12:29:54 pm »

my scores show up...

Well I guess mine probably didn't make it. I had to resend after customs rejected a package with a broken bottle. Noone involved in the competition's fault, but annoying all the same.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2013, 03:42:39 pm »
Even with all the registration issues, I like the online system.  I might be in the minority on this but I don't remember being able to see my scores before receiving the scoresheets (still no sheets from NYC).

Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline a witty man

• Cellarman
  • Fed by Fermentation
    • Zephyr Fermented Beverages
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2013, 08:46:18 am »
I received my NY scoresheets yesterday, and was happy with most of the feedback I received. (I passed 3 beers to the second round, so I can't complain too much!)

This said, I am rather upset about the sheets I received for my entry in the "Wood and Smoked Beer" category. Sure I got a low score and am a bit bitter about that (but don't worry I'm not going to tantrum here and defend the merits of my beer, etc.). What is really disappointing is that this category was paneled solely by a non-bjcp and an apprentice level judge. So, not one of the judges has scored higher than a 60 on the BJCP exam...

For a national competition where prices were rather steep and stakes rather high, I find it extremely disappointing that I did not receive scoring or feedback from a more experienced judge. I understand that there may be a lack of judges, but even at the smallest of competitions in which I have judged there has always been a "recognized" or higher ranked judge on each panel (and typically "certified" or higher). I'm not one of those entrants that throws every beer I brew into the national competition; I only send the beers I think would do well, and I do expect to receive feedback from experienced palates that will enable me to fine tune and better these beers.

To be clear, this has nothing to do with these two particular judges -- I am grateful for their effort in tackling a rather difficult category with limited experience, and will most likely be responding to them individually with my specific responses to their scoresheets. (If you're out there guys, thanks for the feedback, and stick with it!)

I'm curious to hear if others met with similar panels in other NHC regionals, or if this was only a problem in the NYC regional.
~Aaron
Founding Member of the Albany Brew Crafters
BJCP Certified #e1105
www.zephyrfermentedbeverages.blogspot.com

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2013, 09:54:38 am »
I'm curious to hear if others met with similar panels in other NHC regionals,

@ Witty.

I can only tell you of my experience judging in Denver.  As an inexperienced judge (was unranked at comp time, now am "recognized" and awaiting another exam score from test in March to see if I make grade to become "certified"), I was paired with no less than a National judge or extremely experienced brewer (he had his PhD in Brewing Science from University of Brussells...which was awesome for me....and might have also been national but who cares at that point).  I would guess that Denver has a nice collection of National ranked folks to make this a reality, but my guess is that the organizers make the best pairings they have avaliable and many non-bjcp folks are known to the organizers through club functions to be qualified homebrewers.  Rarely does someone get conscripted off the street except in dire emergency.

Taking tests is not everyone's bag....I know i hate doing it, and will be reluctant to shoot for another higher rank again no matter how much experience I have.

So, it is more likely than not your judges weren't complete newbies, or NY at worst had a dire situation and needs more qualified volunteers (that are willing).  If the sheets were of poor quality, that could be an issue, but rank has little to do with how conscientious the taster is at that moment, nor how many beers he/she had been through before yours in flight and in earlier session(s), too.  Some of the best comments I got from my beers this year were from the less experienced judges...best as in understandable, constructive, and helpful....not that I liked all of what they had to say.

My experience has led me to believe that beer judging is some of the hardest drinking you'll ever do (not in quantity)....it is just a difficult practice.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Online smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2013, 11:41:45 am »
This said, I am rather upset about the sheets I received for my entry in the "Wood and Smoked Beer" category. Sure I got a low score and am a bit bitter about that (but don't worry I'm not going to tantrum here and defend the merits of my beer, etc.). What is really disappointing is that this category was paneled solely by a non-bjcp and an apprentice level judge. So, not one of the judges has scored higher than a 60 on the BJCP exam...

For a national competition where prices were rather steep and stakes rather high, I find it extremely disappointing that I did not receive scoring or feedback from a more experienced judge. I understand that there may be a lack of judges, but even at the smallest of competitions in which I have judged there has always been a "recognized" or higher ranked judge on each panel (and typically "certified" or higher). I'm not one of those entrants that throws every beer I brew into the national competition; I only send the beers I think would do well, and I do expect to receive feedback from experienced palates that will enable me to fine tune and better these beers.

To be clear, this has nothing to do with these two particular judges -- I am grateful for their effort in tackling a rather difficult category with limited experience, and will most likely be responding to them individually with my specific responses to their scoresheets. (If you're out there guys, thanks for the feedback, and stick with it!)

I'm curious to hear if others met with similar panels in other NHC regionals, or if this was only a problem in the NYC regional.

Ditto.  I received a set of score sheets from a provisional judge and non-bjcp.  That's poor.  We offer new judges seats at our competitions, but only when we have a Certified or higher judge (or two!) to pair them with. 

I know from experience that getting judges to sign up can be like pulling teeth, but the NHC has to have judging centers near a sufficient population of ranked judges to do the job, or incentivize judges to travel with a gas stipend, a comp motel room, or both.  Otherwise, people who get score sheets judged at this level will be turned off, like i was last night when i read them.

Last year I traveled long distances twice, to judge at two 1st round centers, on my own dime just for the experience.  This year the closest center was probably over 5 hours away.  I would have liked to go again, but I couldn't justify the expense to the Spousal Unit this year.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 11:44:19 am by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org