Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop combinations for IPAs  (Read 33417 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Hop combinations for IPAs
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 06:51:02 am »
Re Willamette - It's one of my favorite aroma hops. They says it's actually fuggle, maybe genetically but to my nose and taste its cascade lite
Willamette is a triploid Fuggles, so it is more robust, and there is that PNW terroir going on.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 07:16:44 am »
Am I the only one that likes English IPA's? Challenger,Fuggle,and East Kent Goldings make for an excellent IPA.
those can make a very nice English IPA.

Made a Ballantine IPA clone that was tasty. Bullion, Cluster, EKG.

For quite some time now, I've pretty much settled on Bullion & Cluster as my go-to combination for IPA.  For aroma, I often change things up and have used a variety of different hops, but lately  a combination of Cluster and Cascades gives me pretty much what I'm looking for.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2013, 10:35:09 am »
I heard good things about Williamette? I read an article a week or so ago that recommended it for APA/IPA
Opinions?

Despite the fact that I live in the Willamette valley near the Willamette river, you'll never find Willamette hops in my IPA!  They have an earthiness I don't care for.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2013, 01:00:29 pm »
I heard good things about Williamette? I read an article a week or so ago that recommended it for APA/IPA
Opinions?

I almost always use Willamette, Glacier, Crystal, or Mt. Hood in my IPA/APAs along with the more powerhouse hops. Sometimes I get a little metallic taste from Willamette though. The earthy, spicy, and herbal nature of those hops brings some complexity to the style, IMO.

Otherwise, Nugget/Mosaic is a hop combo I quite like, as well as Brewer's Gold/Mosaic. Another one is Pacific Jade/Crystal plus another hop that I throw in while brewing.
Kyle M.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2013, 11:40:02 am »
Not sure if it would make an IPA but I enjoy beers named after the hops inside. In fact I am planning one called Cluster Fuggle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2013, 12:01:25 pm »
Not sure if it would make an IPA but I enjoy beers named after the hops inside. In fact I am planning one called Cluster Fuggle!

That's funny, I'm planning an English IPA called Fuggly Nugget myself :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ns3580

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2013, 06:19:22 am »
I guess what I'm looking for is something similar to Green Flash West Coast IPA.  I like the grapefuity taste of that.  Mostly just want to try something different, but I don't want to use clashing flavors, or something that would be completely inappropriate.

there is a greenflash recipe in the latest issue of zymurgy that uses simcoe and columbus for most of the bittering and flavor additions until the very end.  It then calls for a large late addition of cascade and uses centennial, simcoe, columbus, amarillo and cascade to dry hop.  i have made this before and it is very good.  on my latest attempt of this beer i substituted the cascade additions with citra and it turned out awesome.  there is a huge grapefruit character that you may be looking for

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2013, 07:45:29 am »
Would the anti Denny pale ale consist of willamette hops And Nottingham yeast? Delicious earthy tartness!
Take it easy...

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2013, 09:52:19 am »
I guess what I'm looking for is something similar to Green Flash West Coast IPA.  I like the grapefuity taste of that.  Mostly just want to try something different, but I don't want to use clashing flavors, or something that would be completely inappropriate.

there is a greenflash recipe in the latest issue of zymurgy that uses simcoe and columbus for most of the bittering and flavor additions until the very end.  It then calls for a large late addition of cascade and uses centennial, simcoe, columbus, amarillo and cascade to dry hop.  i have made this before and it is very good.  on my latest attempt of this beer i substituted the cascade additions with citra and it turned out awesome.  there is a huge grapefruit character that you may be looking for

Thanks for the citra tip. I also have made that recipe many time and it's great, making it Monday but looking to change it up a bit.  did you sub out all the cascade for citra? ounce for ounce?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2013, 11:03:32 am »
Would the anti Denny pale ale consist of willamette hops And Nottingham yeast? Delicious earthy tartness!

;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2013, 05:11:42 pm »

Thanks for the citra tip. I also have made that recipe many time and it's great, making it Monday but looking to change it up a bit.  did you sub out all the cascade for citra? ounce for ounce?
Personally, if I subbed out Cascade for Citra, it wouldn't be oz for oz.  Citra is a great hop but can flat take over if used in equal amounts with other hops IMO.  I would use 1/2 (or just over) the amount that you used for Cascade. I'm sure it would work either way though.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2013, 07:00:23 pm »
I'm thinking about trying to bitter with Summit and finishing with Simcoe and Mosaic. I've read a lot of threads where people knock Summit, and the profile taste of "garlic/onion" is kind of a turn off. I just had an Oskar Blues Gubna, which is exclusively Summit, and love it.
Frank

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2013, 11:28:33 am »
Personally, if I subbed out Cascade for Citra, it wouldn't be oz for oz.  Citra is a great hop but can flat take over if used in equal amounts with other hops IMO.  I would use 1/2 (or just over) the amount that you used for Cascade. I'm sure it would work either way though.

In my brewery, I find this to be true when the beer is fresh, but as it ages a slight amount (say 3-4 weeks in a keg), the Citra domination seems to calm down so I can find the other hop varieties.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 09:46:08 pm »
Nice to see others using Cluster for a bittering hop for IPAs.  Spares me from having to suggest it.

In addition to Cluster, Northern Brewer is also a great IPA bittering hop.

Now after your Cluster/Northern Brewer bittering hop addition, please proceed with Centennial/Amarillo/Cascade for flavor/aroma/dry hop additions, and you are good to go.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 09:57:06 pm »
I like most PNW hops in my IPA's but a Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade combo used in a Basic Brewing Radio APA was excellent.  It was a "15-minute APA" from extract.  I like the hop combo so much I'm getting ready to keg an all-grain rendition of it. The gravity samples have tasted awesome!  My version is more like an "Extra Pale Ale" at 6.2% abv so it may work in an IPA. The hop schedule for 5G batch per James Spencer on BBR:

2 oz. Simcoe @ 15 mins.
2 oz. Amarillo @ 5 mins.
2 oz. Cascade @ flame out

All late additions so more hops required for desired bitterness but awesome hop flavor and aroma!

*EDIT*  I also don't get the "cat pee" flavor it aroma from Simcoe that people refer to.  A friend of mine who gets that aroma suggested because I'm using it in combination with other hops it may not show up.  Others have suggested the Simcoe "cat pee" may me due to hop oxidation.  I've used it twice and will keep doing so in this combination.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:02:51 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer