Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop combinations for IPAs  (Read 33420 times)

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Hop combinations for IPAs
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:04:37 am »
I've brewed an IPA a couple of times using Centennial for bittering and Cascade for aroma.  I want to try something different.

What are your favorite hop combinations for an IPA?

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: Hop combinations for IPAs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13:12 am »
Depends on what you're looking for.  If you like something fruity/citrusy, you may want to use simcoe, citra, or amarillo.  My favorite combo is citra and simcoe.  I use citra to bitter and finish.  I haven't played around with any earthy/piney hops yet in my IPAs, but you may want to throw chinook in the mix as well.
Trey W.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13:54 am »
simcoe, amarillo and columbus
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 10:30:02 am »
simcoe, amarillo and columbus
+1.  Love it.  I love Centennial/Amarillo/Columbus too.  As said, depends on what you're looking for though.
Jon H.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 10:30:47 am »
My wife asked for tropical, so our house IPA is a little Magnum for bittering, and combination of Amarillo/ Cascade for fwh, end of boil and dry hop. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:53:26 am »
I guess what I'm looking for is something similar to Green Flash West Coast IPA.  I like the grapefuity taste of that.  Mostly just want to try something different, but I don't want to use clashing flavors, or something that would be completely inappropriate.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 11:02:43 am »
I guess what I'm looking for is something similar to Green Flash West Coast IPA.  I like the grapefuity taste of that.  Mostly just want to try something different, but I don't want to use clashing flavors, or something that would be completely inappropriate.

From Zymurgy:

Columbus, Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo
Trey W.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 11:17:26 am »
My wife asked for tropical, so our house IPA is a little Magnum for bittering, and combination of Amarillo/ Cascade for fwh, end of boil and dry hop. 
Speaking of tropical, a friend of mine had a similar request from his wife and brewed an IPA recently with Caliente/Calypso/Mosaic/Columbus, used heavily for finishing and dry.  VERY tropical, but thankfully balanced by the piney Columbus.  Smelled like a tropical fruit basket exploded next to a pine tree. Smelled of peach,pineapple,apple, melon, Mosaic blueberry-ness, and dank pine. Unusual but I actually liked it.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 11:26:04 am »
I'm a big fan of Columbus or Chinook for bittering IPA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:51:28 am »
link=topic=16189.msg204026#msg204026 date=1371749164]
I'm a big fan of Columbus or Chinook for bittering IPA.
[/quote]

I completely agree. 
Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo are my go to hops for IPA's.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 11:54:58 am »
For my last IPA I played around with some less common hops and was really happy with the results. I bittered with Galena and Palisade followed by Falconer's Flight and Mosaic for flavor and aroma. Came out more citrusy than I expected (in a good way). Wouldn't surprise me if Mosaic becomes the new Citra.

Offline djsanta

• Cellarman
  • "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks"
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 12:05:18 pm »
I've been making an all Apollo IPA for a while and I love it.  Recently had a Columbus, Cascade, Zythos DIPA and the tropical notes of the Zythos were really unique.  I'm getting ready to brew an Apollo, Cascade, Mosaic DIPA soon...my first Mosaic beer.  Anyone have experience with Mosaic?
On Tap: nada
Conditioning: nada
Fermenting: Mexican Lager
Planned: Doppelbock or Weizenbock, Oatmeal Stout, DIPA

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 12:08:48 pm »
i've been working on a dipa that fwh with centennial and amarillo and then it's all late hop simcoe and warrior. it's quite tasty and requested the most of my ipas.

cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:11 pm »
Amarillo, Citra, and Columbus
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 12:27:15 pm »
I've been making an all Apollo IPA for a while and I love it.  Recently had a Columbus, Cascade, Zythos DIPA and the tropical notes of the Zythos were really unique.  I'm getting ready to brew an Apollo, Cascade, Mosaic DIPA soon...my first Mosaic beer.  Anyone have experience with Mosaic?
Think Simcoe minus alot of the catty quality and with more fruity qualities ( I get the blueberry some have referred to) in addition to the pine that you get from Simcoe.
Jon H.