Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DIPA Hops - Mosaic, Cascade, Apollo  (Read 6754 times)

Offline djsanta

• Cellarman
  • "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks"
DIPA Hops - Mosaic, Cascade, Apollo
« on: July 08, 2013, 04:38:49 pm »
I'm planning a DIPA following Vinnie's Pliny the Elder recipe (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf), but I have different hops I'd like to use...big stash from NikoBrew!

Substitutions planned: Apollo for Columbus, Cascade for Centennial, and Mosaic for Simcoe.

Here are Vinnie's kettle additions for a 6 gal batch...
3.50 oz (99 g) Columbus* 13.90% A.A. 90 min.  (sub Apollo - 18% AA)
0.75 oz (21 g) Columbus* 13.90% A.A. 45 min.  (sub Apollo - 18% AA)
1.00 oz (28 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 30 min.  (sub Mosaic - 12% AA)
1.00 oz (28 g) Centennial 8.00% A.A. 0 min.  (sub Cascade - 5.5% AA)
2.50 oz (71 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 0 min.  (sub Mosaic - 12% AA)

AA % are fairly similar, with the exception of the Apollo.  Should I sub the hops straight across (with an obviously smaller Apollo addition)?  Or should I change the balance?  I've never brewed with Mosaic before, so I'm not sure what to expect there.

Planning to follow the same plan for dry hopping too.  Vinnie calls for equal amounts of each hop in a double dry hop.
On Tap: nada
Conditioning: nada
Fermenting: Mexican Lager
Planned: Doppelbock or Weizenbock, Oatmeal Stout, DIPA

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: DIPA Hops - Mosaic, Cascade, Apollo
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 04:48:08 pm »
There's more going on here than just bitterness.  I'm no expert but the different flavor profiles will, I presume, not blend the same as the original hop blend.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 04:51:37 pm »
Sounds like a solid plan. I think those varieties are each good substitutions to get you in the same ballpark. I'd adjust the Apollo quantities for AA%, but otherwise an ounce-for-ounce substitution should work for each of those hops. The end result will be different, but should still be damn good. Mosaic is a fantastic hop, you're gonna like it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 04:57:31 pm »
I'm planning a DIPA following Vinnie's Pliny the Elder recipe (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf), but I have different hops I'd like to use...big stash from NikoBrew!

Substitutions planned: Apollo for Columbus, Cascade for Centennial, and Mosaic for Simcoe.

Here are Vinnie's kettle additions for a 6 gal batch...
3.50 oz (99 g) Columbus* 13.90% A.A. 90 min.  (sub Apollo - 18% AA)
0.75 oz (21 g) Columbus* 13.90% A.A. 45 min.  (sub Apollo - 18% AA)
1.00 oz (28 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 30 min.  (sub Mosaic - 12% AA)
1.00 oz (28 g) Centennial 8.00% A.A. 0 min.  (sub Cascade - 5.5% AA)
2.50 oz (71 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 0 min.  (sub Mosaic - 12% AA)

AA % are fairly similar, with the exception of the Apollo.  Should I sub the hops straight across (with an obviously smaller Apollo addition)?  Or should I change the balance?  I've never brewed with Mosaic before, so I'm not sure what to expect there.

Planning to follow the same plan for dry hopping too.  Vinnie calls for equal amounts of each hop in a double dry hop.
Obviously, as you mentioned, back the Apollo off to give you IBUs equal to the Columbus. In terms of intensity, Simcoe and Mosaic would be roughly interchangeable, though Mosaic is fruitier (in a good way IMO). And personally I would maybe increase the Cascade from 1 oz to ~1.5 oz because I feel that Cascade is a little less intense than Centennial. So this clearly won't be Pliny in terms of hop aroma and flavor, but it who cares?  Sounds good to me !  Cheers.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:35:35 pm »
I substituted mosaic for Simcoe last year. Let me say the wife would drink it, as she hates the cat pee she gets in Simcoe. Makes a good DIPA. Brew it and enjoy.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:30:44 pm »
i would not dryhop with the Apollo, if i were you.

I did an experiment for our club (based off what I saw on bertusbrewery.com) a few months back, where I dryhopped 12 bottles of Bud Light, each with a different hop for our club to experience the qualities of each hop.

Apollo was voted, hands down by all 15-20 or so people present as the worst dryhop by far.  Rank, oniony and hot garbage were all descriptors I thought were appropriate.  Most of the others were very nice, but that was putrid.

I like Apollo for bittering, but beyond that, I'd rethink it.

YMMV.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 03:48:34 pm »
i would not dryhop with the Apollo, if i were you.

I did an experiment for our club (based off what I saw on bertusbrewery.com) a few months back, where I dryhopped 12 bottles of Bud Light, each with a different hop for our club to experience the qualities of each hop.

Apollo was voted, hands down by all 15-20 or so people present as the worst dryhop by far.  Rank, oniony and hot garbage were all descriptors I thought were appropriate.  Most of the others were very nice, but that was putrid.

I like Apollo for bittering, but beyond that, I'd rethink it.

YMMV.
I misread the OP, Paul.  Since I only use Apollo for bittering like you, I assumed that was his intention too and that the late hops would be the dry hops, not the whole hop schedule.  But I would definitely not dry hop Apollo after trying a guy's IPA once which was hopped only with Apollo. Wow........horrendous.
Jon H.

Offline djsanta

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 01:31:54 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  I had planned to dry hop with all three hops.  I've made an all Apollo IPA before (bittering, flavor, aroma, and dry hop), and it didn't have any of the unpleasant flavors/aromas that some of you have mentioned. I'm planning to evaluate how they all play together in the boil to determine what direction I want it to lean for the dry hop.

Oh, and I'm using BeerSmith to calculate the IBUs so I have a properly sized bittering addition.

Offline djsanta

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 05:37:31 pm »
Brewed on Saturday.  Had a couple hiccups - flow issues on mash recirc, and ended up with more wort than planned in the kettle, which was also lower gravity than planned.  Stirred the mash and everything moved right along.  The volume/gravity issue was an easy fix: boiled an extra 30 mins before adding the first hop addition.  All ended up well.  The hop blend smelled fantastic.  I got a lot of the blueberry notes people talk about in Mosaic. Can't wait to taste the final product.

OG: 1.084.  Now fermenting away at 67F in my temp controlled fridge after pitching a 2L starter of WLP090.  Planning to dry hop with all three hops.

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 09:19:18 am »
Curious how it turns out as I just ordered a half pound of Apollo from NB. I've never used it before and I really want to experiment with this hop. I am considering blending with Cascades and go for a big grapefruit flavor IPA. Cascades will go in for 20 minutes, 5, and flameout for a hop stand of 30 minutes or so. Considering putting some Apollo in at whirlpool with them and the hop stand.

Keep us updated!

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 06:29:58 pm »
Resurrecting a dead thread, but I'm curious. I have some new Apollo from YVH I was planning on using in my next IPA. How do y'all feel about Apollo as a flameout/dry hop addition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 10:07:20 pm »
Resurrecting a dead thread, but I'm curious. I have some new Apollo from YVH I was planning on using in my next IPA. How do y'all feel about Apollo as a flameout/dry hop addition?

Personally, I've had some fantastic Apollo and some mediocre ones. I'm guessing that the end result depends on growing and harvesting conditions.

At its best, Apollo is like the perfect marriage of Amarillo and Columbus, plenty of tangerine with some dank resin to back it up. The mediocre Apollo I've had has none of the orange notes and is just nondescript "resin" without much depth to it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline weiht

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 04:48:50 am »
Eureka hops..
Don't take it personal, there will be people who dislike your beer!!

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 05:17:45 am »

Eureka hops..

I second this

Eureka, Eureka and more Eureka
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 05:32:44 am »

Been awhile since I brewed it but Apollo was not good as an aroma or flavor hop for me. Lingering sharp bitterness and little else as I recall. Mine were 1 year old though and repackaged in mylar looking nitro purged bags. Plenty of Alpha I will give them that.