Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462782 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 09:17:20 am »
I'm a BBQ nut myself.  Lately I've been doing more direct or indirect grilling, steaks and butterflied chickens and the like.

All above looks good.  Just picked up a corned beef brisket flat which I will coat in a pepper rub and smoke...fake pastrami, but its still fantastic!

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 09:58:59 am »
I'm a BBQ nut myself.  Lately I've been doing more direct or indirect grilling, steaks and butterflied chickens and the like.

All above looks good.  Just picked up a corned beef brisket flat which I will coat in a pepper rub and smoke...fake pastrami, but its still fantastic!

I was wondering when you were going to make your way over here, nic.  Cheers!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 10:57:42 am »

Yeah Nick...I just broke in the Weber 22.5" Gold One Touch this past weekend. I grilled your typical burgers and dogs...but I also grilled a spatchcocked chicken that was marinated in Pride of the Deer CampBBQ (complements of Jeff Smith) and used my standard dry rub. I indirect grilled the chicken. It turned out fantastic.
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 12:08:25 pm »
Yeah, I used to direct grill spatchcocked chickens (lid on), I guess sort of "living dangerously" as it were.  They tended to come out pretty well and had that unique direct grilled taste.  However, I have become more moderate of late and am indirect grilling them, they come out better I think that way.

Next up...spatchcocked partially deboned turkey!  That should be a nice challenge.  Not sure whether I should do that on the WSM or the kettle.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 12:11:57 pm »
Yeah, I used to direct grill spatchcocked chickens (lid on), I guess sort of "living dangerously" as it were.  They tended to come out pretty well and had that unique direct grilled taste.  However, I have become more moderate of late and am indirect grilling them, they come out better I think that way.

Next up...spatchcocked partially deboned turkey!  That should be a nice challenge.  Not sure whether I should do that on the WSM or the kettle.

I say WSM for the turkey. Smoked turkey is awesome...or if you prefer the kettle...I would use your smokenator.  8)
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 08:13:37 am »
Mmmmmmmmmm!  BBQ and beer!  What else needs to be said? ;D
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 09:23:36 am »
There's a BBQ joint in Syracuse, NY that I've performed at some years ago called Dinosaur BBQ.

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/

They make some of the best Q north of the Mason-Dixon line and their ribs are top notch.

They also make a BBQ sauce that is out of this world.

You can actually order it from their website.

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/browseProducts.php?cat=1

The line is always out the door.

So...if you are ever up in New York State...near Syracuse...stop in and have some of the best BBQ New York has to offer while washing it down with some beer and listening to some great blues!  8)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:01:54 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 03:42:48 pm »
We usually do a huge smokey BBQ feast around Xmas. We do it to get together with the fam. and friends that will be out of town for Xmas.

Sort of a high winter thing.

Ill be sure to get some pics on here.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 05:40:11 am »
Beer is a great addition to a BBQ marinade or sauce, but the one flavor that I really love in a BBQ mop sauce is Jack Daniels. I'll add it to my basic BBQ sauce. It has a flavor that lends itself well to smokey Q. Here's another southern recipe.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/bbqsaucemarinade/r/blbb227.htm
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 08:27:23 pm »
This is how one should not light a bbq grill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeRB1p9PVDY&feature=related
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 07:00:32 am »
Grilled Romaine (i used a Big Green Egg, but you can sub any other cooker)

Ingredients:
2 Romaine Hearts
Olive oil
Parmesian Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Italian Seasoning

Instructions:

Cut the Romaine Hearts down the middle. Pull off any loose external leaves. You want a small tight bunch. Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with fresh parmesian cheese. Push some cheese into the folds of the leaves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and whatever spices you like. Put into the fridge to keep these nice and cold. Take out at the last minute.
After grilling your meat, steak, etc., crank up the heat and flames in your Green Egg. Put the Romaine Hearts face up on the grill for 2 minutes, then flip over for a few minutes. It will make your grill a bit messy, so leave the heat up to burn off that cheese.

Serve immediately. I dont add any extra dressing, but a bit of Italian or Remolaude dressing is nice.

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 07:00:40 am »
Balsamic Grilled Pork Chops

Description: Serves 2 or more, depending on the meat selection you make. This recipes marinade is good for Chops or tenderloins (whole) or medallions.

Ingredients:

1 Cup EVOO
Cup Basil (chopped fresh if you have it)
Cup Parsley (chopped fresh if you have it)
5 Large Garlic Cloves (minced)
1/3 Cup Balsamic Vinegar (to taste and size of meat portions)

Instructions:

1. Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl and pour over Chops in a shallow square pan or substitute a 1 gallon freezer bag and mix/shake.
2. Place in refrigerator for 4 hours minimum and turn occasionally.
3. Remove chops from marinade and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes (discard remaining marinade).
4. While the chops are coming up to room temperature fire up the Big Green Egg and bring to a stabilized temperature of about 350 degrees.
5. Place chops directly on the grill for approximately 6 minutes per side (lid down and no peeking).
6. When internal temperature reaches 150 degrees remove from grill and let stand for at least 5 minutes before serving.

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 07:02:28 am »
Grilled Potato's

Ingredients:

5 Medium Potato's thinly sliced
1 Medium Onion..(I used Vidalia) sliced
6 Tbs butter or margarine
1/3 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbs fresh minced parsley
1 Tbs Worchestershire sauce
1/3 Cup Chicken broth
Salt and pepper added later to taste.

Instructions:

Place the potato and onion in a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil about 20 x 20 inchs, and dot with butter.
Combine the cheese and parsley,Worchestershire sauce,salt, and pepper, and sprinkle over potato's. Fold foil upward around the tater's and add broth. Seal the edges of the foil well.
Grill, covered, over medium heat (250-300 in the BGE) for 25-40 minutes or untill the potato's are tender.

Yield is 4 to 6 servings.

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 07:05:28 am »
(ok, this isn't que, but it's one of my favorite recipes of all time)

eggplant slices, tomatoes and mozzarella (aka THA BOMB)

Ingredients:

2 or 3 medium round eggplants
flour for dredging
4 round tomatoes, sliced
2 anchovy fillets, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
sliced mozzarella
1/2 cup basil, chopped
vegetable oil
olive oil
1 teaspoon white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions: slice eggplants. dredge eggplant slices in flour and fry in plenty of vegetable oil. do not allow to get too crisp. remove eggplant slices from oil and place on paper towel to drain.

oil a baking dish and place in 1 slice of eggplant at a time. on each slice of eggplant place a slice of tomato and a thin slice of mozzarella. place the next slice of eggplant halfway over the previous slice and continue until the bottom of the dish is covered. the eggplant should be so staggered that half of the previous slice is exposed. bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.

in a saucepan heat 1/2 cup olive oil. add finely chopped anchovies, garlic, basil, vinegar, salt and pepper. stir well to dissolve anchovies. remove from heat.

remove eggplant slices frmo the oven and immediately pour on sauce. allow to cool slightly. eggplant may also be served cold.

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 07:06:54 am »
Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABT's)

INGREDIENTS:
12 3-3 1/2 Inch Jalapenos - fresh
1 8 Ozs Pkg. Cream Cheese
12 Ozs. Bacon (regular sliced-NOT thick sliced)
1 Package Smoked Cocktail Wieners (Lil' Smokeys)  (you can substitute any meat here )
Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub  (or your favorite seasoning)
Wood Chunks (Apple, Hickory, or Guava Wood work well)

Procedure:
1 Wash, remove stems and halve jalapenos lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut
2 the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. If the jalapenos are pretty fresh. you can
3 pull the stems off fairly easy. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would
4 like a hotter ABT).
5 Fill jalapeno halves with cream cheese, then top with a cocktail wiener. Put the two
6 halves together and wrap the whole thing with a piece of bacon. Secure each end of
7 the bacon with a toothpick.
8 Sprinkle a liberal amount of DP Red Eye Express rub all over the surface of the
9 bacon.
10 Stabilize grill at 350°.
11 Place a drip pan on regular grid to catch the drippings.
12 Put 2-3 chunks of wood on the coals and place ABT’s on the raised grid.
13 Cook about 45 minutes, then turn them over to crisp up bottom side of bacon, and
14 cook for an additional 15 minutes.
15 Allow to cool several minutes before serving.

photos borrowed from "rick's tropical delight".  thanks rick.

AHA# 196703