Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462709 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #780 on: December 16, 2010, 10:48:11 am »
Now we just need some rye bread, sauerkraut and mustard. Or Russian dressing.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #781 on: December 21, 2010, 06:34:19 pm »
Drool...that looks like some nice brisket!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #782 on: December 21, 2010, 10:05:07 pm »
Looks okay, but where is the smoke ring?

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #783 on: December 22, 2010, 07:34:46 am »

Just inside the edges of the dry rub?  I dunno, I can see it.  Also remember this was only smoked for 4.5 hours, I get a more pronounced smoke ring when I am smoking regular brisket for 12-15 hours.

You typically only get those ridiculously thick, bright red smoke rings if your fuel source is wood (most smokers just use wood for flavour), or you are adding enhancers.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #784 on: December 22, 2010, 07:38:22 am »

Just inside the edges of the dry rub?  I dunno, I can see it.  Also remember this was only smoked for 4.5 hours, I get a more pronounced smoke ring when I am smoking regular brisket for 12-15 hours.

You typically only get those ridiculously thick, bright red smoke rings if your fuel source is wood (most smokers just use wood for flavour), or you are adding enhancers.

A good smoke ring is around 1/4 inch in thickness. The smoke rings is caused by nitric acid building up in the surface of meat, absorbed from the surface. This nitric acid is formed when nitrogen dioxide from wood combustion in smoke mixes with water in the meat. Basically it is a chemical reaction between the smoke and the meat.
Ron Price

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #785 on: December 22, 2010, 07:49:50 am »
A good smoke ring is around 1/4 inch in thickness. The smoke rings is caused by nitric acid building up in the surface of meat, absorbed from the surface. This nitric acid is formed when nitrogen dioxide from wood combustion in smoke mixes with water in the meat. Basically it is a chemical reaction between the smoke and the meat.

Exactly, and you will get much less NO2 when the wood is just smoldering, as opposed to being the heat source.  As you say the other variable is moisture, so you can try using "green" wood, soaking it before using, or using a water pan.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #786 on: December 29, 2010, 03:34:35 am »
Here's a new commercial (in French) for Windows 7. This is why I only use Mac or Ubuntu.

http://www.microsoft.com/france/windows/windows-7/videos.aspx?vindex=26

--
Translation (rough in some parts, because he's talking way too fast):

"Hi, I'm Fred. I've got an American cousin. Here, it's cool. But... The food is not my thing.
So, I have an idea. I'll use my PC to show them "True French Gastronomy" from France, here in Texas.
"This is the food!"
"Ugh."
--

Hrm. Ribs, or escargot? I like me some parsley garlic butter, but I think I'll take ribs any day.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #787 on: December 29, 2010, 09:47:53 am »
some recent stuff.....

firewire kabobs

flank steak

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #788 on: December 29, 2010, 10:01:45 am »
Just in time for me to eat lunch!  :D

Great Lookin' Q as always... 8)
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #789 on: January 02, 2011, 02:24:52 pm »
fatty stuffed w, chorizo

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #790 on: January 02, 2011, 08:10:44 pm »
fatty stuffed w, chorizo

You would make Emeril Lagasse proud.

Sounds great!  8)

I grilled two marinated pork tenderloins seasoned with Dizzy Dust direct on the Weber kettle last night. No pics but they were heavenly.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:13:19 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #791 on: January 02, 2011, 09:34:56 pm »
fatty stuffed w, chorizo

I did one with chorizo. Had a pan under the grate and there was probably half a quart of orange fat rendered off the fattie.

But it was good.  Yours looks crazy with that red chorizo in there.   
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #792 on: January 05, 2011, 11:33:58 pm »
They guys at work are all up into the BBQ thang now. Taking pics of their Q and everything. Oh I feel like a proud parent!

The other day one showed me this link: http://www.looftlighter.com/ and I was impressed.  However I got one of these already: http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=00927801000P.

Have to say 1050F will light some charcoal in a hurry. Had it going in less than a minute.

Goodbye rusty old starter chimney.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #793 on: January 06, 2011, 06:29:58 am »
Have to say 1050F will light some charcoal in a hurry. Had it going in less than a minute.

Did you just start doing this? I have a heat gun sitting in the garage... I'll have to give it a try.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #794 on: January 06, 2011, 07:45:43 am »
They guys at work are all up into the BBQ thang now. Taking pics of their Q and everything. Oh I feel like a proud parent!

The other day one showed me this link: http://www.looftlighter.com/ and I was impressed.  However I got one of these already: http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=00927801000P.

i switched to a bernzomatic mapp gas torch to light my grill.  i really like it, although some lump can be pretty sparkly and poppy.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/TORCHES/PROFESSIONALTORCHES/tabid/230/ctl/Detail/mid/1009/xmid/6942/xmfid/3/Default.aspx

oh yeah, i wear pit mitts and safety goggles and a hat when i light the grill.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:49:30 am by deepsouth »

AHA# 196703