Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Odd Ways You Never Thought to Make Money  (Read 6588 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Odd Ways You Never Thought to Make Money
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:48:19 am »
Sitting here, I sometimes feel like I've been living the typical American middle class life - you know, get born, go to school, go to college, get that job, work hard at it and move up through the ranks, get married, have a kid, yada yada yada.

But one of the things that fascinates me is the various surprising things people make into the "job" that makes them more than just a salaryman's dues, like the guy who built up the company that does porto-potties in your area.

In that vein what are some odd ones that surprised you to find out "people can make a living doing that?"

Here's my example - these guys "Two Steps from Hell" - their job? They make music exclusively for video games and movie trailers. Odds are good you've heard them and never known it. (And none of their music is released to the public either - although that should be changing soon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdhFVzqt4&feature=related (Used most recently in the Mass Effect 2 trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xjdzVbe-H8 (last year's Star Trek trailers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjlBCAx6330&NR=1 (Played with New Moon trailers)

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Odd Ways You Never Thought to Make Money
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:57:52 am »
How about starting an organization dedicated to Homebrewers?

:)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:15:16 am »
They make music exclusively for video games and movie trailers.

I've been doing something similar for nearly 30 years....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:19:40 pm »
I'm paid to get yelled at.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:16:51 am »
When I tell people what I do they go: "Whaat...?! Oh..." Then the eyes glaze over...

That music was very uplifting! Thank-you for introducing it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:31:47 am »
What do you do?  Work at the DMV?   ;)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 09:24:22 am »
What do you do?  Work at the DMV?   ;)

Mikey, if I were you I'd be applying for jobs everyday at Left Hand brewery!

Denny, I find it hard to believe you made an actual living PLAYING music the last 30 years.  Producing and running a studio, sure.  But touring and writing records doesn't give you a good income unless you're the freakin' Rolling Stones or something...
I haven't given up on trying to make it in the music biz, but I'm definitely not going to play something I don't enjoy playing to get there.  If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen in the style of music I want to play.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:37:07 am »
Denny, I find it hard to believe you made an actual living PLAYING music the last 30 years.  Producing and running a studio, sure.  But touring and writing records doesn't give you a good income unless you're the freakin' Rolling Stones or something...
I haven't given up on trying to make it in the music biz, but I'm definitely not going to play something I don't enjoy playing to get there.  If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen in the style of music I want to play.

No touring for me....I've been there and done that and got too many T shirts!  That was why I opened the studio.  We've done post production and custom music, kinda like Drew mentioned in the OP.  After 28 years, we're in the process of selling off the equipment and closing it down.  Good luck to you...I see you're as idealistic about music as you are about beer.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 04:31:58 pm »
What do you do?  Work at the DMV?   ;)

Nope, my operation can run 24/7, 9-5 yelling would be just fine  :)

I work for an airline.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:52:53 pm »

I build these.
(I know, I know...they freak some people out, but a couple guys are making a pretty good living using them.)

AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 09:38:41 am »
WAY COOL, Prof!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:10:01 am »
"disco donnie" promotes dj dance parties all over the united states.  he started out throwing "raves" in new orleans and has even had a movie made about him: "rise: rave outlaw disco donnie".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756337/

think this doesn't pay well? 

http://findtheunknownwhodat.com/?212cd4a0

Donnie Estopinal for providing airline tickets to the Saints vs Cowgirls game this Saturday...and for a full travel package, including tickets, to the SUPERBOWL!

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 12:29:33 pm »

No touring for me....I've been there and done that and got too many T shirts!  That was why I opened the studio.  We've done post production and custom music, kinda like Drew mentioned in the OP.  After 28 years, we're in the process of selling off the equipment and closing it down.  Good luck to you...I see you're as idealistic about music as you are about beer.

I guess I am pretty idealistic huh?  What do you plan to do once you've got all that stuff sold and taken care off?  Retire, travel, brew?
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 01:23:30 pm »
I guess I am pretty idealistic huh?  What do you plan to do once you've got all that stuff sold and taken care off?  Retire, travel, brew?

I still work as the head audio engineer at a large performing arts center here and I'll keep doing that since it's a union represented city job and I get good benefits.  I hope to finally get started on a book I've been talking to Brewers Publications about.  And hopefully, I won't have to work Saturdays so much any more!

And as someone who's been in the music biz for 45 years, I can tell ya that I admire your idealism, but AFAIAC, luck plays a bigger factor in making it than anything, including talent.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:25:15 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 03:02:57 pm »
I guess I am pretty idealistic huh?  What do you plan to do once you've got all that stuff sold and taken care off?  Retire, travel, brew?

And as someone who's been in the music biz for 45 years, I can tell ya that I admire your idealism, but AFAIAC, luck plays a bigger factor in making it than anything, including talent.
Absolutely.  I think on paper I'm idealistic, but in reality I'm not really.  But it doesn't matter much either way.  I've had a couple opportunities to take my drumming to a professional level and they've pretty much fallen through.  I don't except the opportunities to stop but I also don't expect to make it big as a metal drummer either. 
Yes, you'll hate the music, but here's what I do: http://www.youtube.com/user/EnvenomAscension?feature=mhw4
Jesse