Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cooler for all grain  (Read 9108 times)

Offline jrp5u

• 1st Kit
Cooler for all grain
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:35:15 am »
Does anybody have any recommendations for type of cooler and size to get? Preference on vertical or horizontal?

Thanks!

Offline tallcall

• 1st Kit
Re: Cooler for all grain
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:49:25 am »
BLUE  :)  I have a 70qt Coleman Extreme and love it.

Offline aveteto01

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:51:21 am »

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:54:56 am »
70 qt BLUE Coleman

Here's the website I used to set mine up years ago.

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

narvin

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 09:22:52 am »
The rectangular coolers are much more economical.  Coleman has sizes from 52 qt all the way up to 150 qt that can fit most any homebrew batch size.  You can build a manifold if you want to fly sparge in one, but I suggest starting out with batch sparging since it's an easier build.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:41:47 am »
I have a two gallon cooler I use for most of my three gallon and smaller batches. I have a round ten gallon cooler for bigger batches. I got the ten gallon cooler because people kept saying I would want to be able to brew bigger and bigger batches. I didn't. It's fine that I have the capacity to mash a large batch but the problem is on smaller batches where the cooler is half full it loses temperature faster than a more full mash tun.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Jon H.

Offline rjberry

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:49:11 am »
I use the Igloo 5-Gallon round cooler.  It's easy to replace the spout with a ball valve and I built a false bottom out of CPVC.  I was really nervous about how flimsy the interior of  some of the rectangular coolers were because I didn't want something that was going to leech out anything toxic during mashing.  The Igloo is BPA free and I haven't had any issues with capacity (even on higher gravity Belgians and Imperials), but if you want more capacity or are running 10-gallon batches Igloo makes a 10-gallon version.
“We’re not here for the game. The game is nothing. The game is crap. The game makes me sick. The real reason we Americans put up with sports is for this: Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise.” - Homer Simpson

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 03:33:07 pm »
BLUE  :)  I have a 70qt Coleman Extreme and love it.
+3
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 09:25:00 am »
The Igloo is BPA free

FWIW, all coolers I know of are made with HDPE and they're all BPA free.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rjberry

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 10:04:38 am »
The Igloo is BPA free

FWIW, all coolers I know of are made with HDPE and they're all BPA free.

I don't doubt that most modern coolers are BPA free (especially the nicer marine & Extreme ones), but some of the cheaper coolers I looked at ($20 range) just seemed super thin and sketchy.  I guess if it isn't a matter of leaching it could affect the temperature regulation.  That's good to know though Denny, because I'm close to upgrading for being able to handle larger batches.
“We’re not here for the game. The game is nothing. The game is crap. The game makes me sick. The real reason we Americans put up with sports is for this: Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise.” - Homer Simpson

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 04:37:12 pm »
I have a two gallon cooler I use for most of my three gallon and smaller batches. I have a round ten gallon cooler for bigger batches. I got the ten gallon cooler because people kept saying I would want to be able to brew bigger and bigger batches. I didn't. It's fine that I have the capacity to mash a large batch but the problem is on smaller batches where the cooler is half full it loses temperature faster than a more full mash tun.

Several months back I moved from a 5-gallon round cooler to a 9-gallon rectangular Coleman Xtreme (blue :-) ) for my small batches, which are generally in the 2.5 - 3.5 gal range. The reason it works is I'm not sparging (part of a general effort to streamline the brewing day, plus I'm liking the results).  But it seems for someone doing typical 5-gallon batches and sparging, 70 qt seems typical.  5-gallon feels like a squeeze.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 06:41:26 am »
I use a 40 quart igloo marine rectangular - with a slight adaptation of the Dennybraid (copper elbow with silicone sleeve and SS dryer lint filter) -  but I made one drastic move to improve my efficiency - my cooler is WHITE!!!  (I know - sacrilege).  I hope my Bo Pils turns out okay.  ;)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 06:58:26 am »
I use a 40 quart igloo marine rectangular - with a slight adaptation of the Dennybraid (copper elbow with silicone sleeve and SS dryer lint filter) -  but I made one drastic move to improve my efficiency - my cooler is WHITE!!!  (I know - sacrilege).  I hope my Bo Pils turns out okay.  ;)

Apparently you didn't enjoy the sack of grain that magically appeared in your blue cooler every 4 or 5 brews.  :P
Frank

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 08:56:04 am »

Apparently you didn't enjoy the sack of grain that magically appeared in your blue cooler every 4 or 5 brews.  :P

Is that what happens with those blue ones?  My LHBS said I should be happy with my efficiency improving from 42% to 51% - hey, it's a majority!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"