Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Racking  (Read 9346 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Racking
« on: September 29, 2013, 06:25:14 pm »
I've been just using my bucket spigot and a hose to rack my beers to the keg. It works but I pay for it by needing to blow out more yeast than I care to from the keg. Back when I was under pitching it was less of a problem.

Anyway, what is the Cadillac racking cane? I have one that works, gave about $12 for it. But I'm thinking of getting a good one. Suggestions?

Offline slarkin712

• Cellarman
Re: Racking
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 06:40:40 pm »
I really like my 1/2" auto siphon, and I know it cost less than $20.  If you are getting a lot of yeast in your kegs try cold crashing your beer before transfer.  Works really well for me.

cornershot

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 07:43:27 pm »
I use a ss racking cane. It will last forever. Pair it with a cleaning brush and move on.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 07:59:34 pm »
I really like my 1/2" auto siphon, and I know it cost less than $20.  If you are getting a lot of yeast in your kegs try cold crashing your beer before transfer.  Works really well for me.
That's the plan for the new additional freezer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 08:00:07 pm »
I use a ss racking cane. It will last forever. Pair it with a cleaning brush and move on.

Brand? Vendor?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:15:10 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 10:33:50 pm »

I have only used a plastic auto siphon for years. It is simple enough to use, but I have always been concerned about how clean it is. I usually just rinse it off and then siphon all the starsan out of my keg to sanitize it. I dont even get any noticeable off flavors or infection type things from it.

Not to hijack the thread but just to add/ask. How do ya'll clean your auto siphons. Also If you are only using a racking cane and not an auto siphon how do you go about starting it?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 11:12:17 pm »
The rack I have must be an auto. Its two piece that acts like a pump. Maybe I'll stick with that till it breaks

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 11:20:55 pm »

I have only used a plastic auto siphon for years. It is simple enough to use, but I have always been concerned about how clean it is. I usually just rinse it off and then siphon all the starsan out of my keg to sanitize it. I dont even get any noticeable off flavors or infection type things from it.

Not to hijack the thread but just to add/ask. How do ya'll clean your auto siphons. Also If you are only using a racking cane and not an auto siphon how do you go about starting it?

I use the autosiphon to "recirculate" the hot PBW solution in my fermenter or kettle when I clean them, and again with hot water when I rinse out the PBW. Then I use it to transfer my star san from the bucket I store it in to my fermenter/bottling bucket/etc. and then back to the storage bucket when It's time to sanitize.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

cornershot

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 04:43:23 am »

To start a non-auto siphon:
I ferment in carboys with a carboy cap which has 2 nipples. The racking cane fits it one nipple, blow in the other nipple to create pressure in the head space and out comes the beer.
Another method is the suck(and swallow, of course) method. You can fit a short piece of tubing in the end of the hose to suck on and to keep your filthy lips off the hose. Just remove the mouth piece when it's started.
You can fill the siphon with water, hold your thumb over the end until everything is in place and let it go.

As far as potential for contamination, the auto siphon has the most parts in contact with the beer and therefore has the greatest potential for contamination and requires the most cleaning. The cane and hose comes in second with only one connection point. But that's easy to take apart and clean. I find it necessary to use a hose clamp to prevent air from getting sucked in at the connection.  A simple hose has the least potential for contamination but it's hard to position the end where you want it without attaching it to a stick or something.

Brand? Vendor?

Any homebrew vendor should carry one. Don't even know if there is a brand.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 07:53:28 am »

I use the autosiphon to "recirculate" the hot PBW solution in my fermenter or kettle when I clean them, and again with hot water when I rinse out the PBW. Then I use it to transfer my star san from the bucket I store it in to my fermenter/bottling bucket/etc. and then back to the storage bucket when It's time to sanitize.

That's my process, too.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 09:34:12 am »
I've only ever used a plastic racking cane in a carboy cap.  I've broken a few over the years, but they are cheap.  I have two stainless ones I've inherited, but never used them.

I start my siphon by pressurizing the carboy.  I don't use glass, only better bottles, so there's no risk of exploding glass.  I don't use much pressure, anyway.  I typically use an aquarium pump with an in-line hepa filter to pressurize but sometimes I'll go ahead and use CO2 at very low pressure.

I like the clear plastic siphon because I can see the level of the beer.

Never started a siphon by sucking on it.  Hated doing it with the tube filled with water.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 09:51:37 am »
I guess I'm old fashioned...I just use a plastic racking cane and a piece of tubing.  No autosiphon, no carboy cap, no pump.  I guess if ti didn't work I'd change, but I've never had a problem using such a simple setup.  I can't imagine why I'd want to do anything more complicated.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

cornershot

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 10:02:18 am »
I guess I'm old fashioned...I just use a plastic racking cane and a piece of tubing.  No autosiphon, no carboy cap, no pump.  I guess if ti didn't work I'd change, but I've never had a problem using such a simple setup.  I can't imagine why I'd want to do anything more complicated.
So you suck?  ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 10:05:13 am »
So you suck?  ;D

Never!  ;)  I use physics....fill the tube and racking cane w/ water and the siphon starts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 10:05:52 am »
no carboy cap

Of course, you're using buckets aren't you?

The pump doesn't actually add anything complicated.  I've found it makes it less so, as I don't have to worry about getting the siphon started.  Siphoning is truly one of those areas I always hated.  Guess I'm bad at physics.

As far as cleaning, I simply sanitize it before and after.  And I hook it up to the bottle washer to jet out anything that might be there.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton