Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malts that add body to beer  (Read 10469 times)

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Malts that add body to beer
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:06:54 am »
I've been wondering, if I need to add some body to my beers, which malts should I try?

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Malts that add body to beer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:09:18 am »
Add body as in mouth-feel or a maltier flavor profile?  Two different animals.
Dave Zach

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:21:24 am »
Sorry, I mean body as in mouth-feel.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:25:33 am »

I'd hope so, since flavor isn't body!

Cara malts work well for body....carapils, carafoam, or ab out any crystal.  The trick will be balancing the body addition against any flavor the malt might add.  Obviously, the lighter the malt, the less flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 09:34:56 am »
Thanks Denny!

If I were making a Pale Ale, and wanted to add some body (because personnally I think it tastes a little thin), would 10% of the grain bill for a crystal or cara-something be a good starting point?  Or should I go higher?

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 09:40:05 am »
I'm not denny, but what was the crystal/cara in the first run of the recipe you made, assuming there was at least some?

might actually help us if you posted all the recipe specifics, at least the grain bill, yeast and mash temp.

10% is a pretty good weight for a crystal/cara malt to get you a medium to full body, if using a moderate mash temp (150-155df).  but we'll know more once you let us in on where you're at currently.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:50:01 am »
I'm not denny, but what was the crystal/cara in the first run of the recipe you made, assuming there was at least some?

might actually help us if you posted all the recipe specifics, at least the grain bill, yeast and mash temp.

10% is a pretty good weight for a crystal/cara malt to get you a medium to full body, if using a moderate mash temp (150-155df).  but we'll know more once you let us in on where you're at currently.

I had no crystal or cara-anything in the original recipe.  It had a 100% base of Marris Otter (10 or 11 lbs, I think).  I used plain old WLP001 yeast and I mashed at 154F for about 60 to 75 minutes IIRC.  I also batch sparge with equal amounts of water.  I forget the exact amounts and times (recipe is in BeerSmith on my computer at home) but I used Columbus for bittering (FWH addition) and then amarillo for flavor.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 09:56:47 am »
Thanks Denny!

If I were making a Pale Ale, and wanted to add some body (because personnally I think it tastes a little thin), would 10% of the grain bill for a crystal or cara-something be a good starting point?  Or should I go higher?

I always use about 10% C60 for APA and AIPA.  If you want something with less impact on flavor, you could try 1/2 lb. of carapils.  Mashing at a higher temp will increase body, but also have an impact on flavor.

Yeast can also have an impact.  One of the reasons I like WY1450 so much is the silky mouthfeel it leaves in the beer.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 09:57:08 am »

I'd hope so, since flavor isn't body!

Cara malts work well for body....carapils, carafoam, or ab out any crystal.  The trick will be balancing the body addition against any flavor the malt might add.  Obviously, the lighter the malt, the less flavor.

Exactly.  Seems you mashed at a good temp, could even go a little higher. 
Dave Zach

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 10:27:08 am »
I use about 20% Munich malt and 10% Crystal (usually 40-45L) in my IPA's.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 10:44:27 am »

Do you think the Munich does much for body?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 10:46:10 am »

I like this idea Jeff...maybe I'll give it a try.
Ron Price

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:48:17 am »
I always use about 10% C60 for APA and AIPA.  If you want something with less impact on flavor, you could try 1/2 lb. of carapils.  Mashing at a higher temp will increase body, but also have an impact on flavor.

Yeast can also have an impact.  One of the reasons I like WY1450 so much is the silky mouthfeel it leaves in the beer.

So many ways to skin a cat!

10% crystal/caramel malt will add body, but it will also have a significant impact on flavor (even the lighter varieties). If you go this route, go light if you're shooting for the "west coast style" (carapils, C10, etc).

Other things you can try:

1. You can increase mash temp. Try the upper end (158F) next time and work your way down if the result is too full/sweet. A 100% Maris Otter grist is a great place to start in a deliciously simple hoppy beer.

2. Add a touch of flaked wheat or oats (3-5%). I like Golden Naked Oats (which are malted, available from NB) instead of the regular flaked stuff.

3. Increase the amount of Chloride in your water. This will also have an impact on hop expression and bitterness, but it will enhance the perception of body without increasing residual sweetness or reducing fermentability.

Make one small change per brew, omitting the change in the next brew if it doesn't get you closer to your target.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 10:50:46 am »

So many ways to skin a cat!

10% crystal/caramel malt will add body, but it will also have a significant impact on flavor (even the lighter varieties). If you go this route, go light if you're shooting for the "west coast style" (carapils, C10, etc).

Other things you can try:

1. You can increase mash temp. Try the upper end (158F) next time and work your way down if the result is too full/sweet. A 100% Maris Otter grist is a great place to start in a deliciously simple hoppy beer.

2. Add a touch of flaked wheat or oats (3-5%). I like Golden Naked Oats (which are malted, available from NB) instead of the regular flaked stuff.

3. Increase the amount of Chloride in your water. This will also have an impact on hop expression and bitterness, but it will enhance the perception of body without increasing residual sweetness or reducing fermentability.

Make one small change per brew, omitting the change in the next brew if it doesn't get you closer to your target.

Don't want to go off topic but I have a quick question. I have seen Golden Naked Oats desribed as a "crystal" huskless oat. It it really a type of crystal malt?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 10:56:24 am »

I like this idea Jeff...maybe I'll give it a try.

ever try an all Munich AIPA?

www.dennybrew.com