Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423689 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #1155 on: May 19, 2016, 10:01:09 am »
Mashed in my German Helles Exportbier. I will be using my 2352 propogated from a slant (first attempt at this, so far so good). Second brew today is a summer pils with Sorachi Ace and Crystal.

Ignored these for 21 days. The GHE finished at 1.011 as expected. The summer pils finished at 1.005! That was 90% best pils and 10% carahell mashed at 148f for 90. Don't fear the carahell!

Just dry hopped the summer pils, crash regimen begins in a couple days. Keg them up Tuesday
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:43:55 am by klickitat jim »

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1156 on: May 19, 2016, 10:01:15 am »
2-row with up to 8% carared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1157 on: May 19, 2016, 03:59:46 pm »
Bavarian hefeweizen on Saturday morning. I usually do one sooner as right about now is when I want to start drinking that style.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1158 on: May 19, 2016, 07:35:39 pm »
No brewing this weekend. Did keg a kolsch after emptying a pretty good keg of helles. Now comes some cold conditioning and fining to clear out the 2565. 
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #1159 on: May 19, 2016, 08:09:56 pm »
I'm taking tomorrow (Friday) off for a brew day then tending to the garden, orchard, and hop yard over the weekend proper.
Tomorrow's plan: brew an American IPA, nap, go to Treehouse Brewing and buy as much as they let me, have a nice dinner out with my girlfriend, come home and try a beer or two and chill.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1160 on: May 20, 2016, 03:34:01 am »
I'm taking tomorrow (Friday) off for a brew day then tending to the garden, orchard, and hop yard over the weekend proper.
Tomorrow's plan: brew an American IPA, nap, go to Treehouse Brewing and buy as much as they let me, have a nice dinner out with my girlfriend, come home and try a beer or two and chill.

That sounds like a pretty damn good weekend
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #1161 on: May 20, 2016, 07:10:52 am »

That sounds like a pretty damn good weekend
Yep. Add to that the fact that I picked a great day to play hooky: sunny and 75 degrees. We're going for a hike after I brew, before the nap. Putting supers on the hive today too.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #1162 on: May 20, 2016, 08:19:13 am »
Haven't brewed a relatively higher gravity beer in a while so I am trying to squeeze in a Kottbusser inspired beer fashioned after Grimm Brothers Snow Drop.

48.1% Pilsner
38.4% Wheat
7.7% Flaked Oats
3.9% Honey
1.3% Molasses

K97
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1163 on: May 20, 2016, 08:58:27 am »
Haven't brewed a relatively higher gravity beer in a while so I am trying to squeeze in a Kottbusser inspired beer fashioned after Grimm Brothers Snow Drop.

48.1% Pilsner
38.4% Wheat
7.7% Flaked Oats
3.9% Honey
1.3% Molasses

K97
I finally came to the conclusion I don't like K97 at least not for beers that need to be clean flavored. I made a blonde ale with k97 that had a mild spicy phenolic flavor that really came through after a couple weeks lagering in the keg. I concluded that spicy taste would be fine for wheat beers and maybe other more complex brews, but, the blonde didn't have any other dominate flavor ingredient so  the spice/phenol was the dominate flavor.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #1164 on: May 20, 2016, 09:04:05 am »

48.1% Pilsner
38.4% Wheat
7.7% Flaked Oats
3.9% Honey
1.3% Molasses

K97
I finally came to the conclusion I don't like K97 at least not for beers that need to be clean flavored. I made a blonde ale with k97 that had a mild spicy phenolic flavor that really came through after a couple weeks lagering in the keg. I concluded that spicy taste would be fine for wheat beers and maybe other more complex brews, but, the blonde didn't have any other dominate flavor ingredient so  the spice/phenol was the dominate flavor.

Interesting. I haven't noticed that yet but have not really tried it in cleaner beer styles. In the beers I have used it in I couldn't detect much of a difference between it and US05 other than maybe a bit more mouthfeel since it attenuates less for me. What temps do you run it at? I think I am normally around 62F.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #1165 on: May 20, 2016, 09:16:50 am »
2 3.5g batches planned for Saturday: first is a dortmunder recipe from Hoosierbrew Jon and the second is a Pilsner recipe from Brulosopher. Both will be second pitches of WLP835. Just bottled the first 2 batches with that yesterday: 2 different versions of WortHog's North German Pilsner. Final batches with 835 will be another Pilsner(Bluesman's from the wiki on here), a traditional Bock, and finally a Doppelbock from Denny. No thoughts on the 835 yet, but the samples from first batches were tasty and crystal clear after 18 days total in primary, including a 6 day rest at 65ish.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #1166 on: May 20, 2016, 09:26:29 am »
I brewed back to back batches of German pils this week to test Brewtan B.  The next batch will be #500 and I'm trying to decide when that's gonna happen.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1167 on: May 20, 2016, 09:33:08 am »
I planned a double brew day back in April and only got one brew finished that day. Now I'm sitting on a sealed plastic bag of milled grains for a Kolsch that have been making me feel guilty every time I go to the closet. At this point I think I'll wait for the next Experimental Brewing podcast so I can decide whether the results will alleviate my guilt or suggest that I toss the bag and buy new grains.

On the upside, this mistake did finally prompt me to put a paper calendar in my brewing binder and pencil in the schedule. I was doing this on the computer before, but for me there's something about a paper-based calendar that is so much more effective for long-term planning.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1168 on: May 20, 2016, 09:34:36 am »
2 3.5g batches planned for Saturday: first is a dortmunder recipe from Hoosierbrew Jon and the second is a Pilsner recipe from Brulosopher. Both will be second pitches of WLP835. Just bottled the first 2 batches with that yesterday: 2 different versions of WortHog's North German Pilsner. Final batches with 835 will be another Pilsner(Bluesman's from the wiki on here), a traditional Bock, and finally a Doppelbock from Denny. No thoughts on the 835 yet, but the samples from first batches were tasty and crystal clear after 18 days total in primary, including a 6 day rest at 65ish.

Sounds good, Frank. Curious to see how you like the Dort!
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #1169 on: May 20, 2016, 09:50:24 am »
I'll be sure to let you know Jon. As far as the double brew day, this will be my second attempt. For this day, I hope to have 2 mash tuns set up and functioning, last time it was with just one tun and really stretched out my brew day. With these smaller batches, only 3.5 gallons into the fermenter, I am trying to add more variety to my brewing and experiment with some new styles. Fingers crossed that tomorrow goes better than the last double brew day
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)