Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423512 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2014, 03:05:52 pm »
Denny that is one great recipe and beer!  (was the basis for my solera + cherry)
oh and your Burbon BBl porter rocks as well.  did you ever check out that john mclaughlin music?

Ya know, I totally spaced the McLaughlin!

Now you're going back.  John McLaughlin + Mahavishnu Orchestra totally spaced me!

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2014, 03:07:59 pm »
check the new stuff....!!!  "remember shakti"
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2014, 08:42:45 am »
Well after the Lambic .....I had a starter of White Labs 545 and decided to do a SGB thing....
forgot to take the O.G.   oh well It may make beer.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2014, 09:39:10 am »

Keith?!?!  Please pass his info. I'd much rather support locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's majorvices here on the forum.  He runs the Yellowhammer Brewery there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2014, 09:50:03 am »

Thanks!
Keith?!?!  Please pass his info. I'd much rather support locally.

He's majorvices here on the forum.  He runs the Yellowhammer Brewery there.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2014, 09:32:12 pm »
For the 4th, I brewed 5 gallons if IPA with my dad. He brewed an extract batch last yer on July 5th and this was his first glimpse at AG. I spent too much time telling him what I was doing, and not enough paying attention to my notes and beersmith recipe print out. I freaked out as boil began, when my OG 1.060 wort was only 1.049, so I added DME per the gravity adjustment tool to get to the 1.060. I realized after we pitched and I checked my notes that my estimated pre-boil gravity was supposed to be, you guessed it, 1.049. Lesson learned: pay attention to the recipe and brew steps that you take the time to print out! It will be better next time!

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:35:06 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2014, 03:27:41 pm »
Tomorrow, I will be brewing a clone of Switchback Ale from March/April issue of BYO. Subbed out the 2 carastan malts for crystal 20&40. Specs below:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Switchback Ale Clone test v1.3 with Denny subs&adjustments
Brewer: Frank Laske
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.61 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.46 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 13.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         

7 lbs 8.6 oz          Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         11       82.1 %       
15.0 oz               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         12       10.2 %       
9.3 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)    Grain         13       6.3 %         
2.0 oz                Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)          Grain         14       1.4 %         
0.50 oz               Simcoe [11.55 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           15       23.6 IBUs     
1.00 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins)              Fining        16       -             
1.00 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)          Other         17       -             
0.40 oz               Hallertau [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min        Hop           18       1.5 IBUs     
0.40 oz               Saaz [2.15 %] - Boil 5.0 min             Hop           19       0.7 IBUs     
0.40 oz               Sterling [6.66 %] - Boil 5.0 min         Hop           20       2.2 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         21       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 3.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 17.00 qt of water at 165.8 F        154.0 F       60 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.28gal, 3.43gal) of 168.0 F water
Hope everyone enjoys the weekend and happy brewing

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2014, 04:58:38 am »
I'm brewing a pumpkin saison today that I am going to ferment on the yeast cake from a clone of Perrenial's Hommel Bier.  This will be my first attempt at fermenting on a cake from another batch.  The yeast is the wyeast 3724 belgian saison.  The Hommel bier has been chugging away for 7 days and I will rack and dry hop it for another week.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2014, 06:26:00 am »
I'm brewing a pumpkin saison today that I am going to ferment on the yeast cake from a clone of Perrenial's Hommel Bier.  This will be my first attempt at fermenting on a cake from another batch.  The yeast is the wyeast 3724 belgian saison.  The Hommel bier has been chugging away for 7 days and I will rack and dry hop it for another week.
I'd be afraid of your first beer stalling out if you rack it this soon. Even if I'm reusing the yeast cake I never rack a beer out of primary until it hits FG.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2014, 07:28:26 am »
I'd be afraid of your first beer stalling out if you rack it this soon. Even if I'm reusing the yeast cake I never rack a beer out of primary until it hits FG.
I was going by the fermentation schedule the brewmaster from Perennial suggested in Craft Beer & Brewing magazine.  I guess I could dry hop the primary today and brew the pumpkin next weekend.  I've read that the 3724 can be a little finicky.

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2014, 05:46:56 pm »
I was going by the fermentation schedule the brewmaster from Perennial suggested in Craft Beer & Brewing magazine.  I guess I could dry hop the primary today and brew the pumpkin next weekend.  I've read that the 3724 can be a little finicky.
I checked the gravity of the Hommel bier and it was only at 1.034 from 1.053.  I just left it alone.  Will dry hop next weekend and hopefully brew something else while waiting on it.  Probably a rye IPA next weekend.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2014, 04:36:59 am »
I'm going to brew the first recipe I've put together on my own as an extract with specialty grains.

Mutant Munich Ale

Munich Malt Syrup 75%
Caramunich III 12%
Breiss Munich 10L 6 %
Carapils 6%

Fuggles for bittering and Tettnag for aroma

Your comments please.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2014, 06:01:43 am »

I'm going to brew the first recipe I've put together on my own as an extract with specialty grains.

Mutant Munich Ale

Munich Malt Syrup 75%
Caramunich III 12%
Breiss Munich 10L 6 %
Carapils 6%

Fuggles for bittering and Tettnag for aroma

Your comments please.

I would ditch the Carapils in an extract beer. Halve, maybe quarter, the Caramunich III. Don't bother with the Munich grain. You won't get much of anything out of it since it is a base grain that requires mashing.

Hops are fine. I like the bittering from fuggle.

What is your goal with this beer?

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2014, 02:31:29 am »
I'm trying to make something similar to an Oktoberfest lager, but don't have the capability of fermenting at lager temperatures.  So I'm trying to put together an ale with a grain bill that's similar and see how it turns out.

I also don't like too much hops in my brew.

When you say don't bother with the Munich grain, steeping it in a grain bag for a while won't accomplish anything?

What other changes would you recommend?
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2014, 05:26:47 am »
I'm trying to make something similar to an Oktoberfest lager, but don't have the capability of fermenting at lager temperatures.  So I'm trying to put together an ale with a grain bill that's similar and see how it turns out.

I also don't like too much hops in my brew.

When you say don't bother with the Munich grain, steeping it in a grain bag for a while won't accomplish anything?

What other changes would you recommend?
Munich will convert itself, it does not have excess enzymes, so "steep" it in 1.5 qt. water/lb grain at about 155-158F for 45 min. to an hour. You will have converted the starches then. Oh, and you then can say you did a mini-mash, a step towards all grain brewing. Have fun.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!