Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423765 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #1215 on: June 04, 2016, 07:20:39 pm »
Doesn't hurt to read, but the final pH may end up perfectly fine

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1216 on: June 04, 2016, 07:28:30 pm »
Good news is now I have a quality ph meter so I can measure the finish ph.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1217 on: June 04, 2016, 07:49:33 pm »
Just brewed my first ever Helles.

1049 OG, 3 gallon batch
100% Weyermann Pils
17 IBU Liberty @ 60
WLP838
Water: 55ppm Ca from CaCL
1.25 ml Lactic 88% to mash

2 problems:
1. RO water from Glacier measured 87ppm! I used it anyway.

2. Ph measured 5.65 (Brunwater predicted 5.33)! I have a brand new Thermoworks 8689. Could be user error. But, I did calibrate right before measuring so I don't think so.

I may have to read through Jim's post on adjusting Ph after fermentation.
Interesting... I am curious what would have caused the large difference. And 100% pils malt, that is going to be a very light beer. I like my helles to be around 4 SRM...that one will probably be around 3 SRM... I know, big deal right? But, it might make more difference than you think. Doesn't matter anyway, it'll be a nice beer. But yeah, you may have to futz with the post fermentation pH. I've been adding acid to the kettle for my lagers, especially lighter lagers. I feel it's made a big difference in the finished beer. No more sweet finishing lagers (even though they finish at a low FG).
Jesse

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1218 on: June 04, 2016, 08:10:23 pm »

1049 OG, 3 gallon batch
100% Weyermann Pils
17 IBU Liberty @ 60
WLP838

2 problems:

2. Ph measured 5.65 (Brunwater predicted 5.33)! I have a brand new Thermoworks 8689. Could be user error. But, I did calibrate right before measuring so I don't think so.

Interesting... I am curious what would have caused the large difference. And 100% pils malt, that is going to be a very light beer. I like my helles to be around 4 SRM...that one will probably be around 3 SRM... I know, big deal right? But, it might make more difference than you think. Doesn't matter anyway, it'll be a nice beer. But yeah, you may have to futz with the post fermentation pH. I've been adding acid to the kettle for my lagers, especially lighter lagers. I feel it's made a big difference in the finished beer. No more sweet finishing lagers (even though they finish at a low FG).
I double checked with Brewer's friend. It predicts 5.65 ph when I put the water source as 87 ppm bicarbonate (swag from RO water TDS measurement). Maybe I am doing something wrong in Brunwater.

Regarding the 100% Pils malt: since this is my first Helles I thought I would start there. I bought ingredients for 2 Helles. The next one will have 20% Kolsch malt.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1219 on: June 04, 2016, 08:23:27 pm »
It predicts 5.65 ph when I put the water source as 87 ppm bicarbonate (swag from RO water TDS measurement). Maybe I am doing something wrong in Brunwater.

I don't enter my TDS value as bicarbonate, Tommy. I think that definitely threw the predicted number off. TDS can include calcium, sodium, magnesium, bicarbonate, chlorides and sulfates. Definitely wouldn't be all bicarbonate. I don't add any extra values other than 100% RO, but I look until I find places with sub 25ppm water. As for the pH reading, I assume you cooled the sample to room temp? Sorry for the dumb question.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #1220 on: June 04, 2016, 08:26:04 pm »
It predicts 5.65 ph when I put the water source as 87 ppm bicarbonate (swag from RO water TDS measurement). Maybe I am doing something wrong in Brunwater.

I don't enter my TDS value as bicarbonate, Tommy. I think that definitely threw the predicted number off. TDS can include calcium, sodium, magnesium, bicarbonate, chlorides and sulfates. Definitely wouldn't be all bicarbonate. I don't add any extra values other than 100% RO, but I look until I find places with sub 25ppm water. As for the pH reading, I assume you cooled the sample to room temp? Sorry for the dumb question.
In Brunwater I left the RO water makeup unchanged. I only made that bicarbonate adjustment in Brewersfriend a few minutes as a test to see what that would do.

I did cool the sample. Meter said the sample was 22C.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1221 on: June 04, 2016, 08:35:29 pm »
Ok cool. And being an all pils grist, it would've needed a good acid adjustment. Any chance the acid addition was off? Just trying to understand the pH reading being so high.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1222 on: June 04, 2016, 08:53:37 pm »
Ok cool. And being an all pils grist, it would've needed a good acid adjustment. Any chance the acid addition was off? Just trying to understand the pH reading being so high.
The syringe I have for acids has 0.2ml graduations. I thought my acid amount was right at 1.2ml which is pretty close.

I think the Ph reading was at least partially due to the high TDS.

I hate driving for water. The next closest Glacier machine is like 3 more miles away.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1223 on: June 04, 2016, 09:04:32 pm »
The syringe I have for acids has 0.2ml graduations. I thought my acid amount was right at 1.2ml which is pretty close.

I hate driving for water. The next closest Glacier machine is like 3 more miles away.

Yeah, not a huge fan of driving for it either. I usually combine it with errands I can run in the area of the machines I use. Anyway, Kai's Edelhell recipe is mashed @ 5.55 pH and he drops pH in the kettle to 5.35 pH using 2 ml of lactic, as a rough gauge. Depending on how well you like the beer, you could pour a pint and add some acid until you like it, then scale up an addition to the keg. Keep us posted. Good luck.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1224 on: June 04, 2016, 09:05:15 pm »

Yeah, not a huge fan of driving for it either. I usually combine it with errands I can run in the area of the machines I use. Anyway, Kai's Edelhell recipe is mashed @ 5.55 pH and he drops pH in the kettle to 5.35 pH using 2 ml of lactic, as a rough gauge. Depending on how well you like the beer, you could pour a pint and add some acid until you like it, then scale up an addition to the keg. Keep us posted. Good luck.
Thanks. That's a good idea.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1225 on: June 04, 2016, 09:10:28 pm »
I've been adding 2-3mL of acid to the kettle to drop the pH when I shoot for 5.5 pH in the mash, based on Kai's .5mL per pound of grist (actually been using a tad less than that for safety's sake since I don't own a pH meter).
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1226 on: June 04, 2016, 09:16:34 pm »
I've been adding 2-3mL of acid to the kettle to drop the pH when I shoot for 5.5 pH in the mash, based on Kai's .5mL per pound of grist (actually been using a tad less than that for safety's sake since I don't own a pH meter).

I added 2 ml to the helles I did and to the kolsch I've got 'lagering' now. I liked the results on the helles, for sure.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1227 on: June 06, 2016, 06:16:48 pm »

1049 OG, 3 gallon batch
100% Weyermann Pils
17 IBU Liberty @ 60
WLP838

2 problems:

I double checked with Brewer's friend. It predicts 5.65 ph when I put the water source as 87 ppm bicarbonate (swag from RO water TDS measurement). Maybe I am doing something wrong in Brunwater.

Regarding the 100% Pils malt: since this is my first Helles I thought I would start there. I bought ingredients for 2 Helles. The next one will have 20% Kolsch malt.

My last Helles I brewed earlier this year had 86/14% pils/kolsch malt and it came out fantastic.  Might have even had "it" after about 8 wks in the keg, even with no LODO brewing.    ;)

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1228 on: June 07, 2016, 08:44:07 am »
Got a IIPA on deck for this Friday along with kegging up my blonde ale straight and other half on apricot puree.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1229 on: June 07, 2016, 04:20:26 pm »
jealous of the brewing going on without me  :-[

not likely to brew again until end of july due to travel and family trip to europe.  will start getting lager yeast into production in aug for the fall and winter production.

luckily, still have 20 gals of beer kegged, wine and mead to enjoy!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: