Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423673 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #1350 on: July 30, 2016, 05:45:39 pm »
Cargill's German Saltzgitter pilsner malt for the 1.005 vs. Bestmalz pils for the 1.012.
I bet that contributed some. I get different efficiencies from different malts. So, stands to reason there would be differences in fermentability also.

I could see that, but a 7 point difference with a 1 degree mash temp change?  I just brewed up a german pils using the same Saltzgitter malt as the base so I will see where this one finishes up in another week. Just raising the temps up a bit for the yeast to clean up.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #1351 on: July 30, 2016, 10:10:13 pm »
OK - so I'm a nut case.  I find it inexplicable, but what a difference one day can make.  The beer tastes excellent today.  I must admit that I have had drastic flavor changes from green beer to not-so-green beer in the past when I've been disappointed at first and then ended up a happy camper about IPA's coming around.  Or maybe it's that my taste buds work better on weekends!  Live and learn is my current motto.

I am in a similar position with a hoppy pale leaning toward an IPA that has been in the keg for a week. I keg hopped it and it is very pungent and almost savory in a strange way. The aroma is great and it seems to be getting better over the past couple of days. I am hopeful mine will do the 180 that yours has done in a week or two. I keg hop regularly in smaller amounts and the turning point seems to be about 1-2 weeks.

Hmmm, some savory character?  Did you use summit under 45 minutes?  I've gotten onion/garlic from that.  It's very clean at 60 min.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #1352 on: July 30, 2016, 11:14:07 pm »
Equal amounts of cascade, ahtanum, and comet. I suspect it's the comet but I wouldn't describe it as onion or garlic.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #1353 on: July 31, 2016, 11:35:58 am »
Today I am brewing for the first time since April, the longest lapse in probably 20 years.
Rye APA with the Pekko hops from NHC, Citra at 10 minutes and Citra and Mosaic at 170F while chilling.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #1354 on: July 31, 2016, 11:49:02 am »
Doing my first brew with the Picobrew Pico.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #1355 on: July 31, 2016, 01:10:09 pm »
I brewed a tribute to Spotted Cow Cream Ale yesterday. First time to used flaked corn in a recipe. I normally use all barley. So, I look forward to this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1356 on: July 31, 2016, 02:55:43 pm »
I brewed a tribute to Spotted Cow Cream Ale yesterday. First time to used flaked corn in a recipe. I normally use all barley. So, I look forward to this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really like flaked corn additions in several of my brews (both lagers and ales). It can add a nice, rounded sweetness to the beer while helping it finish out dry.

Brewing up an oktoberfest tomorrow. Should be fun trying to chill the wort down to 48-50F with this hot a** summer we have been having.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1357 on: July 31, 2016, 03:19:26 pm »
I really like flaked corn additions in several of my brews

Yep, gotta have it in cream ale and CAP. And as far as chilling the OFest goes, that pump/ice loop will kill it! Worked wonders on the Ofest and Pils I brewed this month.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1358 on: August 01, 2016, 11:42:29 am »

Yep, gotta have it in cream ale and CAP. And as far as chilling the OFest goes, that pump/ice loop will kill it! Worked wonders on the Ofest and Pils I brewed this month.

Yeah, I got mine working pretty well. We have pretty warm ground water and my sh***y IC is only 3/8 inch by 25 ft. It is just too small for really quick turnaround times. My next big investment has got to be a real manly IC. Maybe the hydra or king cobra by Jaded.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1359 on: August 01, 2016, 11:44:09 am »

Yeah, I got mine working pretty well. We have pretty warm ground water and my sh***y IC is only 3/8 inch by 25 ft. It is just too small for really quick turnaround times. My next big investment has got to be a real manly IC. Maybe the hydra or king cobra by Jaded.

Same here. I'm looking to get a Cobra (for my wide pot) by the end of the year. Between that and the ice loop, that'll shave off some serious time.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1360 on: August 05, 2016, 01:16:19 pm »
Kegged up my Liberty Cream Ale today. Finished right at 1.010 FG. Tasted awesome and crisp. Saved some of the yeast slurry (WY 2565 kolsch) to brew up a classic kolsch in a few days. Kegging a Northern German Pilsner tomorrow too.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1361 on: August 06, 2016, 09:38:44 pm »
I have a black IPA set to go in the morning. It's going to be heavily hopped with chinook with some Columbus, simcoe, and centennial sprinkled in. I basically cleaned some hops out of the freezer with this one. I'm looking forward to drinking it too. I haven't brewed a black IPA in a couple years.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1362 on: August 06, 2016, 10:19:51 pm »
I have a black IPA set to go in the morning. It's going to be heavily hopped with chinook with some Columbus, simcoe, and centennial sprinkled in. I basically cleaned some hops out of the freezer with this one. I'm looking forward to drinking it too. I haven't brewed a black IPA in a couple years.

Sounds great!
Jon H.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1363 on: August 07, 2016, 06:27:12 am »
I pitched the yeast into a Mandarina Bavaria Kolsch this morning.  First time making a kolsch, so it should be interesting. 

8.5lb Pils
0.75lb munich light

1oz Mt Hood @ 60
1oz Mandarina @ 5
1oz Mandarina @ dryhop

Fermented with WY2565. 

I'll need to figure out what the next few brews will be so I can reuse that yeast a couple times.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #1364 on: August 07, 2016, 10:18:55 am »
I actually brewed 3 times last week!  Twice with my Pico and once with the cooler.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell