Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423818 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4140 on: August 05, 2023, 08:48:38 am »
I brewed a Pranqster homage yesterday. It was an experiment to see if my 15 gal system worked for a 6 gal. batch. Also wanted to see how 6-8 year old malt would work. Happy to report it was a success all around.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4141 on: August 05, 2023, 09:22:02 am »
Brewing my yearly saison tomorrow. My first time using cellar science saison yeast.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4142 on: August 06, 2023, 04:29:53 am »
A smash Lager - Rahr 2 row (ok with a quarter pound of acid malt - so not truly a single malt) Magnum hop at FW and 10’.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4143 on: August 06, 2023, 06:13:24 am »
West Coast IPA. Going to add 20% pilsner malt for sh**s & giggles. Also trying WLP001 Dry Yeast for the first time.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4144 on: August 06, 2023, 09:26:04 am »
A smash Lager - Rahr 2 row (ok with a quarter pound of acid malt - so not truly a single malt) Magnum hop at FW and 10’.

only tangential, but i used to use magnum but decided for whatever reason i thought nugget was going to be my default cheap, high AA hop. i ended up buying a lb of it, and even made an all nugget IPA. i think ill be switching back to magnum as my high AA hop. nugget, or at least this one has this tiny krauty herbal taste that isnt exactly pleasant when its really identifiable and it is harsher than i expected it to be in large doses. missing magnum.

West Coast IPA. Going to add 20% pilsner malt for sh**s & giggles. Also trying WLP001 Dry Yeast for the first time.

pilsner should be totally fine, right? i feel like it gets mentally labeled by me as having a certain flavour mainly becuase of what beers its used in, ie. yeast, recipe, hop type affects the perception of "this is a pilsner malt beer" more than the actual grain. am i wrong?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4145 on: August 06, 2023, 10:10:34 am »

Modern WCIPA is often all or mostly pils. Usually with some dextrose. The one Drew and I had brewed for our HBC seminar was pils, a little Vienna and 10% dextrose.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4146 on: August 06, 2023, 10:30:14 am »
I'm half way through the boil of a German style Pils. 10% Wyerman Munich II, 90% Dingmans Pils. German Perle for first wort hops and Saaz (Ted at Hop Heaven sent me 3 free ounces with my last order) for the 15 minute addition. I am going to ferment 5 gallons with S-189 and 5 gallons with Novalager (free packets from Homebrew Con).
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4147 on: August 06, 2023, 10:46:57 am »
Brewing Ken’s Bordertown Dark Lager.

Subbing midnight wheat for Carafa 3 and trying Baja yeast for the first time.

https://kenlenard0.wixsite.com/mayfaircourtbrew/beers

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4148 on: August 06, 2023, 10:56:30 am »

Modern WCIPA is often all or mostly pils. Usually with some dextrose. The one Drew and I had brewed for our HBC seminar was pils, a little Vienna and 10% dextrose.

I wasn't aware. Looking forward to trying this one.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4149 on: August 06, 2023, 11:55:12 am »

Here's a 5 gal recipe for our beer, adapted from the 30 bbl that was brewed...https://wyeastlab.com/resource/denny-kong-wcipa-1217-pc-west-coast-ipa/

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4150 on: August 06, 2023, 01:52:18 pm »

Here's a 5 gal recipe for our beer, adapted from the 30 bbl that was brewed...https://wyeastlab.com/resource/denny-kong-wcipa-1217-pc-west-coast-ipa/

COOL! Thanks for sharing Denny!! I haven't used sugar in any of my IPA recipes and will incorporate some on the next iteration.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4151 on: August 06, 2023, 01:58:55 pm »

COOL! Thanks for sharing Denny!! I haven't used sugar in any of my IPA recipes and will incorporate some on the next iteration.

I've started using a bit in the last few months.  Really improves drinkability.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4152 on: August 07, 2023, 03:52:46 pm »

I've started using a bit in the last few months.  Really improves drinkability.

FWIW, I just found out that beer tied for 2nd in its category in an 80 brewery/13 state Best WCIPA comp run by the Oregon Brewers Guild.

www.dennybrew.com

Online BrewBama

« Reply #4153 on: August 07, 2023, 08:54:23 pm »
Well done!

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4154 on: August 13, 2023, 05:35:10 pm »
I made a German pils this weekend, loosely patterned after the Pfriem Pils recipe from Dave Carpenter's Lager book. My version uses 95% Viking Pilsner Zero Malt and 5% Carafoam to hit ~1.046 s.g. Hallertauer Mittelfreuh, Tettnang, and Saaz in the boil, with Tettnang and Saaz in a whirlpool addition, around 36 IBU. I'm using Diamond Lager (Lallemand) for the yeast, because I absolutely love that variety!
Facebook: Farke Brewing