Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Direct Drive Grain Mill....  (Read 6815 times)

Offline mxrob

• 1st Kit
  • StoneHouse Brewer
    • StoneHouse Brewery
Direct Drive Grain Mill....
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:56:31 am »
Just finished our new grain mill. Using a Monster Mill 3 with the stainless rollers and 1/2 drive shaft upgrade. I have the hopper extensions for our large 10 gallon batch grain bills. I'm driving it with a 1/2 hp 1725 RPM 115v motor through a 10:1 Dodge/Reliance Tigear 56/133-10 gearbox directly coupled to the input shaft using a Lovejoy spider coupling all purchased on ebay. Fabricated a nice handled cover to keep crud out when not in use.

The bucket shelf has a guide to center the Homer Bucket under the bottom of the mill. I used some H bracket brushes that I picked up from Grainger to guide the milled grain into the bucket. The frame is fabricated from TIG welded 1" square tubing. The upper shelf is 3/16 carbon steel and the bucket shelf is 11ga CS.

Wasn't really sure if 172.5 RPM was going to be enough but we are very pleased with how quickly the mill can crack open our grain mix. Plenty of power to fill the hopper and flick on the switch without a whimper.  :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:42:18 am by mxrob »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Direct Drive Grain Mill....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:58:07 am »
sweet!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:47:30 am »
I am continually amazed at the quality and craftsmanship of these projects. Well done sir.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mxrob

• 1st Kit
  • StoneHouse Brewer
    • StoneHouse Brewery
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 03:32:38 pm »
Thanks gents! No more over pulverised "Gold Medal Flour" grain bills for our new brew system!  8)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 03:41:22 pm »
That. Is. Epic!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 05:50:16 pm »
Maybe a stupid question but I am not too familiar with electric motors and gear reduction (awesome idea by the way).  What if the motor is a 1hp with 3450rpms.  I notice that the gearbox stats imput of 1750rpms, would I hurt one or the other with the higher motor attached?

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 06:01:30 pm »
Awesome. Very clean. That's some craftsmanship there.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline mxrob

• 1st Kit
  • StoneHouse Brewer
    • StoneHouse Brewery
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:21:40 am »
Maybe a stupid question but I am not too familiar with electric motors and gear reduction (awesome idea by the way).  What if the motor is a 1hp with 3450rpms.  I notice that the gearbox stats imput of 1750rpms, would I hurt one or the other with the higher motor attached?

Yes, all gearboxes are designed for a certain load max at a certain RPM... including the lubricant used in the box. Since you aren't actually going to need 1 hp the horsepower rating would only be a problem if you were to load the gearbox to the point that more than the gearbox's rated HP was required to do the work. But the RPM (doubled) would be an issue. The worm gear design and even the lubricant used is based on not only load but speed. Doubling the input speed would very likely overheat the gearbox. That would also wear out the mill bushings much faster. Besides, you don't need that many RPM to mill your grain... we are very pleased with the 172.5 RPM our mill is running at. It mills the grain more than fast enough without producing a dust storm. Like any piece of equipment... running it as slow as possible while still getting the job done is the best practice for equipment longevity. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:23:46 am by mxrob »