Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Craft Beer and Alcoholism  (Read 18414 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Craft Beer and Alcoholism
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2014, 07:35:59 am »
A lot of small breweries put their big beers in bombers (22 oz) because they fill them on semi-automatic but mostly manual machines and it's not worth the labor to fill 12 oz bottles with that process.

Our next big purchase is going to be a Maheen filler and when that happens most of our low ABV beers will go in 6 packs and higher will be in 4 packs. But we will keep pumping out some bombers too.

Hey fellas - feel free to share 'em. You don't have to drink the whole thing yourself.  ;)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2014, 07:46:53 am »

Hey fellas - feel free to share 'em. You don't have to drink the whole thing yourself.  ;)

That's what I thought bombers were for.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2014, 07:48:30 am »

That's what I thought bombers were for.

I've been known to share a 12 oz BCS, Dragon's Milk, or other high-test offering.  Keeping a bomber to yourself just seems greedy.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2014, 07:53:40 am »
I've been known to kill a few myself, no problem.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 08:06:59 am »
I've been known to kill a few myself, no problem.

yeah - same here - I generally share bombers with friends, but sometimes I kill them myself.  I LOVE Enjoy By and I will drink one all by myself when I get them.  its usually my only beer of the night, but so what.

man its kind of funny, the turn this thread has taken.  "I only have a nip of beer on Saturday nights" etc.  BS - we all love and appreciate beer, and I'd bet drink a fair amount of it.  Brew beer.  Drink it.  But have the discipline to regulate yourself - you all know when you've been drinking too much - your body has a funny way of clue-ing you in - listen to it.  If you're feeling run down, groggy, etc or just feel like man, I've been having 2-4 pints every day for the past 2 weeks, etc.  Take time off - not only will your body appreciate not imbibing poison for a while, but when you do get back to "killing your brain with beer - H. Simpson" you'll likely find that your sense of taste and smell will be greater, at least I do. 

I don't think taking time off signals a "problem" its just giving yourself a chance to recuperate and get back to 'center'.  I personally find that after a few days of no beer I sleep better, am more productive in the morning, and my runs and other athletic activities are much, much better than if I even had only 1 beer the previous day. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2014, 08:11:17 am »
OK.  I'll own up to it.  I will occasionally keep a bomber to myself.

Perhaps more often than occasionally...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 08:16:56 am »
More and more I love bars that list abv and serving size and do some quick math when deciding what to order. After all, an 8oz snifter of 12% abv beer has less alcohol than a 20oz glass of 5% beer. Not that I'd always choose the snifter, but I'm just trying to be conscious of what I drink.

Totally agree. The more info, the better.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2014, 08:35:07 am »
I find that homebrewers are more honest about talking about alcoholism than a lot of the rest of the craft beer community. Some of the craft beer forums online seem to ban even mentioning it and there's sort of an attitude that alcoholism is just for people who drink a lot of AAL. I wonder how many people who spend all their free time chasing down and trading for beer aren't just chasing a different compulsion. I've seen people talk about how they acquire so much they need to drink several beers each night just to work through their cellar. That certainly sounds a set up for alcoholism.

I am very careful about my drinking because I'm surrounded by alcohol and alcoholics. My dad and older brother are both alcoholics. They both have jobs and don't have problems getting things done but once they start drinking there is no cutting themselves off. My dad stopped drinking shortly after I started homebrewing. That sucks that I can't share my beer with him but I'd rather him be healthy. My older brother still drinks but he gets really serious about his drinking when he's depressed, which was pretty much all of 2010-12 for him. The legal community is full of happy hours and alcoholics. Most networking is done with food and/or alcohol so it's easy get caught up drinking way too much because networking is an integral part of gaining influence in the community and getting client referrals. So I am very limited in how much I drink and under what conditions I drink. I normally only drink on the weekends and I give myself a limit. If I drink during the week I drink less on the weekends (usually) and I try not to do that very often.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 08:41:17 am »
I believe in Oregon anything over 9% has to be served in an 8 oz. pour. Might be 10 oz.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 10:54:32 am »
I still keg some of my beers, but it's so easy to just grab a mug and start pouring...and then refilling. I've switched to a lot of swing top beer bottles which makes me stop and pause to think about "do I really need that extra beer".

While I'm not an insider to the industry I often see a lot of my friends who are on in the inside slowly gaining weight...and a lot of it. Sometimes they just seem to leave the industry without much of a word, I've never speculated much on why, but I wonder if sometimes it isn't due to the weight gain/beer intake/health issues.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:56:15 am by Wheat_Brewer »
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 11:23:56 am »
I'm a geologist, I have about 45 or 50 geologists working for me so we hang out and do geology things.  We go mineral and fossil hunting, we take hikes to observe the local geology, we sit around and discuss geology(while drinking beer). 

If I worked in the beer industry I would hang out with beer people, do tastings, comparisons etc. I can see how easy it would be to get in the habit of drinking during the work day with customers or other people I interacted with in the normal course of my job duties, and before long I'd have a problem.  OTOH it would be very difficult to be a teetotaler and work in the beer industry, even though that would be a much better route to take for my personal health and life.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 11:44:09 am »
I still keg some of my beers, but it's so easy to just grab a mug and start pouring...and then refilling.

I know what you mean!  I'm trying to limit my drinking at home to meals and avoiding refills.  On the plus side, I can easily put a nice big head (~4 oz) on every pint I pour from the keg.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 01:49:11 pm »
What I always try and keep in mind is that you have to apply your beer ABV to a 4-5% beer. If you're enjoying a 7.5% IPA and you have two of them, you are drinking 3 BMC beers. During my most recent physical the doctor told me 1-2 a day is OK, over that is a problem. I try and keep this in mind, as well as take period breaks from time to time. Everything in moderation.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 01:52:59 pm »
Thought of another thing that bugs me alittle... I don't like when breweries or craft beer bars don't sell half pints.  I really do enjoy a half pint much more than a pint typically.  Mainly because I had have more variety.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 01:55:26 pm »
Thought of another thing that bugs me alittle... I don't like when breweries or craft beer bars don't sell half pints.  I really do enjoy a half pint much more than a pint typically.  Mainly because I had have more variety.

Same here. I like to sample several more than have a huge quantity of any one, regardless of how good.
Jon H.