Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My entries are going to be disqualified  (Read 5747 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: My entries are going to be disqualified
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 07:17:08 pm »
Both of my entries are borderline within their style categories. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 07:32:12 pm »
Just noticed the obliterate requirement on the caps!  Thankfully.  My caps are the simple Brewers Best so they have a big B on them....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Stevie

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 07:43:46 pm »
I have caps from a brewery. I need to get a good marker.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 08:08:25 pm »
I wonder if anyone has ever entered a category 1 in a Sam Adams bottle with a blotted out Sam Adams cap? Would really make you wonder huh? Especially if it was like a 49 point beer...

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 05:24:37 am »
With no sediment, it would probably get dinged for oxidation..... :P
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 06:31:20 am »

I wonder if anyone has ever entered a category 1 in a Sam Adams bottle with a blotted out Sam Adams cap? Would really make you wonder huh? Especially if it was like a 49 point beer...
i always wondered if anyone has ever simply removed the label off a commercial beer like Sierra, re-capped and entered it as their own
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 06:33:55 am »
It's always possible that someone could do it.  Basically works on the honor system.  For the most part there are not big stakes so cheating would get you very little... I guess if you were really insecure you might get respect from your peers (but for beer you didn't brew so who cares?)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 06:49:10 am »
I am not a hyper competitive person. 
It's funny but I've never seen beer competitions as competitive against other brewers.  I am always happy for the people who win.

Unless udubdawg and I have a cider going against each other in the finals...then I hope to crush him!!!  ;) ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 07:18:21 am »
The Boston Lager would get dinged as being out of style in cat 1.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 07:29:48 am »

i always wondered if anyone has ever simply removed the label off a commercial beer like Sierra, re-capped and entered it as their own

That has happened. I believe it was at the Indians State Fair Brewer's Cup? The entrant was banned for a year, or life? I can't remember.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 07:38:23 am »
I am not a hyper competitive person. 
It's funny but I've never seen beer competitions as competitive against other brewers.  I am always happy for the people who win.

Unless udubdawg and I have a cider going against each other in the finals...then I hope to crush him!!!  ;) ;D

"hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things..."

...I hope I don't trip when I wave at theDarkSide from the stage.    8)
(with a limit of 4 entries, at least we know Jeff Carlson competing on his home turf can't win them ALL!)

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 07:42:23 am »
That has happened. I believe it was at the Indians State Fair Brewer's Cup? The entrant was banned for a year, or life? I can't remember.
I know a guy who moved here from Indiana. He said they figured it out because the entrant just blacked out the breweries cap with marker. It's hearsay, but I'd want to be damn sure to sanction someone for that. I guess they could taste it next to the 'real' beer. The cap/bottle type might be decent evidence.

I doubt it happens much, maybe a little in competitions with good prizes. Still, a commercial beer will score well - especially a fresh version of a classic style - but I don't think it would be a slam dunk every time.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Stevie

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 07:50:35 am »
Cap is not good evidence cheating. I have 500 or so caps from a fairly well known Northern California brewery. I don't like to waste, so I will use them up before I buy new ones. Sure, I could buy caps specific for comps, but I don't always know if or what will be submitted.

When I started brewing overrun caps were the normal at the LHBS. Is this no longer the case?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:14:00 am by dbeechum »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:20 am »
The Boston Lager would get dinged as being out of style in cat 1.

Having to fit cleanly into a style is the main reason why I have avoided beer competitions like the plague. Boston Lager is one of the beers that got me interested in brewing. The other beer was another contract brew called Old Heurich.

Speaking of contract brews, I remember when Boston Beer was drawing a lot of fire from the amateur brewing community in the nineties for pretending to be a "real deal" microbrewer (Boston Lager was brewed by the Pittsburgh Brewing Company at that point in time).  How did Jim Koch curry favor with the amateur brewing community?  He co-opted it by making a portion Boston Beer's supply of Halltertau Mittlefreuh available to the amateur brewing community and sponsoring Boston Beer's own national-level amateur brewing contest.  I do not recall how much I paid for my Halltertau Mittlefreuh pellets, but I do recall that is was a relatively good deal at the time.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 12:05:37 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:44 am »
Cap is not good evidence cheating. I have 500 or so caps from a fairly well known Northern California brewery. I don't like to waste, so I will use them up before I buy new ones. Sure, I could buy caps specific for comps, but I don't always know if or what will be submitted.

When I started brewing overrun caps were the normal at the LHBS. Is this no longer the case?

I am no expert in competitions but the few I have looked at all require unmarked caps to avoid that problem.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing