Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pink Peppercorm Saison  (Read 3208 times)

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Pink Peppercorm Saison
« on: April 29, 2010, 11:01:07 am »
I know, I know. But it is for a gift. This weekend for National Homebrew Day I will be brewing my regular 10 gallon Saison recipe but taking some wort out and steeping some pink peppercorns, then putting that liquid in 5 gallons to ferment.

My question is how much peppercorns to use? A tablespoon? 1/2 oz? Should I coursley cruise them of leave them whole? Should I put them in the fermenter or just strain the steeped liquid in?

Ok, that was more than one question. Since I have never used pink peppercorns I appreciate the advice.

More info:
Description of pink peppercorns from the Spice Shop:

These Reunion Island pink peppercorns have a fruity, nutty, sweet flavor and are very delicate and light compared to true peppercorns.

Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pink Peppercorm Saison
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:22:35 am »
I frequently use green, white and pink peppercorns in things like tripels and saisons.  Added the last 5 min. of the boil, I find 10-15 peppercorns to be about right for my tastes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:13:32 am »
I'm curious:  Does it matter if peppercorns are whole or crushed.  If so, why? 
Are the oils or phenols on or near the surface of the peppercorn and, therefore, extractable in the beer? 
Does crushing increase utilization (i.e., by breaking the outer layer, or increased surface area, or access to the internal part of the corn)?
Does adding it to the last 5 minutes of the boil do anything more than sanitize the peppercorns? 
If so, then recipes should take into account pepper "utilization" by mentioning when they're added, how long they stay in the wort or beer, and whether they're whole or crushed (e.g. coarse, medium, or fine).

How about other grains or spices (e.g., Grains of Paradise, Star Anise, Juniper Berries, Ginger)?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:42:11 am »
I lightly crush the peppercorns.  Same with GOP.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 05:28:37 am »
Are't pink peppercorns not really peppercorns? White and green are, and are hot, but pink are just berries of some rose plant variety with a slightly sweet taste. I used them in one of my brews, and can't say the affected the flavor much.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA