Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Northern Brewer 3 Gallon Keg System  (Read 5863 times)

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
Northern Brewer 3 Gallon Keg System
« on: December 14, 2014, 06:20:18 am »
I am thinking of buying the Northern Brewer 3 Gallon system but I would be interested in hearing some opinions about it. I know very little about kegging. I brew 3 or 2.5 gallon batches.
Since I have absolutely no kegging equipment I would like to get started with an eye to the future. I could imagine having (2-3)  kegs and bottling from the kegs for an occasional bottle.

The Northern Brewer 3 gallon system is 229.00 but it's 20% off today,
It is the same as their 5 gallon system ( that's what they say).

1.The poppets can't be removed or replaced. Is that a bad thing or a deal breaker?
2. New 3 gallon kegs are 129.00. Can others manufacturers be used?
3. I can't tell if a tank is included
4. Are there better ways to go. I've seen systems from Adventures In Home Brewing and Midwest Supplies that are priced in the same range .

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/kegging/draft-systems/3-gallon-keg-system-new-keg.html
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:47:41 am by banjo-guy »

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Northern Brewer 3 Gallon Keg System
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 06:39:56 am »
I brew 3 gallon batches and use a 3 gallon keg exclusively.
1. I just soak the connecters in PBW and  have not had any infection issues
2.That's what I paid for my new keg at my LHBS.  You can find them used.
3. I can't either
4. Its easy to clean one keg vs 52 bottles. Your CO2 will last longer and carb faster than a 5 gallon. I still bottle if its a beer I need to age (I only have one keg).  I still need to master bottling from a keg for competitions.  You will need some type of refrigeration may need to be dedicated.

Start kegging. Its a hoot to share draft beer with friends.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 07:12:36 am »
Looking at the 5 gallon keg system's product page it says it doesn't come with a co2 tank.  So I would imagine it's not included.  It looks like you get a new keg, a new regulator, and a picnic tap line.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 08:50:01 am »
Depending on shipping thats a pretty good deal.  i am surprised if the poppets cant be removed? I flush mine with PBW and lube them as needed. They can go south on ya so it would be a deal breaker for me especially paying that much. One other thing is that depending on if your gonna throw it in the fridge or have a designated fridge for it. 2 1/2 Gal work better in the standard fridge without adjusting shelves and what not. Just go to your local Norco/medical supply for 02 tank they are ugly and SS but easier to exchange. Check williamsbrewing  also.

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 10:37:48 am »
I thought that the poppets might have to be replaced at some point when I saw them for sale as a separate item. I'm not even sure what the poppets are for.

More Beer has a ball lock kit for 249.00.
It has an Italian 2.5 keg and 5 lb tank. The price with free shipping is 249.00. It's out of stock but I'm in no hugh rush.

In just not sure what things really matter when buying a kegging system. I want to keep it to 2.5 or 3 gallons so that I can easily put it in my mini fridge.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:41:59 am by banjo-guy »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 10:55:20 am »
Do you need it now? AiH runs sales on new 2.5 gallon kegs a few times a year, and they tend to run about $70-80 apiece. I just waited for a sale and pieced my system together. I started out with 4 new kegs, a new aluminum CO2 tank, cobra tap, fittings, an extra set of O-rings, plus a portable CO2 charger and extra set of CO2 canisters for it. I got it for just over $470 (including shipping). Plus I got another $20 worth of reward points, which I put towards the next keg sale they ran.

Needless to say, if you aren't in a huge rush, the subscribe to AiH's newsletter and jump when they run their next sale. You can score a much better deal there.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 10:56:08 am »
Poppets are the tiny springs that keep the posts sealed up. I had one keg with stuck poppets. I yanked em out and replaced them with universal poppets. I don't know if this will work with all kegs

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 03:52:18 pm »
Poppets are the tiny springs that keep the posts sealed up. I had one keg with stuck poppets. I yanked em out and replaced them with universal poppets. I don't know if this will work with all kegs
This. I replaced all my poppets with universals. On the new kegs they can in fact be yanked out.
Jesse

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 06:14:18 pm »
In the text from NB it says that the poppets can't be replaced or removed from this particular keg.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 08:06:06 pm »
This deal from AIH seems like a much better buy.

http://www.homebrewing.org/FOUR-3-Gallon-Cornelius-Style-Pin-Lock-Used-Kegs-_p_4673.html

And you can replace the poppets.

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 08:32:54 pm »
I am not going to buy from NB at this time. I think it makes sense to learn about kegging before I jump in.
I didn't want to pass up the 20% discount but I can wait for the system that is right for me. There will always be another sale.
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 06:40:27 am »
In the text from NB it says that the poppets can't be replaced or removed from this particular keg.
Well, that's simply not true. A needle nose pliers does the trick. Go to AiH for kegs, they're great to deal with.
Jesse

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 08:13:33 am »
That's my plan. Thanks.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 09:28:07 am »
NB and midwest are the same company and frequently alternate between running the same or similar sales. Keep an eye out on both sites if you want to jump on one of their deals down the road.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 10:17:50 am »
Do you need it now? AiH runs sales on new 2.5 gallon kegs a few times a year, and they tend to run about $70-80 apiece. I just waited for a sale and pieced my system together. I started out with 4 new kegs, a new aluminum CO2 tank, cobra tap, fittings, an extra set of O-rings, plus a portable CO2 charger and extra set of CO2 canisters for it. I got it for just over $470 (including shipping). Plus I got another $20 worth of reward points, which I put towards the next keg sale they ran.

Needless to say, if you aren't in a huge rush, the subscribe to AiH's newsletter and jump when they run their next sale. You can score a much better deal there.

I, too, started out with a new aluminum tank.  Not worth it in retrospect.  Just get a used one and swap them out at refill time.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton