Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: brown ale with munich base  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
brown ale with munich base
« on: January 05, 2015, 09:15:35 am »
I am looking for a nice smooth and malty brown ale with subdued roasted qualities. I like the idea of using Munich for all of the base malt but worried about going overboard. I have only brewed one 100% munich malt beer which was quite a while ago so I don't really have much experience.

Any input on something like this?
82% munich 10L
10% flaked oats
5% crystal
3% midnight wheat? (enough to get appropriate color)

Probably just a Magnum FWH addition to reach an IBU:OG of 0.50
S04 yeast
Brown malty water profile?

Not sure if this would classify as a brown or not...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:20:35 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: brown ale with munich base
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:30:29 am »
If you get rid of the crystal malt and change to a clean altbier yeast, this would make a great alt.  Or it could be a sort of alt/brown ale hybrid.  In any case, it looks very tasty to me.  No adjustments really needed.  To ensure good conversion, do a longer mash than usual, maybe 75-90 minutes around 150-ish.  Yum.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:33:25 am »
If you get rid of the crystal malt and change to a clean altbier yeast, this would make a great alt.  Or it could be a sort of alt/brown ale hybrid.  In any case, it looks very tasty to me.  No adjustments really needed.  To ensure good conversion, do a longer mash than usual, maybe 75-90 minutes around 150-ish.  Yum.

Thanks! I already do an Alt hybrid type beer so looking for something closer to a brown even if it isn't a typical one. Maybe I will toast the flaked oats as well.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:34:56 am by goschman »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:34:57 am »
you could even toss an lb of pils in there to ensure conversion. The munich can probably handle it but with the flaked oats it would be a nice safety net.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:53:25 am »
you could even toss an lb of pils in there to ensure conversion. The munich can probably handle it but with the flaked oats it would be a nice safety net.

Thanks for the advice. I will probably throw some pilsner in to be safe. I won't be getting around to this one for a bit. Gotta wait until there is an opening on the rotating dark tap
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:55:31 am by goschman »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 10:23:09 am »
Take a look at this for an example.  I think it's pretty much what you're looking for.

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NotiBrownAle
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 11:00:39 am »
Take a look at this for an example.  I think it's pretty much what you're looking for.

Hey...you only have 12% munich in there. ;D

By the way Denny, I have always been curious about that Galena addition in your Noti.
Was that something you had to use up...or is that a part of your recipe overall plan?

Thanks

goshman - love the idea of a "rotating dark tap"!  :)  have fun.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 11:40:09 am »

By the way Denny, I have always been curious about that Galena addition in your Noti.
Was that something you had to use up...or is that a part of your recipe overall plan?

Thanks

I have looked at the Noti recipe a few times. Looks great but not sure it is what I am going for with this attempt.

I have 4 taps so I have been trying to come up with ideas to help determine my brewing schedule. Here is what I have come up with. The problem is I probably won't brew each more than once a year since I am brewing every 3-4 weeks currently. 

rotating dark: porter, black lager, brown, etc
rotating light: American wheat, kolsch, blonde
rotating hoppy: APA, IPA
rotating miscellaneous: saison, alt, Oktoberfest, etc

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 11:44:59 am »

Thanks

The recipe I "adpated" (Eugene Brown ale) from Noonan's Seven Barrels Brewery book used it and back in the day it was pretty easy to find.  These days I sub in Columbus and use Magnum for bittering.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 12:00:40 pm »

Thanks

I have looked at the Noti recipe a few times. Looks great but not sure it is what I am going for with this attempt.

I have 4 taps so I have been trying to come up with ideas to help determine my brewing schedule. Here is what I have come up with. The problem is I probably won't brew each more than once a year since I am brewing every 3-4 weeks currently. 

That is a pretty tasty list.

I brewed a Munich Brown Ale with 80% Munich. I will be kegging it later this week, but the sample was very good. Just tapped my Munich Rye Porter yesterday, and it is simply incredible. I think you will be pleased with your recipe. I threw in some 6-row to help with the conversion on the Brown ale.
Kyle M.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 12:06:12 pm »
One thing I can recommend is using chocolate instead of black malt. My last porter had no black malt and I have a brown ale bottled now using chocolate for color. They both have a nice balanced malty roastiness that is not at all harsh. That being said I have not tried midnight wheat yet. My brown I call a hybrid brown, it has American (homegrown cascade and galena) hops and Wy1968. Its super quaffable.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 01:07:33 pm »

Thanks

That is a pretty tasty list.

I brewed a Munich Brown Ale with 80% Munich. I will be kegging it later this week, but the sample was very good. Just tapped my Munich Rye Porter yesterday, and it is simply incredible. I think you will be pleased with your recipe. I threw in some 6-row to help with the conversion on the Brown ale.

Let me know how your brown turns out. I was also thinking of doing something similar for my porter so we must be on the same page ;)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 01:10:00 pm »
One thing I can recommend is using chocolate instead of black malt. My last porter had no black malt and I have a brown ale bottled now using chocolate for color. They both have a nice balanced malty roastiness that is not at all harsh. That being said I have not tried midnight wheat yet. My brown I call a hybrid brown, it has American (homegrown cascade and galena) hops and Wy1968. Its super quaffable.

I just used midnight wheat in a black lager at a similar percentage so I should be able to judge its harshness. Since there is no husk, it is supposed to be very smooth at lower percentages. If the black lager doesn't have a desired roasted quality, I will probably go with chocolate or pale chocolate.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 07:26:57 am »
kmccaf, did you get this kegged yet? What are your impressions up to this point?

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 07:34:23 am »
Kegged it on Saturday. I will taste it tonight, and let you know. I decided to dry hop it with some Hallertau Tradition and Styrian Aurora.
Kyle M.