Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: blood orange saison  (Read 9779 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: blood orange saison
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 09:37:11 am »
I just read in Experimental Homebrewing  Drew's Saison Sangreal. He adds 3 liters of orange juice to the 5 gallons of beer after first fermentation. Has anyone actually tried this? Looks like an awful lot of juice...

So, to be slightly back on track, if I may, no one has tried to make Saison Sangreal?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 02:14:04 pm »
So, to be slightly back on track, if I may, no one has tried to make Saison Sangreal?

I have - it was awesome. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2015, 01:28:19 am »

Hm, I was looking for independent corroboration. I'll have to do with you then  :P
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2015, 01:33:40 am »

Hm, I was looking for independent corroboration. I'll have to do with you then  :P

Haha, just kidding. Will probably brew this in a couple of weeks, when Sicilian blood oranges are at their peak...
I mean it,, the best thing I ever had in my entire life was fresh blood orange juice in Feb-March in Ferrara, Italy. Drank gallons. The Italians know to keep the best of everything for themselves.
Frank P.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2015, 07:57:30 am »
The recipe was formulated for the Moro's we see here in SoCal. If the sicilian's you're using are the Sanguinello variety then I suspect the substitution will be straightforward. If you're using Tarocco oranges, from my quick reading, you'll get less color and less bitterness, but I think you'll be fine on the first pass.

(FWIW, I used that much Moro juice cause I had it on hand after I got the oranges for a steal and I was really trying to get a deep color. The beer ended up being the color of a good blood orange soda so an obvious pink.)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2015, 08:34:50 am »
The recipe was formulated for the Moro's we see here in SoCal. If the sicilian's you're using are the Sanguinello variety then I suspect the substitution will be straightforward. If you're using Tarocco oranges, from my quick reading, you'll get less color and less bitterness, but I think you'll be fine on the first pass.

(FWIW, I used that much Moro juice cause I had it on hand after I got the oranges for a steal and I was really trying to get a deep color. The beer ended up being the color of a good blood orange soda so an obvious pink.)

There's no label on the oranges, but at the look of it they are Tarocco. Not very bloody. I would prefer Moro or Sanguinello, but I'm an organic sucker, and not sure whether I can find any other type.
Frank P.