Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's your favorite thing about being a Homebrewer?  (Read 4178 times)

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
What's your favorite thing about being a Homebrewer?
« on: January 07, 2015, 06:58:09 pm »
Just went and poured a pint and the question just popped in my head. Thought it could be a fun thread.

Aside from just the "I made this" aspect, For me, one of my favorite things is more to the aspect of kegging. I enjoy the end of the night and I just want one more taste but not an entire bottle/can. I can just pour a couple of swallows for a night cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: What's your favorite thing about being a Homebrewer?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:22:22 pm »
Crack of dawn, sun just coming over the mountains and filtering early morning light through the trees. Cup of steaming coffee in my hand and the roar of the burner in my ears. The grainy, cereal smell of the mash as I dough in. And the grassy, floral aroma as soon as I add the first charge of hops.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:30:27 pm »
The I made that feeling is great, but can be a double edged sword when things don't turnout right.

The start of an early morning brewday is good too. It reminds me of camping. Everything is quite, got some coffee, and I'm just sitting watching a fire.

The best is the brew buddies. Most of my closest friends are folks I met in brew club.

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 07:31:40 pm »
I can see now that HBA needs the "like post" button. That is a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 07:39:05 pm »
Like 30 minutes ago a neighbor popped in the door, said "heard there's a new beer on tap" pulled a pint and sat to chat for a few:) life is good!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 08:13:22 pm »
Crack of dawn, sun just coming over the mountains and filtering early morning light through the trees. Cup of steaming coffee in my hand and the roar of the burner in my ears. The grainy, cereal smell of the mash as I dough in. And the grassy, floral aroma as soon as I add the first charge of hops.
Nice perfect storm reference
- Charles

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 08:18:46 pm »
nicely stated...I also enjoy the creative aspect of tweaking recipes or coming up with new ones
Dan Chisholm

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:19:10 pm »
I would say being able to combine cooking, science and drinking into one great hobby that goes well with the fish I catch.
- Charles

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 08:21:51 pm »
To me it's watching my friends enjoy the product.  The look on their faces, the "whoa, you made this?"  I had a friend turn down a bottle of Deschutes Inversion when stopping by on Monday.  "Oh, I thought you had some more homebrew."

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 11:46:37 pm »
Two words: culinary science.  But beer is way cooler than rigatoni.  Make it once, share it for a month.  That and the future.  My next beer is always my best beer.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 05:58:00 am »
Being able to create something I am proud of.

Sure there are better beers out there but actually being able to select the grains, hops, yeast. And for some that mess with their water profile, their water. Then figuring out a mash and hop schedule, what temp to ferment at and the right dose of dry hops. Figuring out all of that and when done correctly, is something that makes me feel good.

Another plus of homebrewing is always having a good supply of beer on hand. Whenever I talk with a friend from out of state or a family member they always ask, what do you have in the fridge? or what's brewing?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 06:12:37 am »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 06:13:21 am »
Don't rub it in Jim.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 06:19:11 am »
I agree with all this stuff, especially the early morning brewing, drinking coffee thing. But for me, I love working on a recipe until I get exactly what I pictured in my head. We've all made beers that weren't totally what we envisioned, but they were damn good anyway. Happens all the time. But drinking a new beer with a buddy, knowing I nailed it, is a pretty cool feeling.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 06:30:31 am »
Don't rub it in Jim.
It just seemed to fit his post so well