Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's your favorite thing about being a Homebrewer?  (Read 4179 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: What's your favorite thing about being a Homebrewer?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 07:18:26 am »
I really dig doing something that is so ancient; something that humans have been doing since they began civilization: something that practically defines civilization. Homebrewing has never been a distinct "hobby" to me; the reason I homebrew is the same reason I grow my own fruits and vegetables, raise chickens and keep bees. Its a way of life that is connected to the seasons and has no reward without first some learning, toil, and failures. Nothing beats drinking a homebrew outside near the garden at the end of a long summer day snacking on fresh cucumbers and tomatoes as the chickens peck at insects nearby and watching the honeybees gather nectar from the clover.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 08:22:21 am »
To me it's watching my friends enjoy the product.  The look on their faces, the "whoa, you made this?"  I had a friend turn down a bottle of Deschutes Inversion when stopping by on Monday.  "Oh, I thought you had some more homebrew."

This is it for me too. At my age, most of my friends have a notion of home brew that was forged in the very early years when fresh ingredients, state of the art equipment, and the wealth of knowledge that we enjoy now in the books that are being published and on forums such as this one were non-existent, and home brew probably was sub-standard. When I offer them a beer, they hesitate and a look of terror comes over their face. The best thing is to see that look replaced with joy and disbelief as they smile and say, "you made this?"
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 08:34:55 am »
This is a tough one!

But definitely the DIY aspect of homebrewing - from formulating your own recipes to making your own equipment. Currently in the process of setting up a my own mini yeast lab and enjoying every minute of it! Can't wait to give it a run!
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 08:39:45 am »
uh... the beer.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 08:52:51 am »
Funny, I hate getting up for working out or for work, but I never have had a problem jumping out of bed at 5am to get the HLT (and coffee) going.

Brewing has sort of turned into my version of meditation/zen practice in a way.  On occasion, I brew with others, but the majority of the time, its just me and my dogs in the quiet garage just 'being', creating, and enjoying each other's company.  Its a special time for me, and one of the only times I truly get to disconnect and re-ground myself.

As for the product, I've gotten to the point with a few exceptions, a majority of the time, my beer is better, fresher, or more suited to my tastes than what I buy.  Couple that with my love of cooking, I am able to put out some food and drink that is nourishing to my soul and that of my friends.  There is just an intangible feeling of goodwill there that cannot be valued nor beat.  Its not for compliments or approval, just feels good.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 08:57:03 am »
I really dig doing something that is so ancient; something that humans have been doing since they began civilization: something that practically defines civilization. Homebrewing has never been a distinct "hobby" to me; the reason I homebrew is the same reason I grow my own fruits and vegetables, raise chickens and keep bees. Its a way of life that is connected to the seasons and has no reward without first some learning, toil, and failures. Nothing beats drinking a homebrew outside near the garden at the end of a long summer day snacking on fresh cucumbers and tomatoes as the chickens peck at insects nearby and watching the honeybees gather nectar from the clover.

this is a big part of it for me. Being in a 'civilized' career and living in fairly 'civilized' areas of the world I have to find my connection with the human where and when I can. and having a hand, at an intimate level, with creating one of the things that gives us joy.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 08:59:33 am »
To me it's setting aside a day that is mine to spend doing something I love to do. Drinking coffee, snacking on salted in the shell peanuts and an occasional cigar in order during the process. Look to the west and see the mountains (only when not obstructed by the steam of Jim's brew kettle).

Oh and don't forget the "Hot Scotchies" when draining the mash tun!

So, my answer is having a great way to spend a day!

Bruce

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 09:09:13 am »

this is a big part of it for me. Being in a 'civilized' career and living in fairly 'civilized' areas of the world I have to find my connection with the human where and when I can. and having a hand, at an intimate level, with creating one of the things that gives us joy.

There is a large amount of this for me as well. The gardening, the brewing, the canning, these are also things I just enjoy on an immediate level. I may not know what the end is going to be, but I can focus on the things I am doing in the moment. Doing something over a long period of time from start to finish with a few steps here and a few steps there.... I think it is how immersed I can be in it in such a variety of ways that brings me pleasure.

The smell of the mash while drinking coffee. Rubbing the fresh hops in my hands. Friends and family enjoying it (or not). Good stuff.
Kyle M.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 10:26:40 am »
What's your favorite thing about being a Homebrewer?

The beer.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 10:28:31 am »
I like that it fits into my way of doing things. My friends see as the guy who makes stuff.  Wood working, beer, cheese, retaining walls, lighting setups, home roasted coffee, fixing their cars, band props and sometimes instrument repair, etc.  It's just kind of who I am. 

Having a large number of people appreciate the beer is very satisfying too.  I have successfully moved people from "crap, it's homebrewer" to "hey! what's on tap?" and that is really saying something for me.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 06:12:18 pm »
Crack of dawn, sun just coming over the mountains and filtering early morning light through the trees. Cup of steaming coffee in my hand and the roar of the burner in my ears. The grainy, cereal smell of the mash as I dough in. And the grassy, floral aroma as soon as I add the first charge of hops.

That's a mighty pretty picture Jim. In my case I live deep in a "holler" so it is about 7:00 till the sun finally makes it up over the mountain and peaks down at me through the trees. Same concept though. I'll try to get a picture next time I'm brewing on my back deck.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 06:57:19 pm »
Mine is that dubious trepidation some people have when you hand them a beer and say, "I made that." Then the grin when they take a drink and ask for more.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 09:36:57 pm »
I have always been a huge craft beer fan since before I was even legal to drink. Homebrewing has really elevated my knowledge and appreciation of beer to another level. I've taken the time to develop a decent palate over the years, but once I started brewing I finally understood what I'm tasting. It's like when I started playing guitar back in high school. I was always into listening to music, but once you start playing you gain a much deeper connection and understanding.

The other thing I really love is the whole creative aspect. It's really cool to be able to get an idea in your head and work out all the details to make it happen.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 06:25:26 am »
The people.

Oh, and the beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 07:04:04 am »
Cleaning out the mash tun.

Wait, no.

The creativity and experimentation.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing